Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As it's my last year in school before uni, I'm thinking of buying a present for the maths department as a way of saying thanks for all their help over the last 7 years. I'm thinking along the lines of a book, perhaps Newton's Principia Mathematica, but there may be other ideas for gifts that I have thought about. Can anyone else think of anything I can buy. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    A klein bottle?

ReputationRep:
    If the teachers in the dept. are really quite into maths, then a nice hardbacked book on the history of maths would also make a nice gift. Any uni bookshop should sell a decent one.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol! (Both my parents are maths teachers and they like the stuff!) Nah, a book like that would be fine and well thought out.

The Book of Pi <-----Perhaps only for the VERY hardcore maths fans.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, I'd never even heard of a klein bottle! (what about this as an alternative http://www.kleinbottle.com/images/hatbackviewlittle.jpg ?)

Yeah, I think a book might be the best bet. I'm off to have a look on Amazon- thanks to everyone that replied.

ReputationRep:
    I got my 3 maths teachers each a bottle of wine. I think they seemed to like it....

Cant see whats wrong with a book thoy!

ReputationRep:
    ah yes klein bottles are pretty funny. I like the "you only have to wash one side" point. The whole website has some pretty random stuff on it, infact. I first saw that when looking at http://www.dhmo.org

ReputationRep:
    If you have a lady teacher I'm sure she'd love these:-
    cool

ReputationRep:
    `
    (Original post by Trinity Blume)
    If you have a lady teacher I'm sure she'd love these:-
    cool
    That is terrible! who would wear those???

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    `
    That is terrible! who would wear those???

MB
    i was wondering the same thing...
    can u just imagine the look on ur teachers face if you gave them to her...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.scienceteecher.com/miracle_large.jpg

this one's rather fantastic though

ReputationRep:
    we got our maths teachers black ties, we then used tippex to add various maths symbolsm, original but not the greatest idea

ReputationRep:
    We got our maths teachers fun stuff that we knew they'd like, we're all pretty good friends now and so we got them "mugs to reflect their personalities" - they're big coffee drinkers. I didn't even think about getting them a book! Although, it probably would have been a better idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el GaZZa)
    As it's my last year in school before uni, I'm thinking of buying a present for the maths department as a way of saying thanks for all their help over the last 7 years. I'm thinking along the lines of a book, perhaps Newton's Principia Mathematica, but there may be other ideas for gifts that I have thought about. Can anyone else think of anything I can buy. Thanks in advance.
    I bought my favourite maths teacher a book when she left - the Man who Counted by Mabla Tahan, which is really wonderful Klein bottles are brilliant, too

ReputationRep:
    do klein bottles actually hae a use?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    http://www.scienceteecher.com/miracle_large.jpg

this one's rather fantastic though
    Wow! There are some really cool t-shirts on that site! I want the pi one that says "irrational but well rounded" that's gorgeous! And pi earrings look like fun! Are there any british sites you know of that sell similar things? I'd love some mathy clothing (but i would refuse to wear anything with "math" and no s!!!) xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey, some pretty cool ideas here. (And why am I only finding out about the scienceteecher site now?- it's the best one I've seen since moderndrunkardmagazine.com!)

As far as books go, I quite like the idea of a History of Maths book (Principia is heavy reading, and I'd rather it be something for anyone to enjoy rather than just eye-candy). Does anyone know of a specific book in this category that they would recommend, or have had recommended to them? I've got a reading list with a few ideas, in particular Makers of Mathematics by S. Hollingdale. Has anyone ever read this? I'd be grateful for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mussed)
    I bought my favourite maths teacher a book when she left - the Man who Counted by Mabla Tahan, which is really wonderful Klein bottles are brilliant, too
    I've just looked on Amazon for reviews and all ten gave it 5 stars!

ReputationRep:
    give them a antique abacus, make sure it doesnt cost too much though

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.