Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain the answers to part (b) and (ii) of question 6 on the 2015 IAL paper
    https://699d3c34b250207412778630ab10...%20Edexcel.pdf

My answer to (b) was 150 clockwise? and in (ii) I don't understand how using
    b^2 -4ac shows that det(M) is not equal to zero

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, can you do the f(k)=......=5m for an e.g divisible by 5 questions and then rearrange for one term and sub into f(k+1) for *every* divisibility induction question? I think it's my preferred method now. A reply would be much appreciated.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    split it up into the sum of r = 1 to 12 of (9r^2-4r) + k lots of the sum of r = 1 to 12 of 2^r

put r = 1 in to get your a, your n = 12, use the sum of a geometric series formula, youll get a value, add the bits together, equate it to the value given, rearrange for k
    Sorry mate but i dont follow this bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connorbarr)
    bruh it says that in the textbook
    I dont have the text book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhsoIntrovert)
    Can someone please explain the answers to part (b) and (ii) of question 6 on the 2015 IAL paper

Thank you!
    Look in the formula booklet, you'll find a formula involving angles. Which angle would give you this result if you plug it in the formula?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesyesyesno)
    Guys, can you do the f(k)=......=5m for an e.g divisible by 5 questions and then rearrange for one term and sub into f(k+1) for *every* divisibility induction question? I think it's my preferred method now. A reply would be much appreciated.
    Yes you can. The method has been used on mark schemes (look a few posts above for an example). My teacher also taught us this method before the f(k+1)-f(k)

good luck to you tomorrow

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    for the discriminant bit, u get a quadratic when working out the determinant, and then if u out that equal to zero, u only get complex numbers for the roots, but it says that k is a real number so there are no roots where k is a real number meaning no values of k to get a det(M) = 0

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Look in the formula booklet, you'll find a formula involving angles. Which angle would give you this result if you plug it in the formula?
    You're quite right. Although I just realised the angle will be a multiple of 45 in FP1 so that question is not part of our spec but good to know

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    for the discriminant bit, u get a quadratic when working out the determinant, and then if u out that equal to zero, u only get complex numbers for the roots, but it says that k is a real number so there are no roots where k is a real number meaning no values of k to get a det(M) = 0
    and for that rotation thing, I swear we only have to do multiples of 45 degrees

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. The method has been used on mark schemes (look a few posts above for an example). My teacher also taught us this method before the f(k+1)-f(k)

good luck to you tomorrow
    Thank you! Goodluck to you too if you're sitting it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! This makes sense now and was well explained

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Sorry took awhile. Two methods. I'd prefer the second, but most would go for the first

Attachment 534849Attachment 534851

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesyesyesno)
    Hey mate
    Could you do me a favour and explain how your method would work for this?

https://gyazo.com/ef16da65fc0475a8ce387015bbd6bb08

Thanks!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Split it up into the sum of r = 1 to 12 of (9r^2-4r) + k lots of the sum of r = 1 to 12 of 2^r

put r = 1 in to get your a, your n = 12, use the sum of a geometric series formula, youll get a value, add the bits together, equate it to the value given, rearrange for k
    was k = 2/15?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    was k = 2/15?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfmeister)
    No I haven't as Im on my phone now so don't have the link

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is the link for it please http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/upl...-Worksheet.pdf question 14b, thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    You're quite right. Although I just realised the angle will be a multiple of 45 in FP1 so that question is not part of our spec but good to know

Thanks for your help
    Glad to have helped

ReputationRep:
    Well just did June 2014 and got 72/75 (lost 3 marks because I got my negative signs mixed up ) so that has boosted my confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    This is the link for it please http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/upl...-Worksheet.pdf question 14b, thanks so much
    What have you done so far? Do you have equations of the tangents to both points P and Q. You then need to equate the equations of the tangents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.