The Student Room Group

Girls thinking my friend is my girlfriend because we holiday together

I'm best mates with a girl that I've known since I was 16, now 25. Me and her get on so well that we are completely open and not phased by each other, it's just a really good friendship, we both have different friendship both gone to uni so no way is there anything beyond that.

Quite recently I went on holiday with her as its rarer to have time off when we were both available. We went to French Polynesia together, a hot area of the world so we are both in swim kit most of the time. She wears a quite revealing bikini, we laugh and muck around , we took loads of photos her arms around me, loads of photos of us posing silly.

I uploaded these photos to Facebook, people mainly girls think that I'm with her. When trying to talk to girls they often don't want to meet up with me mainly because of the photos assuming it's my girlfriend and I'm some kind of cheat which isn't the story what so ever.

Is this bad should I take it down if some girls don't like it? At the moment I'm leaving it up as I see the same way as if my friend was male, annoys that people think I shouldn't have a girl as a best friend and I'm sure not going to block out as a friend. Many other people said I should get with my friend, it's a friendship similar to a brother and sister. I want go more holidays with my friend, it just makes me feel awkward. If you got any advice that would be very helpful
Original post by Anonymous
I'm best mates with a girl that I've known since I was 16, now 25. Me and her get on so well that we are completely open and not phased by each other, it's just a really good friendship, we both have different friendship both gone to uni so no way is there anything beyond that.

Quite recently I went on holiday with her as its rarer to have time off when we were both available. We went to French Polynesia together, a hot area of the world so we are both in swim kit most of the time. She wears a quite revealing bikini, we laugh and muck around , we took loads of photos her arms around me, loads of photos of us posing silly.

I uploaded these photos to Facebook, people mainly girls think that I'm with her. When trying to talk to girls they often don't want to meet up with me mainly because of the photos assuming it's my girlfriend and I'm some kind of cheat which isn't the story what so ever.

Is this bad should I take it down if some girls don't like it? At the moment I'm leaving it up as I see the same way as if my friend was male, annoys that people think I shouldn't have a girl as a best friend and I'm sure not going to block out as a friend. Many other people said I should get with my friend, it's a friendship similar to a brother and sister. I want go more holidays with my friend, it just makes me feel awkward. If you got any advice that would be very helpful

I am kind of in a similar situation together only that I have a girlfriend but my best friend is a girl so when I am seen with her joking and laughing people say I am cheating. You just got to ignore people. Keep your photos up. You do stuff for yourself and not others.
if you post photos of a girl with her arms around you people will assume it's a girlfriend, posing in silly photos not so much. If a man had his arms around you they'd think were more than friends with him. So take down photos that make it look like you are a couple. Also put a caption on them - me with my friend.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
You're 25 years old. You shouldn't have to care what other people think about you two.

You know where you both stand and that's all that matters. Carry on enjoying your life :smile:
Carry around a sign everywhere with you that says: "not my girlfriend" and allow it to make an appearance in every fb photo

Or you know, just don't care what people think, I don't think it's necessarily the fact that she's a girl but if you're going on holidays alone, taking cute photos in swimwear you have to be ready for the questions
Original post by Blondie987
Carry around a sign everywhere with you that says: "not my girlfriend" and allow it to make an appearance in every fb photo

Or you know, just don't care what people think, I don't think it's necessarily the fact that she's a girl but if you're going on holidays alone, taking cute photos in swimwear you have to be ready for the questions

Yes, that's very true.
Reply 6
Hopefully one day you will find a girl who feels secure with you enough that she's not fazed your best friend is a girl. Honestly, I think it just comes down to maturity and honesty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending