VAI2007
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Two hours to go! I have to say I am dreading these exams. We have the worst teacher ever and I've had to learn everything on my own and that is a hell of a lot to learn.

I'm not confident about GL3 AT ALL and hopefully GL1 will be okay.

Anyone else taking it?
spamuo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am. GL1 will be ok i think, (although last years was v easy). Gl3 though :confused:
stepheh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooohh!! people doing WJEC geology!!

Well, I did the AS last year, and thought i'd completely crapped the exam up [i can't remember which paper.. the third unit.. I think [i.e. not the practical paper.. The one that has all that crap about aquifer's etc]] but did really well.

So don't worry - i think they tend to mark geology pretty well.
tolley1990
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I just did GL3 and thought it was pretty easy really. Nothing very hard on it!

What did everyone else think?
RevisionIsSoNotFun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I liked GL1...a bit different to the past papers but in a good way I think. GL3 was ok for a GL3.
VAI2007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Well these are the answers I put and can remember:

GL1:

Pillow Lava
Dolertie Dyke
Gabbro

Pillow lavas form when basaltic magma solidifies quickly in contact with water and then inflates as magma continues to pour in.

Then that graph was A was at the bottom and C higher up approx double each time

Then that sedimentation one i put that the further away from the ridge the longer time for deposition of sediment and so it will be thicker.

The Carbon 14 one:

I put for the atmosphere one that carbon is fixated from the atmosphere to living organisms such as the tree.

I put that Carbon 14 has a half life of approx 50000, each half life is when half the parent atoms decay to daughter atoms and so as the fossil gets older there is less Carbon 14 and more Carbon 12.

Then that table I put Yes No No

Yes - Living with Carbon, within acceptable half life
No - Out of time range of half lives
No - Not living no carbon

Fault one:

I put that the slate was formed after pressure was applied to the shale and it was metamorphosed by the pressure applied aligning the minerals to slatey cleavage.

Drew a normal fault, tension, hangingwall, downthrow, scale, Ingleton as location.

Fault thing: South East Downthrow

The metamorphism must of come first as all the shale would of been metamorphosed, the shale is younger and deposited later.

Fossil thing:

Trilobite

Glabella

Brachiopods have symmetry between valves, bivalves has symmetry on one valve. Brachiopods have adductor and diductor muscles, bivalves has adductor and pallial line.

Only hard part preserved as soft part rotted away or was eaten or destroyed.

Death assemblage transported away from original life position.

Bed I was death - broken fragments indicate transportation of bivalves.

Bed II - Life assemblage, full fossils remain, no transportation indicates low energy environment possible rise in sea level.

GL3:

For the two reasons I put: lubrication and liquifaction

Liquifaction caused by the railway vibrations, loss of particle cohesion, en mass movement.

For environment issue I put that water from mines is highly acidic and polutes groundwater - killing animals and plants.

Then the Earthquake thing I put 32 million and I can't remember the rest

I answered 3. And on the second part of 3 about Vaiont Dam.
RevisionIsSoNotFun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I put pretty much the same. Apart from liquefaction, I put that the strata dip steeply.
Gili
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
10 years later, I'm taking it on Monday and ******** myself about it, done very little revision and my teacher is awful too, its a shame we still have to suffer one decade passed and literally nothing has changed about the course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.21%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
27.86%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (104)
37.14%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.21%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.57%

Watched Threads