Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should The Christian Bible Be Taken Literally? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    A lot of Christians have kind of rejected the idea of being gay will mean you go to hell.
    Yes, but it isn't their call, is it? If their god says you go to hell, no amount of modern thinking will change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Ask God that yourself bebs. I have no idea.

My friend loves Jewish people though so she'd probs make an exception for them . However, I'm going to hell apparently because I'm a polytheist :ahee:
    Technically we're not, but :shh:
    No-one needs to know :ninja:

:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    There is evidence of God everywhere you look, even when you look in the mirror. The evidence of God (the creator) is evidenced in every single atom.
    God of the Gaps.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are people identified in the bible as having been brought back from the dead but there are modern day miracles of people being brought back from the dead too.
    No there aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are right in a way.

Only God can soften a man's heart.
    God can also harden a man's heart as he did with Pharaoh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the wonderful miracles which Our Lord performed really annoy the atheists. as a Christian i believe that He walked on water.... he raised people from the dead... made blind people see... made a few loaves and fish feed thousands of people...
    Is it true it states that the Earth is 6000 years old (as of today)? And if it is, do you believe it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Yes, but it isn't their call, is it? If their god says you go to hell, no amount of modern thinking will change that.
    Yes, but you're cherry picking specific passages to evoke a specific emotion - That of God being a petty and hateful being.

So - Who goes to Hell based on the bible

Liars do. I've lied.

Murderers do - And Jesus makes it clear that hating your brother is the same as murder, and all men and women are brothers and sisters. I'm guilty of that, too.

Adulterers do. And Jesus makes it clear that any man who looks upon another woman with lust in his heart has committed adultery. I've done that, too.

If I verbally attacked someone for being gay, I'd have to say "I might be a lying, murderous adulterer, but you like dudes, man. That's uncool." and I would be(And should be) roundly mocked for such a silly assertion. There's a reason some preachers go on about it, but it's a problem the bible addresses called 'Scratching itching ears'. I'll talk about that in another thread if there's interest.

The purpose to all this isn't, "If you're gay, you're evil." - The purpose is that everyone - Every. Single. One of us - is not justified by the law. We've all sinned, we've all hated, we've all shown just how bad we can be. And as bad as we are, we all have the chance to be something better and to grow. to become more like the people He wants us to be, which is so much better than who we want ourselves to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahmoud X)
    Does it even say that specifically anywhere?
    Not specifically but this is pretty close:

Mark 16:16: “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned.”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Yes, but you're cherry picking specific passages to evoke a specific emotion - That of God being a petty and hateful being.
    Cherry-picking does not come into it. If your supposedly god-given scripture says that the god is a vengeful being, and a jealous god (as yours does) is it not reasonable to accept it at face value? Or is he only vengeful and jealous on Wednesday mornings between 10am and 10:05am?

ReputationRep:
    Cherry-picking does not come into it. If your supposedly god-given scripture says that the god is a vengeful being, and a jealous god (as yours does) is it not reasonable to accept it at face value? Or is he only vengeful and jealous on Wednesday mornings between 10am and 10:05am?
    And this is actually a straw man. One can be both vengeful and jealous(Within the context of scripture) without being hateful and petty.

I'm actually unsure if you know what a straw man is and why it's considered a logical fallacy(And I'm not being condescending or rude. Many people don't know and, since this is the internet tone is impossible to follow). If you'd like, I can explain it to you?

Or if you were deliberately using a straw man and trying to set the tone for a mocking online battle, that's cool, too. Just let me know and I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled hatefest - Some of us watch TV, eat pizza and have sex, some of us like to get online and try to stir up trouble. We all have our ways to pass the day and I'm okay with it if that's your deal!

ReputationRep:
    One can be both vengeful and jealous(Within the context of scripture) without being hateful and petty.
    I don't like vengeful and jealous gods under any circumstances. The acts of destruction described in the Bible are, though, hateful.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like vengeful and jealous gods under any circumstances. The acts of destruction described in the Bible are, though, hateful.
    They aren't, and I don't believe that you hate all acts of vengeance.

The modern acts of cinema are filled with acts of vengeance where wicked people receive their comeuppance and, if someone murdered a close and beloved family member of yours, you would most likely want vengeance. An omniscient God would by nature understand far more than you and be far more capable of correctly providing the measure of vengeance necessary for justice while you would not.

Though actually, now you're on a fallacy called 'Moving the goalposts'. Your original post was about homosexuality and, when I pointed out how that was wrong, you then moved on to another unrelated subject.

If you'd like, I can explain why 'Moving the goalposts' is a logical fallacy? I'm honestly not being funny here. I suspect you're just determined to hate religion and don't even know you're doing it, or you're unaware of why these are logical fallacies.

ReputationRep:
    They aren't, and I don't believe that you hate all acts of vengeance.

