Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelegend99)
    I think that it would be better to use overall, but if you're comfortable with f(k+1) - f(k) method then use that. Don't change anything too late.
    Alright, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    How do I work out the area of a quadrilateral given 4 co ordinates?
    If in doubt, 163/3 will be correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    How do I work out the area of a quadrilateral given 4 co ordinates?
    You won't be asked anything like that, but regardless there is a common matrix technique for finding the area of any polygon given the coordinates of its vertices. Probably not the best thing to learn/investigate before an exam though. If you're asked to find area in the exam, draw a sketch and something obvious will pop out whether it be perpendicular distances or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    When it's a recurrence formula i.e: u_{n+2} = au_{n+1} + bu_{n} involving three different terms.

So u_{n+1} = au_{n} is 2 term only, so only prove for n=1.

u_{n+1} = au_{n} + bu_{n-1} is three terms, so prove for n=1 and n=2.

u_{n+1} = au_{n} + bu_{n} is still two terms only. (it only involves u_{n+1} and u_{n}) so only for n=1.

Welcome.
    Cheers for clearing that up- makes perfect sense now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    Cheers for clearing that up- makes perfect sense now!
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glavien)
    I just did the January 2016 IAL paper and cant find the mark scheme? Anyone have it?
    Where did you get that paper from??

ReputationRep:
    You won't be asked anything like that, but regardless there is a common matrix technique for finding the area of any polygon given the coordinates of its vertices. Probably not the best thing to learn/investigate before an exam though. If you're asked to find area in the exam, draw a sketch and something obvious will pop out whether it be perpendicular distances or whatever.
    Could use the vector method from FP3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    So it would be Area * (Det A)^4

?

Cheers!
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    When it's a recurrence formula i.e: u_{n+2} = au_{n+1} + bu_{n} involving three different terms.

So u_{n+1} = au_{n} is 2 term only, so only prove for n=1.

u_{n+1} = au_{n} + bu_{n-1} is three terms, so prove for n=1 and n=2.

u_{n+1} = au_{n} + bu_{n} is still two terms only. (it only involves u_{n+1} and u_{n}) so only for n=1.
    Welcome.
    Proving for n=1 and n=2 even when you only need to prove for n=1 doesn't invalidate your proof. Do you think it would be alright to prove it just in case you do need to, regardless of whether it was necessary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windowswind123)
    Proving for n=1 and n=2 even when you only need to prove for n=1 doesn't invalidate your proof. Do you think it would be alright to prove it just in case you do need to, regardless of whether it was necessary?
    Yeah, that's fine. But really useless, just stick to only proving for n=1 and then it'll be obvious when n=2 needs to be used.

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt, 163/3 will be correct
    Aargh don't bring that up! Jeez, just get John and his uncle to bribe Edexcel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    Where did you get that paper from??
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-maths-papers/

Hope this helps. good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am an A2 Student and have taught myself further maths this year, I was wondering if you had any tips that your teachers might have told you.... of course I have done all the papers but 90% was the lowest I got in timed conditions.I just wanted to ask did you have any tips.... such as answering difficult questions.... I dont think I really struggle on that much of the exam.... but does anyone know of any difficult questions ..... I heard of the old spec papers which are apparently meant to be some kind of solomon paper .... but they are not really for this spec.... so does anyone have any papers which are deemed to be really difficult that are not edexcel spec.

ReputationRep:
    Roots of polynomials with the alpha, beta stuff is in the international paper but isn't on the UK spec.
    Thanks. Wish I saw this before I spent ages trying to figure it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardboard5678)
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-maths-papers/

Hope this helps. good luck tomorrow
    Thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelegend99)
    Aargh don't bring that up! Jeez, just get John and his uncle to bribe Edexcel!
    I shall tell stories about that fraction to my children if I live to tell the tale.

If I even see the word quadrilateral in tomorrow's exam I'm giving up.

ReputationRep:
    https://gyazo.com/bb2a0cc0002c1fdf91f31d04facbb76a

Again part b... another probably simple question in which I seem stuck on.

ReputationRep:
    How would you do part c? I have done parts a and b but can't seem to find the area - the co-ordinates of Q are (27,-18)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    https://gyazo.com/bb2a0cc0002c1fdf91f31d04facbb76a

Again part b... another probably simple question in which I seem stuck on.
    Not sure what the problem is... split it up, sum the parts and get an equation:

k sum 2^r = number

remember geometric series...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    How would you do part c? I have done parts a and b but can't seem to find the area - the co-ordinates of Q are (27,-18)
    +1 - this question was difficult (well the area was difficult to work out) I couldn't get this one! This paper was a beast.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.