Turn on thread page Beta

chewing gum watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how many pieces a day?......poll later

read 8 as 8+

ReputationRep:
    I used to chew chewing gum when I couldnt be arsed to brush my teeth, but then realised thats filthy. Chewing gum also dehydrates you and destroys your teeth. Brush your teeth is the message.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    how many pieces a day?......poll later
    5-10

ReputationRep:
    i get thru a pack a day... i dont mind what flavour or make. Im trying to give up heh. I think ive tried all gum thats out there!

ReputationRep:
    why do they sell it at the dentist then?
    make money?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the stuff. *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    extra all the way

ReputationRep:
    why do they sell it at the dentist then?
    I dunno, my dentist told me not to chew any gum, even sugar free.

ReputationRep:
    yeh dude - cool breeze
    noo no way, cool breeze is not strong enough

ReputationRep:
    the poll took off my 9+ option :mad:
    How rude of it :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    How rude of it :mad:
    naughty poll naughty naughty poll!

ReputationRep:
    i know! and now it says i have already voted coz i clicked 9+ and it disappeared - outrageous!
    :eek: How shocking

ReputationRep:
    i know! and now it says i have already voted coz i clicked 9+ and it disappeared - outrageous!
    i think you should cut down on chewing gums overconsumption may lead to laxative effects :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't mind chewing gum, but I don't chew it much, certainly less than 1 a day.
    The dentist sells it because chewing gum produces saliva. Saliva is mildly alkaline (pH 7.5-8 ish).
    Bacteria in your mouth eat stuff, and produce carbon dioxide as one of their waste products. As you may know, this in fizzy drinks = carbonic acid (H2CO3), which is acidic, and destroys the enamel layer in your teeth.

If your mouth produces a lot of saliva, it will eventually neutralise the acid produced by these bacteria. Saliva is produced in large quantities when you chew. (Stomach thinks it's gonna get a little treat)
    However, it does indeed dehydrate your mouth, and kills your jaw after very long (mine at least).

I don't know why a dentist would disapprove of gum in a tooth way, though.

ReputationRep:
    i think i'm going to cry
    It ain't worth crying about hun Sad as it may seem now, you'll look back on this moment later in life and wonder what all the fuss was about.

ReputationRep:
    gum is suppose to be bad for you because the stomach creates more acid, thinking that food will be coming down on its way

There isn't really an option for me, i said 0 but that's not true because sometimes i'd have some, but 1 a day is nowhere near as much as i have...so...yeah i heard it's bad for your stomach lining but with the amount i chew it i'll have no problems i don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowStorm)
    Don't mind chewing gum, but I don't chew it much, certainly less than 1 a day.
    The dentist sells it because chewing gum produces saliva. Saliva is mildly alkaline (pH 7.5-8 ish).
    Bacteria in your mouth eat stuff, and produce carbon dioxide as one of their waste products. As you may know, this in fizzy drinks = carbonic acid (H2CO3), which is acidic, and destroys the enamel layer in your teeth.

If your mouth produces a lot of saliva, it will eventually neutralise the acid produced by these bacteria. Saliva is produced in large quantities when you chew. (Stomach thinks it's gonna get a little treat)
    However, it does indeed dehydrate your mouth, and kills your jaw after very long (mine at least).

I don't know why a dentist would disapprove of gum in a tooth way, though.
    Apparantly the constant sticking/pulling rips your fillings/teeth to shreds after a while..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    gum is suppose to be bad for you because the stomach creates more acid, thinking that food will be coming down on its way
    LOL the way u explain it

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.