Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArafatQ)
    Hey guys, I feel really bad, I just freaked out on Friday and made so many mistakes. I would love it if someone could tell me how many marks I could have lost:

Q1) I let the determinant = 0 and I even wrote K^2-1=0 but I never actually calculated K. - Total marks in question: 3
    Q8i + ii) I wasn't able to prove either of the two statements but I made it look like I did. I also included all the steps e.g Basis, Assumption, Inductive (made it look like I know what I was doing) and the Conclusion. - Total marks in question: 10
    9c) I got the right equation but in terms of P. I did not find the value of p but the equation is correct. - Total marks in question: 3.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how many you think I lost.

Here is how many I think I lost:
    Q1) 1 mark for not solving.
    Q8) 4 marks for not doing inductive step. (assuming examiner spots my mistakes)
    Q9c) 2 marks for not getting p and not substituting it.
    My thoughts:

Q1) You'd get 2/3 marks for not solving
    Q2) The mark you gain for the conclusion step is only given if the rest of your proof is correct (i.e., it is a dependent mark). So you may only get 1-3 marks per question, depending on how much of your induction is correct. Definitely one mark for your basis step. I believe no paper has awarded marks for the assumption step.
    Q9c) 1/3. You'd get one for your method of finding an equation in terms of p. You would've gotten another mark for your method of finding p and then another for your accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoahMal)
    Q1) 1 mark for not solving. (Correct)Q8) 4 marks for not doing inductive step. (assuming examiner spots my mistakes) (Possibly 3 marks some marks gained for trying the assumption)Q9c) 2 marks for not getting p and not substituting it (Correct)
    So would you say that's 3 marks for attempting each proof by induction? Thanks for the reply, I need your guys advice xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)
    My thoughts:

Q1) You'd get 2/3 marks for not solving
    Q2) The mark you gain for the conclusion step is only given if the rest of your proof is correct (i.e., it is a dependent mark). So you may only get 1-3 marks per question, depending on how much of your induction is correct. Definitely one mark for your basis step. I believe no paper has awarded marks for the assumption step.
    Q9c) 1/3. You'd get one for your method of finding an equation in terms of p. You would've gotten another mark for your method of finding p and then another for your accuracy.
    Ah ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    So would you say that's 3 marks for attempting each proof by induction? Thanks for the reply, I need your guys advice xD
    Yes maybe full marks if you wrote your induction step small and scribble but clearly showed the final answer you know they "wanted"

ReputationRep:
    Yes maybe full marks if you wrote your induction step small and scribble but clearly showed the final answer you know they "wanted"
    Thanks man, just gotta hope for the best! Good luck for C2!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I feel really bad, I just freaked out on Friday and made so many mistakes. I would love it if someone could tell me how many marks I could have lost:

Q1) I let the determinant = 0 and I even wrote K^2-1=0 but I never actually calculated K. - Total marks in question: 3
    Q8i + ii) I wasn't able to prove either of the two statements but I made it look like I did. I also included all the steps e.g Basis, Assumption, Inductive (made it look like I know what I was doing) and the Conclusion. - Total marks in question: 10
    9c) I got the right equation but in terms of P. I did not find the value of p but the equation is correct. - Total marks in question: 3.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how many you think I lost.

Here is how many I think I lost:
    Q1) 1 mark for not solving.
    Q8) 4 marks for not doing inductive step. (assuming examiner spots my mistakes)
    Q9c) 2 marks for not getting p and not substituting it.

You will have lost 2 for Q1. Sorry do not know how to put in a spoiler but my teacher is a senior examiner for this FP1 Paper as such had seen the provisional mark scheme for Friday's paper. No he did not show us the official provisional Mark scheme but he did say that the last accuracy Mark on Q1 was for rationalising the denominator of the surd - so reject the answer in the form one over root 2. Accept the answer in the form a half root 2.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why Arsey has removed his solutions? (And that thread is closed.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Does anyone know why Arsey has removed his solutions? (And that thread is closed.)
    Edexcel copyright most probably

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatCleverAsian)
    I have written down the model answers and gone through it with my teacher. if you want them let me know!!
    Hi can you send me the model answer for fp1 , thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khoinet)
    Hi can you send me the model answer for fp1 , thank you.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Z...JGRmRUc3M/view

ReputationRep:
    No not at all! I got a low B last year in FP1, (73 UMS) but the rest of my modules were high enough that I still got an offer from cambridge for engineering, so I am sure youd be fine! I resat FP1 this year and it is so much easier once youve done FP2/FP3 so I would recommend retaking, which you are able to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseelwy)
    No not at all! I got a low B last year in FP1, (73 UMS) but the rest of my modules were high enough that I still got an offer from cambridge for engineering, so I am sure youd be fine! I resat FP1 this year and it is so much easier once youve done FP2/FP3 so I would recommend retaking, which you are able to do.

That's so pleasing to hear! I want to do Engineering too at Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    Mark Scheme...
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 10b_FP1_June_2016_mark_scheme.pdf (199.1 KB, 169 views)

ReputationRep:
    Wow for 7e, I'm surprised they allowed that it was an enlargement of scale factor 2 followed by a translation I think that might just be 75 in FP1

ReputationRep:
    Any realistic grade boundary predictions for this paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB0073)
    64 -> 100 ums
    61 -> 90 ums
    57 -> 80 ums (A)
    52 -> 70 ums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB0073)
    73 -> 100 ums
    66 -> 90 ums
    61 -> 80 ums (A)
    55 -> 70 ums

ReputationRep:
    73 -> 100 ums
    66 -> 90 ums
    61 -> 80 ums (A)
    55 -> 70 ums
    ok thank you, hopefully its a little lower by 1 or maybe 2. Seemed quite a bit more difficult than last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Wow for 7e, I'm surprised they allowed that it was an enlargement of scale factor 2 followed by a translation I think that might just be 75 in FP1
    I'm also just really glad that they allowed R^2 = I for Q.6(e); I was really fretting about FP1 - it's probably still my lowest raw mark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Mark Scheme...
    Is that actually the real thing? How did you manage to get hold of it? Does your teacher mark some of the papers or something?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.