Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tattoo rule prevents potential RAF recruit from joining

Worth a read to any wannabes out there, something else to consider when getting yourself inked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Tattoo rule prevents potential RAF recruit from joining

Worth a read to any wannabes out there, something else to consider when getting yourself inked.
    This makes it seem like you cant have one. Tattoos are allowed unless they are visible above the collar or beyond shirt sleeves. Also offensive ones too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    This makes it seem like you cant have one. Tattoos are allowed unless they are visible above the collar or beyond shirt sleeves. Also offensive ones too.
    Read the article. It makes it clear that she was refused because hers are visible above the collar.

As I said, it's something for people to think about if they're joining up or may want to in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Read the article. It makes it clear that she was refused because hers are visible above the collar.

As I said, it's something for people to think about if they're joining up or may want to in the future.
    I read that, but most people skim read, I was making it clear.

ReputationRep:
    Starting a petition because the rules don't suit her? She'll go far in the armed forces :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Very little sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Starting a petition because the rules don't suit her? She'll go far in the armed forces :rolleyes:
    I know right

"We want to be equal to men!"
    "Oh, we don't like a rule that everyone follows regardless of gender? Make it easier for us females!"

I know she didn't say anything about gender but it just reminds me off the police fitness test things in america.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm an old dinosaur, but what made the UK military stand out from the rest of society was that self discipline,self respect and a smart bearing was built in.

We now live in a very liberal society where anything and everything is accepted without blinking an eye. The received wisdom is that the Armed Forces should reflect the society we live in, but does that mean they should accommodate every desire of individuals just because it's their human right?

I'm sure there's an argument that tattoos do no-one any harm and are just an expression of personality. That's one view, and if hidden by clothing, nothing wrong with it. It wouldn't be my choice, but I'll fight for anyone's right to express their individuality. But if service personnel have tattoos (or body piercings) on open display, I defy anyone serving to deny that it looks all wrong and gives out the message 'F**k you, I'll do what I want'. That may be acceptable in civvy street (and apparently is), but when you're dealing with weapons of war and split second life or death decisions, I want to trust the person next to me implicitly, not deal with his/her attitude. And yes, I have seen a 'young lady' (Flt Lt) who thought that a visible tattoo on her ankle was kool. Other less visible tatts gave an insight into the personal qualities of this commissioned officer. Definitely a party lady, but not very effective as a leader of men / women when the chips were down.

I'm sure this army lady's colleagues are very proud of her individuality:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/...hoto/456145862

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikaruss)
    I know I'm an old dinosaur, but what made the UK military stand out from the rest of society was that self discipline,self respect and a smart bearing was built in.

We now live in a very liberal society where anything and everything is accepted without blinking an eye. The received wisdom is that the Armed Forces should reflect the society we live in, but does that mean they should accommodate every desire of individuals just because it's their human right?

I'm sure there's an argument that tattoos do no-one any harm and are just an expression of personality. That's one view, and if hidden by clothing, nothing wrong with it. It wouldn't be my choice, but I'll fight for anyone's right to express their individuality. But if service personnel have tattoos (or body piercings) on open display, I defy anyone serving to deny that it looks all wrong and gives out the message 'F**k you, I'll do what I want'. That may be acceptable in civvy street (and apparently is), but when you're dealing with weapons of war and split second life or death decisions, I want to trust the person next to me implicitly, not deal with his/her attitude. And yes, I have seen a 'young lady' (Flt Lt) who thought that a visible tattoo on her ankle was kool. Other less visible tatts gave an insight into the personal qualities of this commissioned officer. Definitely a party lady, but not very effective as a leader of men / women when the chips were down.

I'm sure this army lady's colleagues are very proud of her individuality:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/...hoto/456145862
    I personally think that the regulations should be nothing below the knee/elbow or above the neck.

That way even in short sleeves or with female personnel wearing skirts you can see any tattoos.

ReputationRep:
    The rules are fine how they are, the progressive-left has absolutely no place in the military.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mahmoud X)
    The rules are fine how they are, the progressive-left has absolutely no place in the military.
    Two distinct issues here and they are not related. Tattoos are not the preserve of progressives or the political left. As for political leanings, of course there is a place for different political views in the military, regardless of skin or ink.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion: recruits should never be overlooked because of ink on their skin. As the article said, they only wear their parade uniform once a year, so shouldn't covering it up for the occasion be considered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smidge_midge)
    My opinion: recruits should never be overlooked because of ink on their skin. As the article said, they only wear their parade uniform once a year, so shouldn't covering it up for the occasion be considered?
    The whole point is that if they wear their parade uniform and the tattoo is still visible then that is not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    The whole point is that if they wear their parade uniform and the tattoo is still visible then that is not acceptable.
    I'm saying they should have the chance to conceal it if it is visible.

ReputationRep:
    Some might wear it once a year, some might wear it much more regularly. I wouldn't trust that statement from her.

(Original post by Mahmoud X)
    It's worth noting that that's nonsense. The woman in question is openly homosexual and that's not remotely an issue. This isn't a left / right issue.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying they should have the chance to conceal it if it is visible.
    How would they conceal it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    How would they conceal it?
    Easily. There are plenty of products like Dermablend and tattoo camo that will conceal the tattoos so that they cannot be seen.

ReputationRep:
    Easily. There are plenty of products like Dermablend and tattoo camo that will conceal the tattoos so that they cannot be seen.
    They're not compatible with military life - you can't guarantee being able to get ahold of such products when in the field, when on exercise, when on ops, etc. That's the same reason people with long term, though not debilitating, medical issues are barred from service.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.