Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I am resorting to student room as a desperate last resort for any helpful advice, please no cliche answers, I'm not the type to post on any forum type website but I don't know what else to do, I would rather not speak to my teachers as they are unhelpful and they still see me as the mischievous kid that I used to be in year 8, which annoys the hell out of me.

I am in my 3rd year of college (I resat a year), I am unable to bring myself to revise or study in any way, sure I can complete the basic homework but actually putting time out to purely study is what I find almost impossible. I've had this problem for as long as i can remember and its not that I don't want to revise or cant be bothered, trust me. I can only describe it as a feeling of physical sickness when I even think about revision and I spend all my day procrastinating but at this point I don't even think about delaying my revision, I've lost hope yet I still want to do well and get into uni.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Imagine yourself on the day the results come out and you have failed to make the grades becayse you didnt revise. how does that feel?

Most people on this site who wnat to reach objectives have to be prepared to put the work in. Only you can decide whether you want to feel allergic to hardwork or you wnat to get on with it and put the effort in. If you have a medical/ anxiety problem then go and see your GP.

The day of your exams is coming towards you whether you revise or not. theres plenty you can do with revision such as break it up and add variety which will make it more bearable.

ReputationRep:
    Easiest way to get started is to physically remove all distractions. Give your parents your laptop and phone or something and have only the required materials in front of you. That makes it easier for me anyway. That's a tough predicament you're in and I hope you pull through buddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmdero)
    Firstly I am resorting to student room as a desperate last resort for any helpful advice, please no cliche answers, I'm not the type to post on any forum type website but I don't know what else to do, I would rather not speak to my teachers as they are unhelpful and they still see me as the mischievous kid that I used to be in year 8, which annoys the hell out of me.

I am in my 3rd year of college (I resat a year), I am unable to bring myself to revise or study in any way, sure I can complete the basic homework but actually putting time out to purely study is what I find almost impossible. I've had this problem for as long as i can remember and its not that I don't want to revise or cant be bothered, trust me. I can only describe it as a feeling of physical sickness when I even think about revision and I spend all my day procrastinating but at this point I don't even think about delaying my revision, I've lost hope yet I still want to do well and get into uni.
    Don't worry. Not everyone becomes successful. Just work at Tesco stacking shelves and it seems to me if you can't even force yourself to study now, you're still the little kid you were in year 8.

ReputationRep:

I feel like this too and I'm in the same situation. Just think about it, we've spent 3 years already in the A-level system so why give up now? we are so close to the end so we might as well try. I can't imagine a life in this world with the current economic situation with no A-levels. It was ok for our parents' generation but not us, we have no choice. The nightmare situation is what I overheard from a BTEC student today: withdrawing now to get as much money as she can from the government, live with other teen mums and chase the dream of becoming a dancer.. Good luck to her and other people with no qualifications beyond GCSE's, hope she is happy but that is a nightmare situation now. Why be weak and give up now is what I'm trying to say. Nobody ever said life is easy anyways Chin up as they say, we can get through this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuerrillaTactics)
    Don't worry. Not everyone becomes successful. Just work at Tesco stacking shelves and it seems to me if you can't even force yourself to study now, you're still the little kid you were in year 8.
    cheers, i can picture a lot of people coming to you for valuable advice in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep working, thats all I can say..noone can change your feelings by posting, you just have to change yourself, ask your parents or friends for advice, ask your college if theyve got a help desk or somethng

ReputationRep:

Sit down and say to yourself you're going to do it for 5 minutes. The first 10 minutes or so are the hardest, so once you've started, it's a lot easier, even if you have to lie to yourself.

Soz I can't give other advice, 'cos I gotta get off computer now.

ReputationRep:
    cheers, i can picture a lot of people coming to you for valuable advice in real life.
    I know that was harsh, but I'm not sorry. If that doesn't motivate you to get your life together then I don't know what will. In life there are only two categories: Winners & Losers. You said you can never bring yourself to study and how you think it's some 'sickness' and how you procrastinate. I don't believe in procrastination, because if I told you meet me somewhere at 7pm and I'll give you a million pounds. You would probably be there at 6:30 or earlier ready to get that mil. Therefore, procrastination doesn't exist . What is actually happening is what you're currently doing has no real value to you. You don't really want to go to uni, it's just something you would like to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.