Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, a little stuck at the moment. Currently have no Qualifacations (I know, I am ashamed😔) would like to go back to college to study my A levels but the problem is... I have no GCSEs. Therefor, I cannot get accepted on A level course.

I didn't know wether it would be possible for me to self study 3 A levels subjects and be able to achieve 3 A*s (I want to get into a decent university) if I study my ass off for the next 1-2 years working a part time job without having any GCSEs.

Would this be possible for me to achieve? Or would this be way to much work to achieve those grades in a 2 year time frame.

Would be a great help if you guy could give me a little advice...

Btw I have looked into access to higher Qualifacations and I would prefer to get my A levels as a lot of decent universities will not accept this Qualifacations.

Thanks, Curt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curtiswood94)
    Hey guys, a little stuck at the moment. Currently have no Qualifacations (I know, I am ashamed😔) would like to go back to college to study my A levels but the problem is... I have no GCSEs. Therefor, I cannot get accepted on A level course.

I didn't know wether it would be possible for me to self study 3 A levels subjects and be able to achieve 3 A*s (I want to get into a decent university) if I study my ass off for the next 1-2 years working a part time job without having any GCSEs.

Would this be possible for me to achieve? Or would this be way to much work to achieve those grades in a 2 year time frame.

Would be a great help if you guy could give me a little advice...

Btw I have looked into access to higher Qualifacations and I would prefer to get my A levels as a lot of decent universities will not accept this Qualifacations.

Thanks, Curt.
    You'll need GCSEs to get into university, as well as A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    get your GCSE's done before considering A Levels

ReputationRep:
    You will need GCSE English and Maths at a grade C in order to get into uni. But if you want to get into a 'decent university' (top 50) then you'll probably need 5-7 GCSEs (A*-C) and if you want to get into a 'good university' (top 25) then you'll want 7-10 GCSEs (A*-C, mainly Bs). GCSEs will be good preparation for A-levels, if you have no qualifications the self-teaching yourself A-levels will be very difficult indeed! People have a hard enough time making the transition from GCSEs to A-levels when being taught!
    But don't give up! My headteacher in secondary school didn't get her GCSE English or Maths until he was 25! He didn't go to uni til he was almost 30!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob Lawrence)
    You will need GCSE English and Maths at a grade C in order to get into uni. But if you want to get into a 'decent university' (top 50) then you'll probably need 5-7 GCSEs (A*-C) and if you want to get into a 'good university' (top 25) then you'll want 7-10 GCSEs (A*-C, mainly Bs). GCSEs will be good preparation for A-levels, if you have no qualifications the self-teaching yourself A-levels will be very difficult indeed! People have a hard enough time making the transition from GCSEs to A-levels when being taught!
    But don't give up! My headteacher in secondary school didn't get her GCSE English or Maths until he was 25! He didn't go to uni til he was almost 30!
    That's a great example to give you the motivation to study!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want to study. I agree that you will need C grade English and Maths but depending on what you want to do there might be a btec or nvq that you'd like to do.

I would also argue that the rank of the uni is not as important as the direction you plan to take overall. Be objective is what I'm trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the reply's

So it looks like the obvious root for me would be to do my GCSE's before A Levels.

Can anyone recommended me any good self study books for GCSE MATHS, ENGLISH language and Psychology.

Thanks, Curt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can find everything you need for GCSE Maths here.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/grade2.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curtiswood94)
    Thanks for all the reply's

So it looks like the obvious root for me would be to do my GCSE's before A Levels ...
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    You will certainly need to do maths and English GCSE, but there may not be any need to do more than this before embarking on some kind of level 3 study. The entry requirements are different for mature students, and even 'top' universities will probably not require you to have more GCSEs than this if you have decent results at A level or equivalent.

Do you know what you want to study at university? If you do, try to find out what the requirements are for mature students for that subject at the type of universities you are aiming for. There's no point spending the next 3 or 4 years on GCSEs and A levels, only to find out later that they would have preferred you to do an Access course.

ReputationRep:
    Most places outside of Oxbridge will accept Access to HE, it depends what you class as a decent university. I've got an offer from Lancaster who are in the top ten.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.