Turn on thread page Beta

Longer school days on way as George Osborne vows to scrap 3.30pm home time watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgjog3)
    It might work in my opinion if they increase the number of breaks between classes. > or make lunch longer since you're going to stay for longer.
    As a child my school started from 8.00 to 16.00 every day.
    But we had Wednesdays off in primary.
    We had lots of breaks
    School was fun. Teachers didn't feel pressured by 'lack of time'
    And people in the 'upper' years who had exams had more time to study and prepare.
    Also on the plus side it allows parents to come out from work, (those who end work from 3-5) Quickly cook food and relax before the 'rowdy' kids come. It makes for more valuable family time.

I think the only way you can judge it is if you've lived through it. European countries live that habit/school life and they're doing significantly better than British kids.
    I guess you can only look to other countries and judge by what is and isn't working.

I'd be interested to know how this affects students energy levels and work / life balance in today's super busy world.

(Original post by Mahmoud X)
    Why?

We were already given a tonne of homework our lazy good for nothing teachers either forgot to mark or forced us to mark as a class which was an insulting waste of my time. Teachers also waste too much time anyway, with lessons where you have to make posters or play stupid games.
    Take your head out of your bum. Ofsted MAKES teachers do "fun" lessons like that, and as for marking - give your teachers a break, they are probably snowed under with work!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    Take your head out of your bum. Ofsted MAKES teachers do "fun" lessons like that, and as for marking - give your teachers a break, they are probably snowed under with work!:rolleyes:
    Compared with doctors, investment bankers, rubbish collectors, ohhh it's such a hard job :rolleyes:

diddums lol

ReputationRep:
    Pointless.

They are determined to turn us into China.

Next step 3 hours of homework every evening for 8 year olds.

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I think it's a good idea...

:vroam:

If they use the extra hours wisely.... like for physical activity/crafts and homework time perhaps.... then it's easier for parents as they won't have to pay extortionate amounts for childcare, and better for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds as they'll be in school to do homework, and be able to get that extra help support from teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)

If they use the extra hours wisely.... like for physical activity/crafts and homework time perhaps.... then it's easier for parents as they won't have to pay extortionate amounts for childcare, and better for kids from disadvantaged backgrounds as they'll be in school to do homework, and be able to get that extra help support from teachers.
    Agreed.even if its study clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)

But why must everything be so regimented? :sad:

You can provide all those things as optional for those that need it. In primary school me and my friends would get exercise playing about in the field and trees outside out school. We would not be aloud to climb trees in school hours because of heath and safety. In high school I would bugger off on my bike up to the local crag and rock climb on my own in the quarry. To revise and learn things I have always needed/wanted on my own time to just go though questions on my own without distractions. I can't concentrate that well around other people. I would not have wanted to be forced to attend study groups.

More and more it about being told how to do everything rather than giving you some freedom to work it out yourself. Also what about family time? I know you could argue that both parents working already encroacher on that but it just seems like we are collectivity missing the point...

ReputationRep:
    Kids need time to be kids, and later finishing times start to infringe on spare time and family time, which are both important for children.

Besides, if you keep kids in school for even longer, it will start to impact on things like concentration later on in the school day. Increasing the length of the school day is just a stupid idea and there is no need for it.

ReputationRep:
    I already start at 8.30 and finish at 3.30
    Seriously though, children aren't machines. Like the above poster said, they need time for themselves. It's all part of growing up! Just look at the kids in China and Japan.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, at least people can save money on childcare.

The problem is, there is already a massive shortage of teachers due to general mismanagement, unrealistic SLT expectations and poor pay (per hour). All this does, without addressing our teacher training and retention, is further burden an already failing system. Recruitment consultants are licking their lips.

ReputationRep:
    Longer hours for kids is just going to push them away. And teachers arent going to enjoy the longer work hours. They work well into their own time as it is!
    Also, being in year 13 having an extra hour would mean less time for homework, revision, extra curricular activities, a social life and a job. Even if the extra hour is for study, its still a long time. Particularly when some schools (like mine) force us to attend school when i have frees (everyfriday i have no actual lessons). Its forcing kids into a regime that restricts independence.

ReputationRep:
    Will teachers salaries be affected?

ReputationRep:
    Actually wouldn't mind school to have ended later, as long as it started later!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mahmoud X)
    Compared with doctors, investment bankers, rubbish collectors, ohhh it's such a hard job :rolleyes:

diddums lol
    Try being a teacher. I'm sure you wouldn't last one hour in front of a class.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's necessarily bad starting later but apparently it's more beneficial for students to start later in the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Try being a teacher. I'm sure you wouldn't last one hour in front of a class.
    Idiot. You don't need to go through a year of PGCE training to be allowed to comment, that's like saying you should never talk about Christianity unless you are a fully ordained priest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Wow.. School where I live ends at 1:30 :lol:
    Where I live it's 7am until noon! Even better!

Either that or 12-5pm, depending on what year you're in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Where I live it's 7am until noon! Even better!

Either that or 12-5pm, depending on what year you're in.
    Wow only 5 hours?

For us it's 7am til 1:30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Wow only 5 hours?

For us it's 7am til 1:30
    Yeah but you don't get any break, apart from the 5 mins between each period. So total study time is about the same as in the UK.

Kids get way more spare time here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Yeah but you don't get any break, apart from the 5 mins between each period. So total study time is about the same as in the UK.

Kids get way more spare time here!
    Oh wow we have ~50 minutes of break

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.