Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As part of the evening meal for the offer holder visit day for Durham Uni, the dress code says 'smart'.

I understand smart causal, or formal/ white/ black tie but I'm not really sure what to go with for 'smart'.

I know that my college is traditional and that dresses and heels are worn to 'formals' for girls - should I wear this, or less dressy? Not sure if black jeans and a nice top will cut it though. Smart almost sounds like business attire!

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Smart? I'd say like sixth form uniform type clothes, like a suit and tie.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably constructive ambiguity. Because it's an offer holders' day they don't want to give an actual, specific dress code because some people might not be able to follow it/like it etc.

Business attire isn't really appropriate for an evening meal though. Either wear what you would for black tie or pick something less formal.

ReputationRep:
    If I got that message I'd probably go for black jeans, shirt and blazer. Can't go too far wrong with something like that I don't think?

(Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Smart? I'd say like sixth form uniform type clothes, like a suit and tie.
    Lol I regularly turn up to my sixth form college in trackies and a sweatshirt ☺️

ReputationRep:

All set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khaleesi98)
    If I got that message I'd probably go for black jeans, shirt and blazer. Can't go too far wrong with something like that I don't think?

Lol I regularly turn up to my sixth form college in trackies and a sweatshirt ☺️
    Mine had a dress code.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think this fits in with the "smart" dress code.

Guaranteed a place there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han-)
    As part of the evening meal for the offer holder visit day for Durham Uni, the dress code says 'smart'.

I understand smart causal, or formal/ white/ black tie but I'm not really sure what to go with for 'smart'.

I know that my college is traditional and that dresses and heels are worn to 'formals' for girls - should I wear this, or less dressy? Not sure if black jeans and a nice top will cut it though. Smart almost sounds like business attire!

Any ideas?

I think 'smart' is a step down from 'formal'. They want people to look nice but also feel relaxed and comfortable.

A nice top, slim/skinny black trousers and some pumps would do the trick.

Or a simple dress.

ReputationRep:
    I think there will probably be a range of different interpretations of smart at the event. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Though I would say that black jeans is probably taking it too far, a simple dress would be safe, though I reckon you could get away with a plain ish skirt (long fitted type) and nice top.

ReputationRep:
    personally I'd go for a lounge suit

ReputationRep:
    Suit and tie only.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.