Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should The Christian Bible Be Taken Literally? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's questions like this that add to the list of reasons that makes the whole world think Christians are all a bunch of delusional morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macauley Ware)
    However it is interpreted (i like your interpretation a lot), it shows that the Bible was never meant to be taken literally.

That's how I have always understood that verse to read and I've heard preaching on it many times, its part of the gospel in a nutshell.

There are literal parts and non literal parts. Stuff that remains back in the time it was written, for the people of that time and then other things that give us lessons for life and encouragement for times such as this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No there aren't.
    There are. I gave a link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    God can also harden a man's heart as he did with Pharaoh.

Exodus 1:16 “When you serve as midwife to the Hebrew women and see them on the birth stool, if it is a son, you shall kill him, but if it is a daughter, she shall live.”

The Pharaohs heart was already hardened.

ReputationRep:
    It should certainly be taken perfectly literally, because it reads a lot funnier that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    Are you being sarcastic? Nobody really believes that, surely? There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest he did any of those things.

Literal interpretation of the Bible, as in Young-Earth Creationism?

Duncan2012 summed it up nicely
    No I believe that Jesus did walk on water and performed other miracles such as turning water into wine. I also believe that he died on the Cross to pay for humanity's sins and that he is fully man and fully God in the flesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Exodus 1:16 “When you serve as midwife to the Hebrew women and see them on the birth stool, if it is a son, you shall kill him, but if it is a daughter, she shall live.”

Then God hardened it even further, tampering with his free will.

Exodus 7:3 and Exodus 7:4:
    But I will harden Pharaoh's heart that I may multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt. When Pharaoh does not listen to you, then I will lay My hand on Egypt and bring out My hosts, My people the sons of Israel, from the land of Egypt by great judgments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Then God hardened it even further, tampering with his free will.

Exodus 7:3 and Exodus 7:4:
    But I will harden Pharaoh's heart that I may multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt. When Pharaoh does not listen to you, then I will lay My hand on Egypt and bring out My hosts, My people the sons of Israel, from the land of Egypt by great judgments.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord

We all have hardened hearts, because we all do wrong and turn away from God. None of us are perfect. God says death is the wage of living a sinful life but, God gives us a hand to pull us out of the mess, that hand is Jesus.

Through out the Old Testament we see examples of God's grace to mankind. Take the story of Noah, God gave humanity 100 years (the time it took to build the ark) to turn from their wicked and evil ways but they didn't, they preferred to 'think evil continuously'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    No I believe that Jesus did walk on water and performed other miracles such as turning water into wine. I also believe that he died on the Cross to pay for humanity's sins and that he is fully man and fully God in the flesh.
    Other than because the Bible says so..
    Why do you believe those things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    Other than because the Bible says so..
    Why do you believe those things
    I have faith.

ReputationRep:
    If you believe everything written in a book with no evidence, I think you should be free to interpret it however you want.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be daft. Do you?
    You said you believe the literal story of creation in the bible. Why do you believe that but not other parts of the bible?

ReputationRep:
    No, I think not. First and foremost because the consequences of doing so are arguably not beneficial to the individual or society (I won'y go into this here). Secondly, the new testament has undergone many translations. This means that it is a document that has been frequently altered in the past to convey the spirit of an age; ergo any version you take would roughly instruct you on how to act in line with the values of that age. An example: Erasmus made a translation of the bible for which he looked to the original Greek in which he discovered that in the phrase 'in the beginning the was the word" 'word' was written 'logos'. Who would translate 'logos' as word? Erasmus translated it as 'conversation', the pope objected, and the Jérôme version was ratified. All this to say that he did so in the spirit of humanism and because it was clearly the more scholarly thing to do - thus followed the reformation, further versions of the bible, and advances in humanism. All this the say all versions of the bible are documents produced within socio-political contexts by individuals with their own sets of values and motives. (Unless you believe they were all dictated by God in which case you can happily ignore the above.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Is it true it states that the Earth is 6000 years old (as of today)? And if it is, do you believe it?
    no that is complete rubbish. i think the Earth is only 3784 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    no that is complete rubbish. i think the Earth is only 3784 years old.
    Lol. Can you give a serious answer now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Lol. Can you give a serious answer now?
    i'm busy building this big boat right now ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:

"And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had spoken unto Moses" (Ex 9:12)

ReputationRep:
    Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord

We all have hardened hearts, because we all do wrong and turn away from God. None of us are perfect. God says death is the wage of living a sinful life but, God gives us a hand to pull us out of the mess, that hand is Jesus.

Through out the Old Testament we see examples of God's grace to mankind. Take the story of Noah, God gave humanity 100 years (the time it took to build the ark) to turn from their wicked and evil ways but they didn't, they preferred to 'think evil continuously'.
    That still doesn't alter the fact that God said he would harden the pharaohs heart, so that he had an excuse to slaughter children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABsoluteX)
    If you take any from the bible literally you're an idiot.

Jesus turns water into wine, makes everyone alcoholics. Good one mate, way to make people healthier, why not just turn flour into cocaine and get everyone high.
    But wine is good for you. A good choice of alcoholic beverage for billions of people to drink instead of water I would say.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.