Turn on thread page Beta

Missing education. watch

ReputationRep:
    So due to mental health issues, I'm missing about 1 day a week in school. Because it's so close to exams, stress is taking over leading to me finding it hard to leave the house.. I just need to seek reassurance/help/what to do?? thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Exams are not as urgent and important as we always think when they are looming. Take a step back and consider how your your health and studying weigh up.

It is possible that stress levels will only increase as you get closer to the exams and it will just grow unbearable. Orrrrr as you start to revise more, the knowledge will begin falling into place and you will feel you have more control over the whole situation.

If you need to, drop a few exams for now or even drop them all. I did my A levels over three years rather that two and when i made the decision i felt so awful like i had failed myself and would forever be behind everyone else because im just not good enough.... Buuuut i can honestly say now that it was the best decision for my health and it hasnt actually hindered me at all in the ways i thought it would. Good luck with however you tackle everything!

(Original post by Bekah22)
    Exams are not as urgent and important as we always think when they are looming. Take a step back and consider how your your health and studying weigh up.

It is possible that stress levels will only increase as you get closer to the exams and it will just grow unbearable. Orrrrr as you start to revise more, the knowledge will begin falling into place and you will feel you have more control over the whole situation.

If you need to, drop a few exams for now or even drop them all. I did my A levels over three years rather that two and when i made the decision i felt so awful like i had failed myself and would forever be behind everyone else because im just not good enough.... Buuuut i can honestly say now that it was the best decision for my health and it hasnt actually hindered me at all in the ways i thought it would. Good luck with however you tackle everything!
    Thank-you so much this helped massively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekah22)

Thank you so so much, this helped a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the best thing is to get into school more/as much as possible. The more you miss, the more you will continue to miss and the harder it will be to get back into full time education. It sets a bad precedent going forwards in your life. It is also likely to lead to you getting more stressed and falling further behind rather than actually helping.

Aside from that, try and show willing at school by attending any extra sessions on days you do get in and make sure you're asking teachers about work you've missed so you can catch it up.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Go and see your GP. If you find it hard to leave the house, then that wont stop you studying at home. theres a point where stress becomes welf fulfiling. Work hard get it under control and the stress becomes more manageable. Work in conjunction wth your teachers am get yourself organised. the exams are coming whether you are stressed or not so all you have to do is agree to try your best and be organised to make best use of your time. you cna be stressed after the exams but now you have too much to do, so you cna be at your best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Obviously the best thing is to get into school more/as much as possible. The more you miss, the more you will continue to miss and the harder it will be to get back into full time education. It sets a bad precedent going forwards in your life. It is also likely to lead to you getting more stressed and falling further behind rather than actually helping.

Aside from that, try and show willing at school by attending any extra sessions on days you do get in and make sure you're asking teachers about work you've missed so you can catch it up.
    Thank-you, I'll be getting ready and something happens, I can't do anything and I just breakdown and there is no chance of me going, I don't know why this happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Go and see your GP. If you find it hard to leave the house, then that wont stop you studying at home. theres a point where stress becomes welf fulfiling. Work hard get it under control and the stress becomes more manageable. Work in conjunction wth your teachers am get yourself organised. the exams are coming whether you are stressed or not so all you have to do is agree to try your best and be organised to make best use of your time. you cna be stressed after the exams but now you have too much to do, so you cna be at your best.
    This is so true, thank-you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demonslayer)
    Thank-you, I'll be getting ready and something happens, I can't do anything and I just breakdown and there is no chance of me going, I don't know why this happens.
    panic attack type things?

it's really not unusual at all to be feeling that, especially at this time of year! but as I said, the more you give in the worse it gets, perhaps you could try and start challenging yourself to go in at lunch on those days and ten when that is feeling better you can try and go in at break and so on... or have a plan with your school that you can work somewhere quietly alone if you go in and things get too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    panic attack type things?

it's really not unusual at all to be feeling that, especially at this time of year! but as I said, the more you give in the worse it gets, perhaps you could try and start challenging yourself to go in at lunch on those days and ten when that is feeling better you can try and go in at break and so on... or have a plan with your school that you can work somewhere quietly alone if you go in and things get too much.
    Yeah, thats sounds like a great idea. My school knows about the issues and I do have a place to go to, yet I always feel embarrassed? But this is so helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats sounds like a great idea. My school knows about the issues and I do have a place to go to, yet I always feel embarrassed? But this is so helpful!
    yeah, I had similar difficulties at school but honestly it is not a big deal and if you start to use that provision you'll see! good luck other advice is true as well, so much pressure is put on for GCSEs and to be honest, yes, of course you should do the best you can, but as long as you get what you need to progress it isn't going to affect your whole life

ReputationRep:
    Do you get more work done at home?

(Original post by Legendary Quest)
    No, I'm just in bed the whole day...

ReputationRep:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I dont know what the issue is, but you just have to be sensible about it, manage it and not let let control you.
    People will help you as long as you talk to them, You cna help yourself by taking small sensible steps to reduce the stress .

Then you have to sort out letting it paralyse you.

Do you want exam success? Do soemthing now before it starts to have a eal effect. Staying in bed is not an option. Study at home send it in by email if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    oh then you just need to find some sort of motivation to get out of bed. Start slowly. Maybe one day you just get out of bed, have breakfast, relax. Then next time, after breakfast you can read a book. Then another day, you slowly get yourself to start studying. Maybe make revision posters or flash cards. Missing school is by no means good but if you are doing work at home and catching up on anything you are missing then you may find that you feel a little bit better. Gradually, you may find that you are able to go to school more and more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I dont know what the issue is, but you just have to be sensible about it, manage it and not let let control you.
    People will help you as long as you talk to them, You cna help yourself by taking small sensible steps to reduce the stress .

Then you have to sort out letting it paralyse you.

Do you want exam success? Do soemthing now before it starts to have a eal effect. Staying in bed is not an option. Study at home send it in by email if you have to.
    Thank-you.

ReputationRep:
    oh then you just need to find some sort of motivation to get out of bed. Start slowly. Maybe one day you just get out of bed, have breakfast, relax. Then next time, after breakfast you can read a book. Then another day, you slowly get yourself to start studying. Maybe make revision posters or flash cards. Missing school is by no means good but if you are doing work at home and catching up on anything you are missing then you may find that you feel a little bit better. Gradually, you may find that you are able to go to school more and more.
    Thank-you for your help, I will try this

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you for your help, I will try this
    Good luck. Always remember that your health always comes first

Good luck. Always remember that your health always comes first
    Thank you 100% agree.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.