Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, new member here. Im stuck in a very desperate situation here... I got 1A*, 1B, 3E and 2D in my premock exams. Now I'm doing mock exams (which have also gone bad!) and got final IGCSE exams after 1 month. I believe I can turn these grades into atleast C and above it if i tried at my hardest? Will this decrease chances by much amount to get into a good collage? Should I consider re- taking a year? but it would mean a waste of time and a LOT of money since i go to a private school, i am also afraid of the negative effects it would have on my social life if i repeat a grade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts about it, guys??

ReputationRep:
    IB is so much more demanding than IGCSE that I would advise you strongly against considering the IB if you struggle with IGCSE. But this is only a mock, and lots of people get grades a lot better than in their mocks. staying another year in IGCSE probably would not help if you can potentially pull those Ds and Es into Cs. Personally, I think even if you were to repeat a year, repeating a year of IB or A-levels or whatever else would be a lot more beneficial than repeating IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks AgnesGrey1
    I'll work hard and change those grades to C+ atleast!
    I'm def not gonna repeat a year.

Any other suggestions, guys?

ReputationRep:
    I think it largely depends on what kind of IB points you want to get in the end, and what IB subjects you want to do. If I may ask, which subjects are you getting your A*/B in and are you gonna take them as HL subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Annasuccia , ICT, Business studies, English .. .Yes, I will take them as HL subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sg1795)
    Hey guys, new member here. Im stuck in a very desperate situation here... I got 1A*, 1B, 3E and 2D in my premock exams. Now I'm doing mock exams (which have also gone bad!) and got final IGCSE exams after 1 month. I believe I can turn these grades into atleast C and above it if i tried at my hardest? Will this decrease chances by much amount to get into a good collage? Should I consider re- taking a year? but it would mean a waste of time and a LOT of money since i go to a private school, i am also afraid of the negative effects it would have on my social life if i repeat a grade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Even if you get 5C grades, with 1A* and 1B you will struggle to even get onto A-level courses.

I know of no school which will allow you to retake GCSE year. If you went to a private school and are expecting grades similar to the ones you got in your mocks - that's pretty drastic and either you:

a) have put no work in at all, and I doubt you will for IB or A-levels if you cannot for GCSEs
    b) simply don't have the ability, which isn't a bad thing it's just you won't have the ability to do IB or A-levels if you cannot even make it through GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Even if you get 5C grades, with 1A* and 1B you will struggle to even get onto A-level courses.

I know of no school which will allow you to retake GCSE year. If you went to a private school and are expecting grades similar to the ones you got in your mocks - that's pretty drastic and either you:

a) have put no work in at all, and I doubt you will for IB or A-levels if you cannot for GCSEs
    b) simply don't have the ability, which isn't a bad thing it's just you won't have the ability to do IB or A-levels if you cannot even make it through GCSEs.
    Thanks for your thought.
    I'm going to work real hard from now, and am not expecting anywhere near similar grades I got in mocks in my final GCSE exams!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend doing the IB. If you decide to put in some hard work and do the right combination of subjects you could still get a pretty good score.

I'm in my final year in IB and found that it hasn't opened many doors and so far (hopefully in the future it'll pay off) I would recommend doing A levels. Partly because they are easier and you'll get more time to revise.
    The only reason I think you should want to consider IB is if you have no idea whatsoever about what you want to do at Uni or if you want to go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    @sg1795 I'm in my first year of IB and so far I find it doable. What I got for my GCSEs was 1A, 4Bs and 2Cs (not that great I know) But the thing is as long as you are willing to put your effort in your work whether it's GCSEs or IB it would turn out to be alright in the end. And mocks are for you to look at your performance. Learn your mistakes and then work on it rather than to doubt on ur ability to attain good grades. Just start revising for ur GCSEs and practise LOTS OF PAST PAPERS which I didnt do for my GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I am in my final year, and will have exams soon. IGCSE is MUCH EASIER than the IB. However, if you did not do well in your IGCSEs, it does not mean that you will not be able to do the IB and succeed (I didn't have good IGCSEs, but I am predicted 40+ in the IB).

In order to succeed, it is important that you work hard (consistently), and do not slack off. It's all about time management and hard work and determination.
    I imagine that if you work hard, you will have no problem with attaining the magical 35+ scores

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.