Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should The Christian Bible Be Taken Literally? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Not in the same way, this effects your spirit.
    I think you mean "affects". Well, fiction can affect people's spirit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    Are you being sarcastic? Nobody really believes that, surely? There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest he did any of those things.

Literal interpretation of the Bible, as in Young-Earth Creationism?

Duncan2012 summed it up nicely
    There are parts of the bible which are literal and there are parts which are allegorical.

Personally I believe there is evidence for a world wide flood.

ReputationRep:
    There are parts of the bible which are literal and there are parts which are allegorical.

Personally I believe there is evidence for a world wide flood.
    There could be. But that's more believable? But there is no evidence of a God. No evidence of a Garden of Eden. No evidence of the timescale in which the Bible states the Earth/universe was created.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I think you mean "affects". Well, fiction can affect people's spirit.
    Forgive me for my grammar slip up.

Do you believe people have a spirit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    The Holy Bible is a wonderful guide to life. Clearly it was written a long time ago ? The Old Testament was given to Iron Age herdsmen in the Near East and is saturated in the tribal experiences of that remote age.
    It is fashionable to sneer at the Holy Book and at people who use it as the mainstay of their lives. Those of us who regard the Holy Bible as the authentic words of JHVH expect to be ridiculed and worse.
    The real reason why the Holy Bible is important is not for the Iron Age melodrama of the Old Testament but for the timeless message of the New Testament. Here we find the Almighty arriving in person to suffer with ordinary people like ourselves. The wealthy and powerful feared and despised Him as He helped the lowly. Inevitably this let to His ritual murder.
    So why is this ancient narrative remembered daily by billions when so many others like the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Pali Canon left on the scriptorium shelf ?
    The answer is in what happened after the Crucifixion; the unique event we call the Resurrection.
    PTL bear !!! Ur a christian ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    There could be. But that's more believable?

But there is no evidence of a God. No evidence of a Garden of Eden. No evidence of the timescale in which the Bible states the Earth/universe was created.
    There is evidence of God everywhere you look, even when you look in the mirror. The evidence of God (the creator) is evidenced in every single atom.

The time scale given in the bible totally goes against the time scale given in evolution because it doesn't need the millions of years. If, as I believe, God created everything in a very short time scale (and it was all perfect and fully formed) then the bible is justified in its creation story.

ReputationRep:
    There is evidence of God everywhere you look, even when you look in the mirror. The evidence of God (the creator) is evidenced in every single atom.
    No there is not? Be more specific.

The time scale given in the bible totally goes against the time scale given in evolution because it doesn't need the millions of years. If, as I believe, God created everything in a very short time scale (and it was all perfect and fully formed) then the bible is justified in its creation story.
    What do you mean by perfect and fully formed?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ABsoluteX)
    If you take any from the bible literally you're an idiot.
    You forgot some punctuation:

If you take any from the bible, literally, you're an idiot.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

This is what happens with care in the community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    You forgot some punctuation:

If you take any from the bible, literally, you're an idiot.
    I sense the anger is strong in this one.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I sense the anger is strong in this one.
    Nah, not anger. Just pity.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been waiting for this question for so long!

Here is the definite proof that the Holy Bible, the truth to which i base my actions, should not be taken literally...

John 10:9...
    I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.

When Jesus said this, he didn't mean he was literally a gate or a door, he meant he was a metaphoric passageway to a greater place. So, though the Christian Bible is not meant to be taken literally

ReputationRep:
    Nah, not anger. Just pity.
    You should ask yourself who is more of an idiot. The person who believes in God or the person who realises this is TSR and doesn't bother to please all the grammar nazis by using correct punctuation

(Didn't add a full stop)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You should ask yourself who is more of an idiot. The person who believes in God or the person who realises this is TSR and doesn't bother to please all the grammar nazis by using correct punctuation

(Didn't add a full stop)
    Calm down dear and ask God to make you a nice cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Resurrection is not even unique in the Bible. There are several resurrections:

Elijah resurrected the son of Zarephath's widow.
    Elisha resurrected the son of the great Shunammite woman
    A dead man comes back to life when he touches Elisha's bones
    Jesus resurrects the widow's son at Nain
    Jesus raises Jairus' daughter from the dead
    Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead
    Many saints resurrected at Jesus' crucifixion
    Peter raises a female disciple named Tabitha from the dead
    Paul raises Eutychus from the dead

Yes, there are people identified in the bible as having been brought back from the dead but there are modern day miracles of people being brought back from the dead too. This guy called the jellyfish man is one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59mRZ1Vj8ZU

Some are believable and others are well, some kind of dream state and a bit odd, who knows.

I'll come back and add some more to this if I have time later.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down dear and ask God to make you a nice cup of tea.
    I am God.

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe people have a spirit?
    Only metaphorically.

Some are believable and others are well, some kind of dream state and a bit odd, who knows.
    Let's be honest, none of them are believable and, given the modern magicians' performances, none can be given any weight at all.

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens with care in the community.
    And this is a typical atheists response.

Its fine with me, carry on.

Adds nothing to the discussion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Only metaphorically.

Let's be honest, none of them are believable and, given the modern magicians' performances, none can be given any weight at all.
    Well I don't mean metaphorically, I mean literally. It resonates with your spirit. Your spirit is opened to God and you connect with God, this is a supernatural encounter.

Of course modern day magicians can do magic. Some of it is as a result of a huge team of people setting the tricks up, some the occult,

ReputationRep:
    If, as I believe, God created everything in a very short time scale (and it was all perfect and fully formed) then the bible is justified in its creation story.
    Are you saying you believe the world was created in seven days?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.