Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

30 days, fat to fit - Work related goal watch

ReputationRep:
    Heyo,

Would like to get some tips and examples of what exercises I can do to get as fit as I can for a job role that I have lined up. Currently going to be working in a stressful environment that will require/need to be as fit as I can.

Even though I start in a month, I can continue training afterwards however I will have the next 30 days free to exercise, eat right and recover (tons of sleep at home), compared to balancing full time work and do the above.

I have a treadmill at home, however due to prolonged time on the treadmill incline/amount of time that I used to go on it, personally I feel that it does more damage on my knees so looking for different exercises that can burn as much fat as the treadmill.

The goal would be to lose as much fat as I can, see how much I can gain in flexibility and strength training.

Current;
    25>
    Male
    BMI; 33
    Weight; 14 stone
    Height; 5 ft 6

I have access to a full gym so I am not limited to what I train and for how long.

Please help !

Thanks
    Jiraya Sama

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Jiraya!

The first thing to remember is that losing weight is about 60-70% about your diet and it's 100% about a calorie deficit. (I.e. Burn more energy than you put into your body)

Even the most intense exercise will only burn several hundred calories, so factor that into your calculations. It's mostly about what you eat.

That said, being fit is certainly helps and it will help build and strengthen your muscles to give you a good shape and those muscles will burn more calories even when you're doing nothing.

I would personally suggest a heavy lifting program with some interval training of cycling, rowing or swimming in the form of HIIT twice a week. Have a couple of rest days a week and you'll be golden.

WoodyMKC for more info about nutrition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Hi there Jiraya!

The first thing to remember is that losing weight is about 60-70% about your diet and it's 100% about a calorie deficit. (I.e. Burn more energy than you put into your body)

Even the most intense exercise will only burn several hundred calories, so factor that into your calculations. It's mostly about what you eat.

That said, being fit is certainly helps and it will help build and strengthen your muscles to give you a good shape and those muscles will burn more calories even when you're doing nothing.

I would personally suggest a heavy lifting program with some interval training of cycling, rowing or swimming in the form of HIIT twice a week. Have a couple of rest days a week and you'll be golden.

WoodyMKC for more info about nutrition
    Thank you Supersaps for your response.

Yeah I find nutrition/diet the hardest bit of losing weight/exercising. However since I will have 30 days at home, I wont have any excuse/complaints about home cooking.

I need to work out a specific routine to stick to. To try and increase my stamina and strength whilst losing some weight. A platform that I can continue working on whilst I start my new exercise intensive job.

Thanks again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jiraya Sama)
    Thank you Supersaps for your response.

Yeah I find nutrition/diet the hardest bit of losing weight/exercising. However since I will have 30 days at home, I wont have any excuse/complaints about home cooking.

I need to work out a specific routine to stick to. To try and increase my stamina and strength whilst losing some weight. A platform that I can continue working on whilst I start my new exercise intensive job.

Thanks again.
    Starting strength is a good beginner's strength program and has you training 3 times a week. If you wanna throw in some cardio on another couple days a week there's nothing wrong with that, doesn't matter what type of cardio you're doing as long as you're working hard. Cycling is always my choice, easy on the knees

As for nutrition, start here to work out a starting point as to how many calories you should be taking in http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    When you come to the Formula part of the form, choose the Lean Mass formula and enter 40% as the bodyfat % figure (I estimate you're around that based on your weight and height if you don't currently weight train).

At the end you'll be given a calorie target for losing weight and your macronutrients split up for you - I'd suggest sticking to the protein recommendations, but you don't need to fuss over how many carbs and fats you're taking in. As long as you stick to your calorie "budget" and ensure you're getting enough protein, then you'll do fine just getting a fair balance of carbs and fats. No need to eat overly healthy or "clean", though I'd recommend choosing your foods wisely - a Big Mac at 500 calories isn't going to keep you full for very long, whereas a plate of lean steak and vegetables will be a lot more satiating and will generally contain fewer calories too.
    Make sure you weigh things rather than guessing and make a note of how many calories you've had, or alternatively use an app like MyFitnessPal to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Starting strength is a good beginner's strength program and has you training 3 times a day. If you wanna throw in some cardio on another couple days a week there's nothing wrong with that, doesn't matter what type of cardio you're doing as long as you're working hard. Cycling is always my choice, easy on the knees

As for nutrition, start here to work out a starting point as to how many calories you should be taking in http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    When you come to the Formula part of the form, choose the Lean Mass formula and enter 40% as the bodyfat % figure (I estimate you're around that based on your weight and height if you don't currently weight train).

At the end you'll be given a calorie target for losing weight and your macronutrients split up for you - I'd suggest sticking to the protein recommendations, but you don't need to fuss over how many carbs and fats you're taking in. As long as you stick to your calorie "budget" and ensure you're getting enough protein, then you'll do fine just getting a fair balance of carbs and fats. No need to eat overly healthy or "clean", though I'd recommend choosing your foods wisely - a Big Mac at 500 calories isn't going to keep you full for very long, whereas a plate of lean steak and vegetables will be a lot more satiating and will generally contain fewer calories too.
    Make sure you weigh things rather than guessing and make a note of how many calories you've had, or alternatively use an app like MyFitnessPal to help you.
    Starting Strength is 3x a day? I am glad the gym is very close to where I live then. I would rather follow a program compared to not working efficiently when I go to the gym.

Going to try and keep to the diet as best I can.

Not looking for cosmetic changes, however more considered with strength and stamina overall.

Thank you for responding.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jiraya Sama)
    Starting Strength is 3x a day? I am glad the gym is very close to where I live then. I would rather follow a program compared to not working efficiently when I go to the gym.

Going to try and keep to the diet as best I can.

Not looking for cosmetic changes, however more considered with strength and stamina overall.

Thank you for responding.
    Oops, major typo, I meant 3x a week :rofl:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.