Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In bad taste, ignorance or just stupidity by news report on male victim of abuse? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last week on the local news was a report on the conviction of a woman who had a history of physical and verbal abuse against her husband until she murdered him after he lost his job as he couldn't support her financially (thats all she cared about really)

At the end of the report it gave the usual "if you have been affected by the issues raised ring this number"

But the image it used for domestic abuse was a male fist and a cowering female!!

Considering the report itself talked about how it was making people aware and challenging the idea that only women are victims isnt it at least stupid the tv station then put on a image of a male abuser and female victim?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana)
    xx
    What is this guy on about, Ana? Please solve.

(Original post by drbluebox)
    Last week on the local news was a report on the conviction of a woman who had a history of physical and verbal abuse against her husband until she murdered him after he lost his job as he couldn't support her financially (thats all she cared about really)

At the end of the report it gave the usual "if you have been affected by the issues raised ring this number"

But the image it used for domestic abuse was a male fist and a cowering female!!

Considering the report itself talked about how it was making people aware and challenging the idea that only women are victims isnt it at least stupid the tv station then put on a image of a male abuser and female victim?!
    Oh... why I'm not surprised. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the image.

"mistakes" can happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Oh... why I'm not surprised. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the image.

"mistakes" can happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No image would of been better than an image of a violent male lol.

Just interesting when the news report itself mentioned challenging the stereotype that only women can be victims of abuse and they make that huge mistake.

Interestingly though it happened more than once it was on every news report of the day and the day before when it was reported so it wasn't just a one off.

(Original post by drbluebox)
    No image would of been better than an image of a violent male lol.
    I agree with this part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty hilarious, actually. It's like doing a report on a rape victim, and then using the image of a guy on top of a girl with his trousers and pants down afterwards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.