Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone identify as anything other than male or female, gender wise? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    I agree with SmallTownGirl. And yeah you're right, the basis of gender stemmed from physical differences but it has grown into something bigger, I mean we have menswear and womenswear for god's sake. Our genitalia doesn't define how we should dress, or act. So it's kind of ignorant to think of gender and how it is in the world as merely biological, it has become more than that i.e gender norms. (Not that I agree with how gender is portrayed in society).
    Where did I mention anything about gender norms? My point was identifying as something that doesn't exist in any tangible biological form is weird to me, idgaf what you wear or anything about roles or any of that. You're debating against somebody else there, m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Where did I mention anything about gender norms? My point was identifying as something that doesn't exist in any tangible biological form is weird to me, idgaf what you wear or anything about roles or any of that. You're debating against somebody else there, m8
    But the thing is, you're mistaking biological sex for gender. Gender doesn't have anything to do with your biology, more to do with your mind and how you feel/think you are. Anyways you can keep thinking that gender is a binary.

ReputationRep:
    I don't identify with a gender or rather with the 'male' or 'female' socially defined characteristics so yeah...

ReputationRep:
    female
    male

me:ale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FahzB)
    I don't identify with a gender or rather with the 'male' or 'female' socially defined characteristics so yeah...
    Neither do I! Do you share this with people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    Highly worthy of negging if it still existed. trivialising issues of sexuality or gender identity is neither big or clever ...
    Someone hasn't spent enough time on the internet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Someone hasn't spent enough time on the internet...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-sexu...ack-helicopter
    Just because it's a meme doesn't it's not oppressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I don't really understand how it's oppressive...

Either way, it's got 15 reps and counting, so I must be doing something right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    Neither do I! Do you share this with people?
    Not really but most of my friends are aware that I class sex and gender as two completely different terms and that I don't completely 'fit into' one gender.
    I don't mind female pronouns. Heck, I wouldn't ever think twice if someone referred to me with male pronouns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FahzB)
    Not really but most of my friends are aware that I class sex and gender as two completely different terms and that I don't completely 'fit into' one gender.
    I don't mind female pronouns. Heck, I wouldn't ever think twice if someone referred to me with male pronouns.
    I am the same, lol. It's just pathetic that people find that funny.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand how it's oppressive...

Either way, it's got 15 reps and counting, so I must be doing something right
    I see it posted the vast majority of threads about trans issues on this site and it's used to mock our (a)genders and to laugh at the struggle of getting people to accept our (a)genders.

And just because people 'rep' it doesn't mean that it can't be offensive and ignorant and oppressive.

ReputationRep:
    I've always identified as an orange. Because I just love them so much

ReputationRep:
    RIP, it's gone

(only a 'reminder about our rules' message tho )
    You got away lightly, probably beecause you aren't a serial offeneder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    How is it opressive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    How is it opressive?
    because it trivialises and makes fun *of* gender identities other than cisgender ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.