The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don John
Ask here and I'll mark it for you.

I'll have a go at this tomorrow, thanks for the resource. Should I send it over when I am done?

I don't suppose anyone has done any worked solutions to these questions? :smile: Thanks!

I have completed the paper, it was quite challenging and one question stumped me as I have never come across this concept in either FP1, C1 or C2. Did you want me to send you the pictures of my working.
Original post by alfmeister
I have completed the paper, it was quite challenging and one question stumped me as I have never come across this concept in either FP1, C1 or C2. Did you want me to send you the pictures of my working.

Which one stumped you? If it was the complex loci one, it's more of an FP2 question.
Original post by Zacken
Which one stumped you? If it was the complex loci one, it's more of an FP2 question.

Did you two get question 2 on these? That one totally got me!
Original post by Zacken

Yes that's the one that got me. I'll have to look up how to do it.
Original post by economicss

Yes I got that one, do you know how to do it now ?

I haven't done anything except give them a cursory glance, I've been done with this module ages ago. :tongue:
Yes I got that one, do you know how to do it now ?

No I don't, please could you explain it? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
I haven't done anything except give them a cursory glance, I've been done with this module ages ago. :tongue:

Haha so lucky, can't wait for it to be done!
Haha so lucky, can't wait for it to be done!

At a glance, it doesn't seem like they've written Q2 properly unless they expect non-exact answers. I could (probably) be wrong, though and can't really be bothered checking.

Yes that's the one that got me. I'll have to look up how to do it.

Don't bother - it's FP2.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure, I did a different example so that you can try and attempt the question in the paper again.

1462813356798.jpg
Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure, I did a different example so that you can try and attempt the question in the paper again.

1462813356798.jpg

The thing is that with this example, you get ugly crap like a=±12+12a = \pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} which is just unsightly.
Original post by Zacken
The thing is that with this example, you get ugly crap like a=±12+12a = \pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} which is just unsightly.

I didn't seem to have this problem. Where about in the working is this?
I didn't seem to have this problem. Where about in the working is this?

Not in your example; in the question paper. What did you get for 1+i\sqrt{1+i}?
Original post by Zacken
Not in your example; in the question paper. What did you get for 1+i\sqrt{1+i}?

Oh okay, good.

I got 1.099 + 0.455i
Oh okay, good.

I got 1.099 + 0.455i

I would have expected it in exact form, no?

this paper is insanely hard

1.) I can't quite get this one
2.) sqrt(3-6i)
3.) 4n-4n^2
4.) not a clue, I've never seen anything like this before, some help would be appreciated.
5.)x=1,x=(3-i),x=(3+i),x=(-1-2i),x=(-1+2i) [is it realistic we will get a quintic in the exam?]

need a break after solving that quintic, let me know how I've done if you have some time :smile:
Original post by xyz9856
this paper is insanely hard

1.) I can't quite get this one
2.) sqrt(3-6i)
3.) 4n-4n^2
4.) not a clue, I've never seen anything like this before, some help would be appreciated.
5.)x=1,x=(3-i),x=(3+i),x=(-1-2i),x=(-1+2i) [is it realistic we will get a quintic in the exam?]

need a break after solving that quintic, let me know how I've done if you have some time :smile:

Q4 is an FP2 topic, not an FP1 one.
Original post by Zacken
Q4 is an FP2 topic, not an FP1 one.

Oh I'm so glad, I was thinking this was maybe written before the specification change? By the way I had a look at the January 2016 IAL F1 paper, there is a question there I just don't understand. Is F1 different to FP1 or is it significantly harder but the same content?.

http://imgur.com/Nu0pRS5

Quick Reply

Latest