Turn on thread page Beta

I am having my wisdom teeth removed next week. Any Advice ? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am having 4 wisdom teeth removed next week due to severe discomfort.

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about the procedure.

Anybody willing to share their story or give some advice ?

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)

Thanks !
    I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out last year. All was good to start with but as the anesthetic gradually wore off things got very painful. I got dry socket in a couple of teeth and the pain was incredible. I had to go back for more painkillers as paracetamol and ibuprofen were doing **** all. I couldn't sleep or talk because of the pain.

Make sure you have enough liquidy or soft foods so you won't need to go to the supermarket. Yogurt, apple sauce, soup, etc.

It took me about ten days before I felt able to deal with everyday life. Make sure you don't have anything important planned for soon after the extraction.

My mouth has completely healed now and the pain that had made me get the teeth removed has gone. I'd say it was definitely worth getting them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Thanks !
    bf had one out a few months ago. His was growing sideways so it was more complicated than it could be and he had it done at hospital cos they were worried they could cause nerve damage if it went wrong cos his root was so close to a major nerve.
    went fine but he wished he hadn't seen the tube taking out his blood and saliva. He was in a fair amount of pain after but was given strong painkillers which helped. Bled for a good while too and had to keep a gauze in for the rest of the day.
    couldn't eat proper food and couldn't drink too well either (it is easier through a straw but don't do it cos it can cause problems with clotting blood etc). I had to cut soft foods up into tiny little pieces for a good few days and he had to eat carefully. He was probably feeling mostly better within a couple of weeks but his stitches annoyed him until they all dissolved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out last year. All was good to start with but as the anesthetic gradually wore off things got very painful. I got dry socket in a couple of teeth and the pain was incredible. I had to go back for more painkillers as paracetamol and ibuprofen were doing **** all. I couldn't sleep or talk because of the pain.

Make sure you have enough liquidy or soft foods so you won't need to go to the supermarket. Yogurt, apple sauce, soup, etc.

It took me about ten days before I felt able to deal with everyday life. Make sure you don't have anything important planned for soon after the extraction.

My mouth has completely healed now and the pain that had made me get the teeth removed has gone. I'd say it was definitely worth getting them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for replying !!! Yeah I have heard of dry socket and it sounds terrible !

I am getting them removed the day after I finish up uni until September so I have plenty of time to heal haha

Yeah my wisdom teeth have been bothering me for months so I would really like to have them removed, but I am just nervous about the after pain.

I am glad that you are fully recovered and are glad to have had the teeth removed !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    bf had one out a few months ago. His was growing sideways so it was more complicated than it could be and he had it done at hospital cos they were worried they could cause nerve damage if it went wrong cos his root was so close to a major nerve.
    went fine but he wished he hadn't seen the tube taking out his blood and saliva. He was in a fair amount of pain after but was given strong painkillers which helped. Bled for a good while too and had to keep a gauze in for the rest of the day.
    couldn't eat proper food and couldn't drink too well either (it is easier through a straw but don't do it cos it can cause problems with clotting blood etc). I had to cut soft foods up into tiny little pieces for a good few days and he had to eat carefully. He was probably feeling mostly better within a couple of weeks but his stitches annoyed him until they all dissolved.
    I think I am lucky as I can apparently have them removed at my local dentists and so don't need stitches either.

I will make sure that I stock up on plenty of ice cream and soup so that I don't have to chew anything.

Thanks for the advice !

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy solid food before the procedure. It won't hurt if you're on anaesthetics BUT the pain after will be unbearable if you don't have the ibuprofen ready! (Will still hurt with it though) you'll get through it though so don't worry too much lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think I am lucky as I can apparently have them removed at my local dentists and so don't need stitches either.

I will make sure that I stock up on plenty of ice cream and soup so that I don't have to chew anything.

Thanks for the advice !
    I wouldn't suggest hot or cold foods as you will be very sensitive to temperature so I'd avoid ice cream for a while. Try angel delight or jelly

Sounds like you'll be fine even though having 4 out at once will be a massive pain. Hopefully since you won't need stitches or anything you will heal quicker.

Just be sure to check what they say about after care (bf had a pretty in depth list of dos and dont's for the first few days) and ask if you have any questions or concerns. If they are not giving you painkillers then be sure to stock up and ask what the best type would be. Oh and stay hydrated and as well fed as possible. It's easy to forget that when you're feeling unwell.

Good luck. At least you'll stop having the discomfort you have now once you've recovered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I wouldn't suggest hot or cold foods as you will be very sensitive to temperature so I'd avoid ice cream for a while. Try angel delight or jelly

Sounds like you'll be fine even though having 4 out at once will be a massive pain. Hopefully since you won't need stitches or anything you will heal quicker.

Just be sure to check what they say about after care (bf had a pretty in depth list of dos and dont's for the first few days) and ask if you have any questions or concerns. If they are not giving you painkillers then be sure to stock up and ask what the best type would be. Oh and stay hydrated and as well fed as possible. It's easy to forget that when you're feeling unwell.

Good luck. At least you'll stop having the discomfort you have now once you've recovered.
    I love custard so I will buy that instead. Yeah I am dreading the pain but hopefully it will be worth it after the recovery stage is over ! Thanks for the useful tips !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mjcal1)
    Enjoy solid food before the procedure. It won't hurt if you're on anaesthetics BUT the pain after will be unbearable if you don't have the ibuprofen ready! (Will still hurt with it though) you'll get through it though so don't worry too much lol
    I think I have some ibuprofen downstairs so I will make sure to take that during my recovery.

Thanks for the useful advice !

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I'd call that lucky!

I had mine taken out under IV sedation - basically I could respond to the doc but remembered nothing afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'm not sure I'd call that lucky!

I had mine taken out under IV sedation - basically I could respond to the doc but remembered nothing afterwards.
    Haha it certainly could be worse though

I thought that I would have to have mine removed under IV sedation but apparently numbing injections will be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.