Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfmeister)
    In the mark scheme for paper 1, question 3.More specifically the algebraic division.
    thanks i'll check and see

ReputationRep:
    I am by no means ungrateful, I was simply saying that I think I may have found one or two mistakes> However I might be wrong, in the mark scheme of paper one question 3. The algebraic division doesn't seem to be correct.
    Ah right - fair enough

Edit: By the way, how are you feeling for FP1 on Friday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Ah right - fair enough
    Sorry if I can came across in that way.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question regarding algebraic division, do the examiners want to see you write down all of the steps just to divide a polynomial by a factor, like a long division method? or can you just compare coefficients in your head and write down the resulting polynomial or quadratic? (whatever it may be)

I find it saves me so much time and stops me from getting confused just to do it without workings and write down as I go through it.

Thanks,
    Lewis

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I can came across in that way.
    It's no worries - misconceptions happen all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisClothier)
    Just a quick question regarding algebraic division, do the examiners want to see you write down all of the steps just to divide a polynomial by a factor? or can you just compare coefficients in your head and write down the resulting polynomial or quadratic? (whatever it may be)

I find it saves me so much time and stops me from getting confused just to do it without workings and write down as I go through it.

Thanks,
    Lewis
    I do the same method as you!

I'd make sure you at least show some working, for example (choosing a random polynomial, and I know that x+2 may not be a factor but for arguments sake..)

(x+2)(ax^2+bx+c) = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 4

Then go from there and do it in your head just to show that you have some method and that you're not just using an algebraic manipulation calculator or whatever they could think!

ReputationRep:
    I do the same method as you!

I'd make sure you at least show some working, for example (choosing a random polynomial, and I know that x+2 may not be a factor but for arguments sake..)

(x+2)(ax^2+bx+c) = 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 4

Then go from there and do it in your head just to show that you have some method and that you're not just using an algebraic manipulation calculator or whatever they could think!
    Yeah! I always make sure I at least write the factor and then the rest next to it like that, thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question regarding algebraic division, do the examiners want to see you write down all of the steps just to divide a polynomial by a factor, like a long division method? or can you just compare coefficients in your head and write down the resulting polynomial or quadratic? (whatever it may be)

Thanks,
    Lewis
    Yes, you would get full marks if you just write down the factorisation. I normally write it down without working. The only danger is that if you get one teeny bit wrong, you'll lose all the marks whereas had you shown your working you'd only lose 1 mark or so.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I always make sure I at least write the factor and then the rest next to it like that, thanks man!
    Any time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yes, you would get full marks if you just write down the factorisation. I normally write it down without working. The only danger is that if you get one teeny bit wrong, you'll lose all the marks whereas had you shown your working you'd only lose 1 mark or so.
    Okay, awesome, I'll be extra careful

ReputationRep:
    It's no worries - misconceptions happen all the time
    I'm feeling quite confident, how about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling quite confident, how about yourself?
    Me too - probably be a hard paper though.

ReputationRep:
    Me too - probably be a hard paper though.
    Good to hear, I agree but I'm sure if you're prepared you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    is a proof by induction series question starting from r=0 instead of r=1 possible?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got more of those r=0 questions? It's simple enough and I got the 2013 (r) one right but I want to practise series a bit anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone take a look at question 9 in this paper please and help with finding the gradient? http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/upl.../CMFP1SETB.pdf

Not sure if it can be simplified any further?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesyesyesno)
    Has anyone got more of those r=0 questions? It's simple enough and I got the 2013 (r) one right but I want to practise series a bit anyways.
    Here: http://goo.gl/s7vHxb

Just put a random function in there (with max degree 3), see what the result is and see if you can show it using the standard formulae
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by yesyesyesno)
    is a proof by induction series question starting from r=0 instead of r=1 possible?
    :dontknow: it'd be a bit nasty in that the sum of n terms would be going from r=0 to r=n-1. I wouldn't put it past them but it seems needlessly complicated.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone take a look at question 9 in this paper please and help with finding the gradient? http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/upl.../CMFP1SETB.pdf

Not sure if it can be simplified any further?
    Which part and what have you found so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Which part and what have you found so far?
    Part a, I tried to find the gradient by doing (4/p - 4/q)/ (4p - 4q) but I am struggling to find it in a simpler form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.