Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm pretty new to this website so i don't really know what i'm doing so you'll have to excuse me here😂 (i may put this in both the medicine and the healthcare categories)
    i'm supposed to be starting to look at universities now (for 2017 entry) and i'm really confused about what i actually want to do as a career right now, so i'm not sure what courses to consider!
    i either want to go into childrens nursing or being a biomedical scientist (2 completely different options, i know) and i'm not sure which i'd prefer to do!
    i have things holding me back from both of them, i'm put off nursing slightly because i have social phobia (so i don't think that being constantly around other people 24/7 would be right for my mental health) but i think that there are more opportunities for nurses job wise? and i'm also put off doing biomedicine at uni (to become a biomedical scientist, perhaps) because i'm scared that i'm too thick to do that and that uni's would prefer someone with a-levels? (i'm a btec kid :/) i think i do prefer the idea of doing biomedicine though because i really love the more science related side of my college course (health science) and i do get good grades in my assignments (i've achieved straight distinctions so far) and i guess there are loads of different jobs that you could go into with that - but i just don't know what i want to do and my teachers are really piling on the pressure - ahh!

what do you guys think would be a better option for me? or things i can do to help me make up my mind😂😂

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to work with people then I really don't think nursing is the career for you. But why not do some work experience and find out what it's really like. It will definitely help you make up your mind

It sounds like the only thing holding you back from doing biomedical science is concerns about your intelligence. Have you found out the grade requirements for the course? If you meet them, then don't worry about it any more than that. If you get the grades then you are good enough to do the course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever shadowed a nurse to see what the day to day job is like? Might be a good start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by widesinder)
    hi, i'm pretty new to this website so i don't really know what i'm doing so you'll have to excuse me here😂 (i may put this in both the medicine and the healthcare categories)
    i'm supposed to be starting to look at universities now (for 2017 entry) and i'm really confused about what i actually want to do as a career right now, so i'm not sure what courses to consider!
    i either want to go into childrens nursing or being a biomedical scientist (2 completely different options, i know) and i'm not sure which i'd prefer to do!
    i have things holding me back from both of them, i'm put off nursing slightly because i have social phobia (so i don't think that being constantly around other people 24/7 would be right for my mental health) but i think that there are more opportunities for nurses job wise? and i'm also put off doing biomedicine at uni (to become a biomedical scientist, perhaps) because i'm scared that i'm too thick to do that and that uni's would prefer someone with a-levels? (i'm a btec kid :/) i think i do prefer the idea of doing biomedicine though because i really love the more science related side of my college course (health science) and i do get good grades in my assignments (i've achieved straight distinctions so far) and i guess there are loads of different jobs that you could go into with that - but i just don't know what i want to do and my teachers are really piling on the pressure - ahh!

what do you guys think would be a better option for me? or things i can do to help me make up my mind😂😂
    Have you thought about the NHS scientist training programme? You can enter at 18 or after a degree and they train you up. Depending on which area you get into you can have some patient contact too which is cool, and you get paid!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.