Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesyesyesno)
    I think divisibility will (unfortunately) come up, the other induction proofs are quite a bit easier. I think edexcel might throw in an r=0 series but that's been covered so many times in this thread it's simple now. Also I think we'll get a harder than usual /obscure complex numbers question and probably a parabola question with a lot of letters and algebra.
    What is this r=0 series thing? haven't been very active on this thread so must have missed it haha

Could you tell me what page of this thread it is on so I can look at it?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463651006.567317.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  98.2 KB

hey I can't seem to get this proof right, please give some assistance Zacken or anyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just scored 71/75 (or 94 UMS) on june 15 - not too sure if that was easier than other papers... made a blunder on q8 had no clue how to do part c and then i did linear interpolation wrong (used the wrong f(x) value) so should have got 72 (95 UMS)

when there is an expression in relation to a graph ie SP or HX etc is that a distance between the points s and p and again between h and x? i swear they would say ....the length between the points s and p.... is this right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    just scored 71/75 (or 94 UMS) on june 15 - not too sure if that was easier than other papers... made a blunder on q8 had no clue how to do part c and then i did linear interpolation wrong (used the wrong f(x) value) so should have got 72 (95 UMS)

when there is an expression in relation to a graph ie SP or HX etc is that a distance between the points s and p and again between h and x? i swear they would say ....the length between the points s and p.... is this right?
    I just did that paper; yes it means the distance between them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463651006.567317.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  98.2 KB

hey I can't seem to get this proof right, please give some assistance Zacken or anyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it part a or b you're struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Is it part a or b you're struggling with?
    you basically start by subbing in n=2 instead of n=1 just to get the result divisble by 2304

then when you conclude you mention for all values greater than 2 the proof works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I just did that paper; yes it means the distance between them.
    oh nice how did you score? So would we have to apply the distance between 2 points formula? ie rt (x-x1) blah blah blah???
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    oh nice how did you score? So would we have to apply the distance between 2 points formula? ie rt (x-x1) blah blah blah???
    Full marks.

Yes, apply the distance formula, but without the sqrt, as you needed to find SR^2

and use SP which was found in part (a) and SQ would be the same as SQ, but replace any p with a q.

ReputationRep:

Well I wouldn't say it was that easy considering I am resitting because of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Full marks.

Yes, apply the distance formula, but without the sqrt, as you needed to find SR^2

and use SP which was found in part (a) and SQ would be the same as SQ, but replace any p with a q.
    nicely done mate! tbh im expecting 90 ums minimum tomorrow - should be alright lol

i read it as s * r^2 -> when it should be read as (SP)^2. is that right hence why we wouldnt root it

ReputationRep:
    Question guys: In a summation series formula, when n comes up as well as r
    e.g. sum of (0 to n): 2r^(3) + r^(2) + 2n + 1
    Is 2n+1 a constant? i.e. in sum of (0 to 10)- you would convert the first two terms into 'n' in the normal way then sub in '10'.
    Then, for the last term you'd convert it into n(2n+1) and also sub in 10??

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music With Rocks)
    Well I wouldn't say it was that easy considering I am resitting because of it
    i scored 81 back in 2014 - i failed s3 last year so i am resitting all of further maths (took a gap year because of it!)

ReputationRep:
    ah okay I was so chilled until I read this thread now I think I'm dying... I hate inductive divisibility proofs because I can do them well enough I just never know if my explanation is good enough, also thankfully I looked at this because I'd never seen r=0 questions but have done the June 13 R one and it was fine, anything else 'weird' like that that might come up that I haven't seen before? I've done all the standard June papers (not international/regional/withdrawn ones) and Jan 13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    Question guys: In a summation series formula, when n comes up as well as r
    e.g. sum of (0 to n): 2r^(3) + r^(2) + 2n + 1
    Is 2n+1 a constant? i.e. in sum of (0 to 10)- you would convert the first two terms into 'n' in the normal way then sub in '10'.
    Then, for the last term you'd convert it into n(2n+1) and also sub in 10??

Thanks!
    check q14 mix ex of ch5 - something similar comes up

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on this question (part b), I can't seem to show it's divisible by 8 and the mark scheme's no help :/
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    i scored 81 back in 2014 - i failed s3 last year so i am resitting all of further maths (took a gap year because of it!)
    I am just resitting certain AS modules alongside doing my A2 exams, I got 70 ums in FP1 last year and it was the reason I got a B in further maths.

You ready for S3 on Wednesday then? hopefully the gap year pays off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music With Rocks)
    I am just resitting certain AS modules alongside doing my A2 exams, I got 70 ums in FP1 last year and it was the reason I got a B in further maths.

You ready for S3 on Wednesday then? hopefully the gap year pays off!
    sort of - i missed my a in fm by 39 ums so i'm hoping to get 20+ in s3(56) alongside 5+ in s1(81),s2(79),s4(67),fp1(81) and then i'm resitting c4(67) to get 92UMS+

you doing s3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsSleep)
    I'm stuck on this question (part b), I can't seem to show it's divisible by 8 and the mark scheme's no help :/
    I thought all you do is take out 2 from the 4(2^k) term?

i.e. f(k+1)= 6f(k) - 4(2^k)
    = 6f(k) - 8(2^(k-1))

pls correct me if I'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    I thought all you do is take out 2 from the 4(2^k) term?

i.e. f(k+1)= 6f(k) - 4(2^k)
    = 6f(k) - 8(2^(k-1))

pls correct me if I'm wrong
    Oh of course!
    Thank you so much for the quick reply

ReputationRep:
    sort of - i missed my a in fm by 39 ums so i'm hoping to get 20+ in s3(56) alongside 5+ in s1(81),s2(79),s4(67),fp1(81) and then i'm resitting c4(67) to get 92UMS+

you doing s3?
    Sounds doable (but difficult of course)

Yep, this year I am doing C3, C4, M2, S2, S3, FP2 (+FP1 resit)
    Last year I did C1, C2, D1, S1, M1, FP1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.