Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLk1)
    How is 4b 8? in jan 2016 ial
    can't even find this paper, do you have a link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisClothier)
    can't even find this paper, do you have a link?
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jV3SzBabTE4NDQ

ReputationRep:
    So, you have the geometrical transformation of the matrix A, should be 135 degree clockwise rotation, then you need to find a multiple of 135 that equals a multiple of 360.
    In other words, how many times would you need to apply this transformation to I to get back to I. the answer cannot be 0 because it needs to be a positive integer, although that would work... so you would need to apply the transformation 8 times to get back to I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLk1)
    How is 4b 8? in jan 2016 ial
    I think you have to look at the number of times the matrix would need to be transformed in order to be in the form of the identity matrix.
    Not toooo sure though, made a lucky guess I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisClothier)
    So, you have the geometrical transformation of the matrix A, should be 135 degree clockwise rotation, then you need to find a multiple of 135 that equals a multiple of 360.
    In other words, how many times would you need to apply this transformation to I to get back to I. the answer cannot be 0 because it needs to be a positive integer, although that would work... so you would need to apply the transformation 8 times to get back to I.
    Couldn't have ever possibly put it better

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this. Feels like there isn't much practise available.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the question on the June 2013 R paper where for the summation r=0 and not r=1, its also on the edexcel Gold level 2 paper as well its the last question on that one?
    Im really stuck on what you are supposed to do

ReputationRep:
    jan 2016 (IAL) is difficult af- is everything there in our spec??

ReputationRep:
    Can someone check Q 1(c) for me???- the mark scheme implies that (2i)^(2)=+4
    Surely this is wrong as it should be -4?

FS i'm confused

(Original post by thesmallman)
    It's not difficult - there are some stuff in our spec and some that aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie*may)
    Has anyone done the question on the June 2013 R paper where for the summation r=0 and not r=1, its also on the edexcel Gold level 2 paper as well its the last question on that one?
    see

(Original post by Zacken)
    I'll give you two ways to look at it:

1. \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^n (2n+1) = \underbrace{2(n) + 1}_{0\text{th \, term}} + \sum_{r=1}^n (2n+1) = (2n+1) + (2n+1)n = (2n+1)(n+1)

2. \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^n f(r) = \overbrace{f(0) + \underbrace{f(1) + f(2) + \cdots +f(n)}_{n \, \text{terms}}}^{(n+1) \, \text{terms}}.

Since in this case you have \sum_{r=0}^n (2n+1) = (2n+1)\sum_{r=0}^n 1

Then you have f(r) = 1 being added together n+1 times to get a total of (2n+1)(1 + 1 + \cdots  +1) = (2n+1)(n+1).

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the roots of polynomials things aren't on your spec.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain what a Locus/Loci actually is? would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone check Q 1(c) for me???- the mark scheme implies that (2i)^(2)=+4
    Surely this is wrong as it should be -4?

FS i'm confused
    I can't see the markscheme as you haven't link it, but:

\displaystyle |a + ib| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \neq \sqrt{a^2 + (ib)^2}.

You might want to lookup the definition of modulo again.

So, here: |(3+k) + 2i| = \sqrt{(3+k)^2 + 2^2}.

Remember |z| = \sqrt{\Re(z)^2 + Im(z)^2} and the imaginary part of the complex number is the number in front of the i and not including the i.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie*may)
    I've been stuck on this one as well...I'm sure the equivalent summation is r=1 to n+1 so you can multiply 2n by (n+1) and multiply 1 by n+1)

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the roots of polynomials things aren't on your spec.
    Oh right fair- btw can you have a look at Q1(c)? because the mark scheme implies (2i)^(2)=+4 which I think is wrong?

thanks
    Edit: Nvm just read your post, thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesyesyesno)
    Can anyone explain what a Locus/Loci actually is? would be much appreciated.
    The set of points that satisfy a certain property. So for example, the set of points that are equidistant from another point is termed a circle because every point on the circle satisfies the property that they are an equal distance (the radius) from the centre (another point).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick2810)
    see
    Thank you! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhsoIntrovert)
    I've been stuck on this one as well...I'm sure the equivalent summation is r=1 to n+1 so you can multiply 2n by (n+1) and multiply 1 by n+1)
    See a few posts above.

Edit: Nvm just read your post, thanks!!
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see the markscheme as you haven't link it, but:

\displaystyle |a + ib| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \neq \sqrt{a^2 + (ib)^2}.

You might want to lookup the definition of modulo again.

So, here: |(3+k) + 2i| = \sqrt{(3+k)^2 + 2^2}.

Remember |z| = \sqrt{\Re(z)^2 + Im(z)^2} and the imaginary part of the complex number is the number in front of the i and not including the i.
    Ahh yeah I always knew that omg, can't believe I made such a rookie error

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.