Fish - Pet or Decoration?

Watch
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
From my perspective, many people don't view fish as pets. This suggests people subsequently view fish as non-living.

A family I know keeps their fish in a pond without any netting. This means that their cats constantly eat the fish they put in the pond. After all the fish have disappeared, they buy new ones.

So, because fish are unable to wag their tails or show affection, they don't deserve a secure home environment or respect. That's the impression I get.

What do you think?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
From my perspective, many people don't view fish as pets. This suggests people subsequently view fish as non-living.

A family I know keeps their fish in a pond without any netting. This means that their cats constantly eat the fish they put in the pond. After all the fish have disappeared, they buy new ones.

So, because fish are unable to wag their tails or show affection, they don't deserve a secure home environment or respect. That's the impression I get.

What do you think?
I think it depends on the reason for keeping fish really... I guess some people think they look good, and might be seen as a bit of sign of status if you have a large modern fish tank in your house making it look all cool...

I do know someone who kept fish in a tank, and pretty much loved them as if they were their cats/dogs...
Camerooni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally see fish as a decoration. I have fish myself, but I'm still very aware that they are alive, and so I take care of them.

The definition of a pet is an animal that is kept for one's company or protection. I don't see a fish as either of those. I keep fish purely for decoration and aesthetics.

Saying whether a fish is a pet or decoration is just a definition or opinion, however, regardless, people should definitely take care of them.
Martinnathalie9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a pet. Regardless of whether it can convey emotion or not, it's still a living creature. I remember when my dad flushed the family fish down the loo, I was traumatised D:
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do see them more as a decoration than a pet tbh but I do still see them as a life form and they should be treated with respect, fed well etc. To me though, a pet is an animal you actively engage with and have a bond with. I can't say I ever felt that with any fish I had but I did feel sad when they passed away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lunch.

I don't understand your (fish aren't pets) \Rightarrow (fish aren't living) implication.
The Joker ~
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fish = Sushi !!! :3
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A pet. They’re a lot more intelligent than people think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
user382
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Decoration' really.

Something you don't interact with can't really be considered a pet.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30%
No (49)
70%

Watched Threads