The Student Room Group

Computer Science Requirements

I am in year 11 and want to partake in computer science A level. My school does not have the course of Computer Science available but one of my teachers (who is familiar with computer science and A levels) suggested I learn languages in my free time and I would be able to do A level Computer Science.

I am relatively confident in JavaScript and am looking to familiarise myself with another language. I need to know how many languages I should learn and, if possible, which ones would be the most beneficial for me to learn.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Original post by BillyCockell
I am in year 11 and want to partake in computer science A level. My school does not have the course of Computer Science available but one of my teachers (who is familiar with computer science and A levels) suggested I learn languages in my free time and I would be able to do A level Computer Science.

I am relatively confident in JavaScript and am looking to familiarise myself with another language. I need to know how many languages I should learn and, if possible, which ones would be the most beneficial for me to learn.

I just want to mention, you already know a ton more coding than I do, and I'm off to study Computer Science (at Cambridge - just to emphasise the point) next year.

It depends what you're into. I was personally into the theoretical/ mathematical side of Computer Science, so that lead me down a specific path. So, maths, hardware, web design, game design, general software development etc - where would you like to explore first? :biggrin:
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I just want to mention, you already know a ton more coding than I do, and I'm off to study Computer Science (at Cambridge - just to emphasise the point) next year.

It depends what you're into. I was personally into the theoretical/ mathematical side of Computer Science, so that lead me down a specific path. So, maths, hardware, web design, game design, general software development etc - where would you like to explore first? :biggrin:

Much brag, such humble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Much brag, such humble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah of course, knew somebody would moan.

It's anonymous, so not really bragging. Plus I'm giving him a boost of confidence by comparing, saying he's done more than me, and I'm doing okay.
Ah of course, knew somebody would moan.

It's anonymous, so not really bragging. Plus I'm giving him a boost of confidence by comparing, saying he's done more than me, and I'm doing okay.

I know dude, just being sarcastic is all :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, this helped :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest