Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    https://7cba9babeb0db0ff9468853e0b2d...%20Edexcel.pdf

Guys can someone help me with 6 (i) (b)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarlicBread01)

If you use the matrix transformation on the formula book (with cos theta and -sin theta etc) and solve the equations for this, remembering the theta values must be between 0 and 360 degrees because it's a rotation then this should help let me know if you need a better explanation!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Draw it and remember  tan\theta =\frac{opposite}{adjacent} and just consider what quadrant it is in.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I used the matrix rotation formula, and equated the top left elements to get

\cos \theta = - \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}

but then using cos inverse gives me pheta = 150

which would mean an anticlockwise rotation through 150 about O but thats wrong??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I used the matrix rotation formula, and equated the top left elements to get

\cos \theta = - \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}

but then using cos inverse gives me pheta = 150

which would mean an anticlockwise rotation through 150 about O but thats wrong??
    Yeah so you find that and using cos (2pi-theta) is the only other valid solution in the range this means theta can also equal 210. Then use the transformation matrix again to find the inverse of sin( -0.5) which gives you -30 degrees which is out of range, so we do 180- this value of theta to get a value in range which also gives 210 degrees so since both equations now equate to theta equals 210 and this is in range this is the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    As I posted in last year's Edexcel FP1 thread, I have written an Enhanced Examination Paper for both Edexcel and MEI FP1.

It is meant to be a significantly more challenging examination of general concepts specified by different boards. It is fully doable for students with knowledge of standard FP1, C1, and C2 material.

If you can make a good start on all of the questions then you should be on track to a strong A in this module.

Good luck!

https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/fp1_enhanced.pdf
    Please could anyone show their working for question 8b of these? Not sure I understand it! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Yeah so you find that and using cos (2pi-theta) is the only other valid solution in the range this means theta can also equal 210. Then use the transformation matrix again to find the inverse of sin( -0.5) which gives you -30 degrees which is out of range, so we do 180- this value of theta to get a value in range which also gives 210 degrees so since both equations now equate to theta equals 210 and this is in range this is the answer
    I dont get it. So I get theta equals 150. How do you know not accept that answer?
    Why do you go looking other solutions?

ReputationRep:
    I dont get it. So I get theta equals 150. How do you know not accept that answer?
    Why do you go looking other solutions?
    Because the inverse of sin(-0.5) doesn't equal 150 when you put it in your calculator and the values need to match

ReputationRep:
    Because the inverse of sin(-0.5) doesn't equal 150 when you put it in your calculator and the values need to match
    Oh I see. Another similar question I did, when comparing all 4 of the elements they all gave me the same angle so I didnt have to look for other solutions.

But for this question since the cos and the sine dont give the same value, I have to find a the value (in range) which matches both ?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1462913579798.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  26.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see. Another similar question I did, when comparing all 4 of the elements they all gave me the same angle so I didnt have to look for other solutions.

But for this question since the cos and the sine dont give the same value, I have to find a the value (in range) which matches both ?
    Yeah that's it This might helpName:  image.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  523.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's it This might helpName:  image.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  523.0 KB
    Ah it makes sense, thanks loads for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Ah it makes sense, thanks loads for the help!
    No worries, good luck for the exam!

ReputationRep:
    But it accepts the 150 degrees answer.

Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 196
Size:  31.9 KB

Which is basically the same thing but in the other direction.
    I find it much easier to just draw it and find the angle that it makes with the x-axis and then find the total rotation.

ReputationRep:
Views: 79
Size:  9.8 KBAttachment 530383530385

Can someone explain how this is done?
    ("FP1 is as difficult as F1" i don't think so )
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirstos Ioannou)
Views: 79
Size:  9.8 KBAttachment 530383530385

Can someone explain how this is done?
    ("FP1 is as difficult as F1" i don't think so )
    Hi, this is a good one, I think what you need to do when proving something is divisible by a large number (>10 or so) is when you are at the "consider when n=k+1" bit, you substitute away the 7^2k using what you just did for n=k.

Do you see what I mean?

Name:  Scan0021.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  491.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick2810)
    Hi, this is a good one, I think what you need to do when proving something is divisible by a large number (>10 or so) is when you are at the "consider when n=k+1" bit, you substitute away the 7^2k using what you just did for n=k.

Do you see what I mean?

Name:  Scan0021.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  491.9 KB
    I think so, thank you for that!

ReputationRep:
    I have found the F1 IAL jan 16 paper but does anyone know where the jan 16 IAL FP1 paper?

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick2810)
    I have found the F1 IAL jan 16 paper but does anyone know where the jan 16 IAL FP1 paper?

many thanks
    There is no Jan FP1 paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    There is no Jan FP1 paper.
    Hi

Was there a june 2015 IAL FP1 paper?

thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.