The Student Room Group

Why do unis make unconditionals if you have no grades?

So this girl in my class was just made an unconditional from one the unis she applied to. But she's in A2, only has her AS grade, hasn't even done her A2 exams yet. Now she's not even trying and gone all lax. Tbh I would too. What's the point? Couldn't she just get UUU in her exams and still get in, or stop going to college altogether?
Original post by Save.Me
So this girl in my class was just made an unconditional from one the unis she applied to. But she's in A2, only has her AS grade, hasn't even done her A2 exams yet. Now she's not even trying and gone all lax. Tbh I would too. What's the point? Couldn't she just get UUU in her exams and still get in, or stop going to college altogether?

They offer unconditional offers as a marketing ploy to get people to go there instead of elsewhere. This is done where they are happy the student will achieve good grades and it is highly unlikely someone will get UUU.
Reply 2
Original post by Save.Me

It's a ploy by certain universities to encourage you to go to them.

She still needs to complete her A-Levels, and a future employer may be interested in seeing good A-Level grades even if her prospective university isn't. (And she might not like the uni, and want to transfer elsewhere, in which case the other unis would also be interested in her A-Levels.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just a way of getting people to go to their uni. I got one from the uni I'm currently at.
I didn't start slacking off my A levels for 2 reasons:
1. Future employers may want to see my A level grades.
2. The uni offered me a £1000 bursary if I got AAB (the standard entry grades for the course) and a £3000 bursary if I got A*A*A.
In the end I got A*AA.
Reply 4
A uni can withdraw an offer at any time. If someone with an unconditional offer subsequently fails all their A Levels, it's a pretty safe bet that the uni won't want them.
Well in Scotland, we do our 'main' exams in or penultimate year so a lot of people get unconditionals and then our final year is either for meeting conditionals or just getting extra qualifications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending