Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    Nope. Just because the past papers were done at home, it doesn't mean that they're a lot easier. The difficulty of all the edexcel maths papers has definitely been increasing year-on-year recently, and this was definitely the hardest there's ever been (for UK papers - Jan 2016 IAL was a shocker).
    Yeah and don't forget the government are trying to make exams harder, so the papers are meant to be trickier! Would like to force Gove and Morgan do this though

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got an unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    I did it by finding the inverse, and stating that it equals the original matrix.
    Both should be ok hopefully, it was only 1 mark anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haamoo7)
    Fair point.

But as somebody who has sat last years exam and this years too, I can comfortably say that I walked out of the exam hall feeling much worse than last year.

Meh. My hopes of improving my UMS from 94 last year to 100 is over.

):
    Why were you retaking with 94UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    Nope. Just because the past papers were done at home, it doesn't mean that they're a lot easier. The difficulty of all the edexcel maths papers has definitely been increasing year-on-year recently, and this was definitely the hardest there's ever been (for UK papers - Jan 2016 IAL was a shocker).
    Has it? Definitely depends on the papers for a start. FP2 and S2 last year were a couple of the easiest ever. And I think exam pressure makes a real difference. People have called questions impossible on exams that in hindsight, when you are in a relaxed frame of mind, look rather simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    I'd need to see the paper in order to know how badly I've done - I have a feeling around 64 marks may be what I'm looking at though, or less It's annoying to be honest.. I only have myself to blame for the silly errors. Although, as Krollo said - is 'self inverting' matrices or whatever that shitstorm was on the specification?
    Just had a look at the specification and it says you need to now how to find the inverse of a matrix and now what singular/non-singular matricies are not one mention of that self inverting ******** though

ReputationRep:
    unofficial mark scheme yet anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    Do people do maths as and further as at the same time or do maths a level in one year then further maths a level second year
    Depends on your school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewCanFly)
    Just had a look at the specification and it says you need to now how to find the inverse of a matrix and now what singular/non-singular matricies are not one mention of that self inverting ******** though
    The specifications can have certain clauses though that lets them put anything in, like in aqua physics 'students need to be able to determine orders of magnitude' - of what! They can throw anything in and say it's on the spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Has it? Definitely depends on the papers for a start. FP2 and S2 last year were a couple of the easiest ever. And I think exam pressure makes a real difference. People have called questions impossible on exams that in hindsight, when you are in a relaxed frame of mind, look rather simple.
    did you do the paper? no so shut up.

ReputationRep:
    so the matrix is R instead of T, would i lose mark for saying TT^-1= I instead of RR^-1=I :'(
    well expecting 5-6 marks lost total

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moezph)
    Sorry to dishearten you mate, but you can't translate a matrix... only rotate,enlarge, or reflect....
    Mate all it said was to describe the geometric relationship between two lines. No matrices involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celecia01)
    Depends on your school
    AS further maths which is most likely fp1, d1 and m1 for first year. If you pass then A2 further maths next year FP2, FP3, and (D2/M2/S2) depends on the school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anndz3007)
    so the matrix is R instead of T, would i lose mark for saying TT^-1= I instead of RR^-1=I :'(
    well expecting 5-6 marks lost total
    I don't know, I found that confusing though, why couldn't they just give the transformation and matrix the same letter, or if that's wrong, then a capital and lower case. I suppose you did do the right maths so may be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person18)
    Why were you retaking with 94UMS?
    Currently I have 94 UMS for FP1, 91 UMS for D1 and 89 UMS for M1 (my AS Further Math modules).

Wanted to get 100 UMS to reach 280/300 total UMS, as I'm more confident in FP1 than my other modules, and because the average UMS for students at my school (for AS further maths) is 279/300.

So to even stand out in my school's pool of applicants to the top unis, I need to score pretty highly.

:/

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    Do people do maths as and further as at the same time or do maths a level in one year then further maths a level second year
    At my SQL we actually do 8 modules in y12 and 4 modules in y13 because (as my teacher said) "the dumb ones will have some resits so let's not make it even harder for them". And oh boy was he not spot on....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1a2b3c4d)
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme yet?
    nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ/Chem/FMaths)
    (matrix)^2 = Identity matrix
    Right?
    Yeah that's exactly what I got

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelvin1338)
    Mate all it said was to describe the geometric relationship between two lines. No matrices involved.
    Oh my bad dude! You're on about that line segment question! I thought you were talking about that surd matrix. Apologies

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.