Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should The Christian Bible Be Taken Literally? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Should the bible be take literally on non-literally? Why & what empirical data do you have to justify your argument.

Note everyone might comply to your expectations & opinions, so please be as polite as possible. Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    Carbon dating. Evolution. Geology. The world was not created in 7 days. /thread

ReputationRep:
    The Holy Bible is a wonderful guide to life. Clearly it was written a long time ago ? The Old Testament was given to Iron Age herdsmen in the Near East and is saturated in the tribal experiences of that remote age.
    It is fashionable to sneer at the Holy Book and at people who use it as the mainstay of their lives. Those of us who regard the Holy Bible as the authentic words of JHVH expect to be ridiculed and worse.
    The real reason why the Holy Bible is important is not for the Iron Age melodrama of the Old Testament but for the timeless message of the New Testament. Here we find the Almighty arriving in person to suffer with ordinary people like ourselves. The wealthy and powerful feared and despised Him as He helped the lowly. Inevitably this let to His ritual murder.
    So why is this ancient narrative remembered daily by billions when so many others like the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Pali Canon left on the scriptorium shelf ?
    The answer is in what happened after the Crucifixion; the unique event we call the Resurrection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    The real reason why the Holy Bible is important is not for the Iron Age melodrama of the Old Testament but for the timeless message of the New Testament. Here we find the Almighty arriving in person to suffer with ordinary people like ourselves.
    Totally, I can't even begin to describe the suffering when my fig tree doesn't bear any fruit out of season and I curse and curse but still nothing! So then I just go back to handling my snakes and drinking my poison with the faith that I have in my mate Jesus because he promised me I will never see death. He totally gets me. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    Should the bible be take literally on non-literally? Why & what empirical data do you have to justify your argument.

Note everyone might comply to your expectations & opinions, so please be as polite as possible. Thanks .
    Bible is really complex. I think you should not take it literally. The understanding is actually based on what you can comprehend.

ReputationRep:

A literalist interpretation of the Bible, particularly the old testament, would render it completely irrelevant in modern society, in the same way as the Greek pantheon and Norse mythology have been relegated to folklore- a literal reading of the bible is, well, literally just as unviable a belief system.

ReputationRep:
    If you take any from the bible literally you're an idiot.

Jesus turns water into wine, makes everyone alcoholics. Good one mate, way to make people healthier, why not just turn flour into cocaine and get everyone high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABsoluteX)
    If you take any from the bible literally you're an idiot.

Jesus turns water into wine, makes everyone alcoholics. Good one mate, way to make people healthier, why not just turn flour into cocaine and get everyone high.
    The story of Jesus turning water into wine goes much deeper than your surface scanning interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    the wonderful miracles which Our Lord performed really annoy the atheists. as a Christian i believe that He walked on water.... he raised people from the dead... made blind people see... made a few loaves and fish feed thousands of people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    The story of Jesus turning water into wine goes much deeper than your surface scanning interpretation.
    I went to Sunday school and have read the bible.....I soon realised some guy called Jesus was slipping people ecstasy/some hallucinogenic drug and making them think he was doing miracles.

ReputationRep:
    No it shouldn't be.

It's a work of fiction.

ReputationRep:
    The Holy Bible is a wonderful guide to life. Clearly it was written a long time ago ? The Old Testament was given to Iron Age herdsmen in the Near East and is saturated in the tribal experiences of that remote age.
    It is fashionable to sneer at the Holy Book and at people who use it as the mainstay of their lives. Those of us who regard the Holy Bible as the authentic words of JHVH expect to be ridiculed and worse.
    The real reason why the Holy Bible is important is not for the Iron Age melodrama of the Old Testament but for the timeless message of the New Testament. Here we find the Almighty arriving in person to suffer with ordinary people like ourselves. The wealthy and powerful feared and despised Him as He helped the lowly. Inevitably this let to His ritual murder.
    So why is this ancient narrative remembered daily by billions when so many others like the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Pali Canon left on the scriptorium shelf ?
    The answer is in what happened after the Crucifixion; the unique event we call the Resurrection.
    Except in religion, resurrection is not unique. The Egyptian pantheon had Osiris a God of resurrection, numerous heroes in greek stories are resurrected in Greek lore by the Greek gods, some of them even becoming gods themselves, the Norse god Baldur dies and resurrects.