The modern acts of cinema are filled with acts of vengeance where wicked people receive their comeuppance and, if someone murdered a close and beloved family member of yours, you would most likely want vengeance. An omniscient God would by nature understand far more than you and be far more capable of correctly providing the measure of vengeance necessary for justice while you would not.

Though actually, now you're on a fallacy called 'Moving the goalposts'. Your original post was about homosexuality and, when I pointed out how that was wrong, you then moved on to another unrelated subject.

If you'd like, I can explain why 'Moving the goalposts' is a logical fallacy? I'm honestly not being funny here. I suspect you're just determined to hate religion and don't even know you're doing it, or you're unaware of why these are logical fallacies.
    Before you lecture me on logical fallacies I suggest you learn to carefully read what I write.

My original post was purely about whether what modern believers think about who will go to hell is relevant (it isn't), not about homosexuality. I didn't refer to homosexuality at all, though I will agree I was replying to people who had done so. It was not why I posted though, and that would have been obvious if you had read my post carefully.

I do hate all significant acts of vengeance (we are, after all, not talking about childish acts here). It stems from a purely human emotional need for justice, and I always advocate allowing society to administer justice, not the individual. Vigilantes are the devil's spawn.

Any god that took vengeance is not the sort of god that I'd want to worship. Surely an omniscient god must have better, less human methods that that crude measure? Vengeance is not necessary, in my view, for justice. Properly administered and humane punishment is not vengeance; the wilful destruction of whole civilisations is not worthy of respect, never mind worship.

ReputationRep:
    I do hate all significant acts of vengeance (we are, after all, not talking about childish acts here). It stems from a purely human emotional need for justice, and I always advocate allowing society to administer justice, not the individual. Vigilantes are the devil's spawn.

Any god that took vengeance is not the sort of god that I'd want to worship. Surely an omniscient god must have better, less human methods that that crude measure? Vengeance is not necessary, in my view, for justice. Properly administered and humane punishment is not vengeance; the wilful destruction of whole civilisations is not worthy of respect, never mind worship.
    Actually, the dictionary definition of vengeance is:

vengeanceˈvɛn(d)ʒ(ə)ns/nounnoun: vengeance
    1. punishment inflicted or retribution exacted for an injury or wrong."voters are ready to wreak vengeance on all politicians"

So, in actuality, vengeance -is- justice - It is the properly administrated punishment for the crimes we have committed. It is a just retribution for the wrongs we all have committed.

And you'll be happy to note that God -does- have a better method than that "crude measure"(Rather just measure, since we're all worthy of destruction.) It's called 'Repentance' and God allows everyone that opportunity.

God believes in free agency, so he will never steal your free will from you. With that in mind, also note that he will not allow ethical cancers to grow unchecked. He has, from time to time, taken the act of the Doctor and removed the cancer. Not without thought, either - Lot prayed numerous times for leniency for his people and God relented on every request.

ReputationRep:
    It is a very old historical book of great value.

ReputationRep:
    I highly recommend reading it, objectively and without others to misinterpret the text for you.

There is no faster way to become an atheist.

ReputationRep:

So, in actuality, vengeance -is- justice - It is the properly administrated punishment for the crimes we have committed. It is a just retribution for the wrongs we all have committed.

And you'll be happy to note that God -does- have a better method than that "crude measure"(Rather just measure, since we're all worthy of destruction.) It's called 'Repentance' and God allows everyone that opportunity.

God believes in free agency, so he will never steal your free will from you. With that in mind, also note that he will not allow ethical cancers to grow unchecked. He has, from time to time, taken the act of the Doctor and removed the cancer. Not without thought, either - Lot prayed numerous times for leniency for his people and God relented on every request.
    The definition of Justice:

just behaviour or treatment.
    Vengence and Justice are not the same thing, one is done in the name of personal satisfaction and the other is done in the name of fairness.

And God not taking away free will?

Exodus 7:3 and Exodus 7:4:
    But I will harden Pharaoh's heart that I may multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt. When Pharaoh does not listen to you, then I will lay My hand on Egypt and bring out My hosts, My people the sons of Israel, from the land of Egypt by great judgments.

Seems like pretty clear violation of free will that God does in order to justify butchering children.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be taken literally or figuratively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW22)
    It shouldn't be taken literally or figuratively
    It is rather like a cyanide pill, then: it should not be taken at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Oh FFS. Do you also believe:

we should eat bread cooked above human poo? Ezekiel 4:12
    If a man rapes a woman, he must pay her father 50 Sheckels and then marry her? Deuteronomy 22:28-29
    If a man sleeps with a married woman, or a virgin betrothed to another man, they both shall be put to death? Deuteronomy 22:22-24
    Anyone who works on a Saturday must be killed? Exodus 35:1-2
    If you suspect your wife may be sleeping around - give her holy water mixed with dirt from the floor and if she gets sick, she's an adulteress. Numbers 5:11-28

Seriously?

Don't be daft. Do you?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.