Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should The Christian Bible Be Taken Literally? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    And this is a typical atheists response.

Its fine with me, carry on.

Adds nothing to the discussion though.
    its impossible to argue abt religion. Im a christian and i believe its most important to keep ur faith in Him and believe firmly in His words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macauley Ware)
    Ive been waiting for this question for so long!

Here is the definite proof that the Holy Bible, the truth to which i base my actions, should not be taken literally...

John 10:9...
    I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.

When Jesus said this, he didn't mean he was literally a gate or a door, he meant he was a metaphoric passageway to a greater place. So, though the Christian Bible is not meant to be taken literally
    This is one example of imagery. God uses the image of a door to represent a man's heart. God doesn't force the door open, he waits and knocks.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone should hear My voice and open the door, then I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me (Revelation 3 v 20)

Just like God is reaching down to man but he doesn't want to open the door (his heart) and let God in. When he does accept God and opens the door, God will come into his life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Are you saying you believe the world was created in seven days?
    Six. He rested on the seventh, remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    its impossible to argue abt religion. Im a christian and i believe its most important to keep ur faith in Him and believe firmly in His words.

I think you are right in a way.

Only God can soften a man's heart.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are right in a way.

Only God can soften a man's heart.

To everyone in this thread JESUS LOVES Y'ALL Truly !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Are you saying you believe the world was created in seven days?

I have no reason not to believe that.

ReputationRep:
    Not really no.

One of my closest friends is a very conservative Evangelical Christian and as much as I lover her personality, she is amazingly ignorant because she takes the book literally (eg She thinks I'm going to hell for not being Christian)

A while back we were talking about the Gospels and she was telling me how God had picked the Gospels to spread the message of Jesus Christ etc. I calmly explained to her that the Gospels had been picked out the Council of Niscea thousands of years ago and she had a hissy fit mainly because I kind of ripped the Bible apart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Not really no.

One of my closest friends is a very conservative Evangelical Christian and as much as I lover her personality, she is amazingly ignorant because she takes the book literally (eg She thinks I'm going to hell for not being Christian)

A while back we were talking about the Gospels and she was telling me how God had picked the Gospels to spread the message of Jesus Christ etc. I calmly explained to her that the Gospels had been picked out the Council of Niscea thousands of years ago and she had a hissy fit mainly because I kind of ripped the Bible apart.
    got a rejection from imp

ReputationRep:
    Not really no.

Does it even say that specifically anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    I have no reason not to believe that.
    Oh FFS. Do you also believe:

we should eat bread cooked above human poo? Ezekiel 4:12
    If a man rapes a woman, he must pay her father 50 Sheckels and then marry her? Deuteronomy 22:28-29
    If a man sleeps with a married woman, or a virgin betrothed to another man, they both shall be put to death? Deuteronomy 22:22-24
    Anyone who works on a Saturday must be killed? Exodus 35:1-2
    If you suspect your wife may be sleeping around - give her holy water mixed with dirt from the floor and if she gets sick, she's an adulteress. Numbers 5:11-28

Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    This is one example of imagery. God uses the image of a door to represent a man's heart. God doesn't force the door open, he waits and knocks.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone should hear My voice and open the door, then I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me (Revelation 3 v 20)

Just like God is reaching down to man but he doesn't want to open the door (his heart) and let God in. When he does accept God and opens the door, God will come into his life.
    However it is interpreted (i like your interpretation a lot), it shows that the Bible was never meant to be taken literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    got a rejection from imp
    Their loss

(Original post by Mahmoud X)
    Does it even say that specifically anywhere?

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Revelation 21:8

ReputationRep:
    Their loss

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Revelation 21:8
    Surely the apocalyptic prophecies don't apply to death in general. If someone died and the apocalypse had not happened, why would God not accept them converting after death?

This assumes it's all true which is lol

ReputationRep:
    Surely the apocalyptic prophecies don't apply to death in general. If someone died and the apocalypse had not happened, why would God not accept them converting after death?

This assumes it's all true which is lol

Ask God that yourself bebs. I have no idea.

My friend loves Jewish people though so she'd probs make an exception for them . However, I'm going to hell apparently because I'm a polytheist :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Ask God that yourself bebs. I have no idea.

My friend loves Jewish people though so she'd probs make an exception for them . However, I'm going to hell apparently because I'm a polytheist :ahee:
    All of the best people will be in hell

Like Stephen Fry

ReputationRep:
    All of the best people will be in hell

Like Stephen Fry
    Thanks tbh

ReputationRep:
    I would say that the Bible is in lots of was a really cool and amazing book and there are lots of parts of it that can be taken completely literally, no questions asked. But Winnie-the-Pooh is also an amazing series and I would't take everything in it as gospel. So if you're reading the Bible you should take some parts with a pinch of salt and others literally. If you find out which parts you want to believe, then you can find a way to how you want to live your religion-related life. Or not, if you're an atheist.

In short, believe what you want to believe.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks tbh
    If an organised religion like Christianity or Islam were true, I would ask to go to hell, if God is burning people for being gay, I would just be like actually you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If an organised religion like Christianity or Islam were true, I would ask to go to hell, if God is burning people for being gay, I would just be like actually you're wrong.
    A lot of Christians have kind of rejected the idea of being gay will mean you go to hell.

A lot of Muslims haven't though.

Thank God Judaism says that you don't have to be Jewish to go to hell.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hope no one takes the old testament literally. Could get messy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.