The reason the Christian narative is so well know is Christianity butchered its way through history to try as hard as they could to ensure they were the ONLY religion left standing, granted virtually every other religion has done this as well, Christianity is just the one of the most recent competitors in the knock out tournament.

ReputationRep:
    You're a man of God :love:

ReputationRep:
    the wonderful miracles which Our Lord performed really annoy the atheists. as a Christian i believe that He walked on water.... he raised people from the dead... made blind people see... made a few loaves and fish feed thousands of people...
    Are you being sarcastic? Nobody really believes that, surely? There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest he did any of those things.

Literal interpretation of the Bible, as in Young-Earth Creationism?

Duncan2012 summed it up nicely

ReputationRep:

The bible is made up of many things. Poems, songs, stories, parables,historical events, foretelling the future, recapping of the past, guidance for today. You cannot just look at the bible and take things out of context like pulling out a verse here and there and saying things about it, it just doesn't work like that.

The Old Testament tells us of events from creation leading up to a time before Christ's birth in the New Testament.

It records events and tells us the history of man. It also lays out the ten commandments, effective rules for society to live by today.

As a Christian I read the whole bible . I can't profess to understand all of the Old Testament but understand it was for a certain generation at a certain time in history, it's the New Testament which tells us about new life in Christ and reveals to us God's grace and love.

The bible is a revelation of God, God is revealing his character and nature through his word and in the time we live the bible is a very modern and still a very relevant book for us today.

ReputationRep:
    But isn't ignorance the very reason people perceive these accomplishments to be absurd? The bible was written by a variety of people, so isn't the only way to understand these rather incogitable and idealistic miracles, is to understand the true interpretation of the authors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Except in religion, resurrection is not unique. The Egyptian pantheon had Osiris a God of resurrection, numerous heroes in greek stories are resurrected in Greek lore by the Greek gods, some of them even becoming gods themselves, the Norse god Baldur dies and resurrects.

The reason the Christian narative is so well know is Christianity butchered its way through history to try as hard as they could to ensure they were the ONLY religion left standing, granted virtually every other religion has done this as well, Christianity is just the one of the most recent competitors in the knock out tournament.
    Resurrection is not even unique in the Bible. There are several resurrections:

Elijah resurrected the son of Zarephath's widow.
    Elisha resurrected the son of the great Shunammite woman
    A dead man comes back to life when he touches Elisha's bones
    Jesus resurrects the widow's son at Nain
    Jesus raises Jairus' daughter from the dead
    Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead
    Many saints resurrected at Jesus' crucifixion
    Peter raises a female disciple named Tabitha from the dead
    Paul raises Eutychus from the dead

ReputationRep:
    But isn't ignorance the very reason people perceive these accomplishments to be absurd? The bible was written by a variety of people, so isn't the only way to understand these rather incogitable and idealistic miracles, is to understand the true interpretation of the authors?
    It's a rather strange thing. Once you are a Christian and know God in your life the bible reads differently.

The bible was written by many different hands but the author was God. It is a book that has a complete story from start to finish.

You can listen to 10 different sermons about one verse from the bible and each speaker will give a different talk, all relevant to the verse, all reflecting a different theme from it and all still totally meaningful for your life and drawing you closer to God as his nature and love for you is revealed. Call it supernatural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Call it supernatural.
    Call it creativity. You can do that with pretty well any work of fiction ever written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Call it creativity. You can do that with pretty well any work of fiction ever written.

Not in the same way, this effects your spirit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.