Turn on thread page Beta

16 & Unhappy in my friendship group watch

ReputationRep:
    Miserable in my friendship group
    So basically in sixth form yr 12 and I really want better friends. My group is what you would call "odd" or "nerds". They are all Asian and not Allowed out at weekends but I wouldn't want to hang out with them anyway. But it means I have no social life. My parents worry bout me.
    At lunch we sit in the computer room not talking. I always have to start the convo, its v annoying. Today one friend yelled my head off coz I took one chip from her she's such a *****!
    I want to move friendship group but I'm v shy and would feel awakward if I went to a random goup and asked to eat lunch with them. So I'm stuck in an unhappy friendship I'm unhappy.
    Btw i consider myself the " normal" one of the group. So I could find friends I think, but I am too shy to approach anyone.
    Soz for rambling, any advice appreciated!
    Thanks Kit xxx

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone you talk to during lessons? To be fair, I only really had one close friend who I used to hang out with and that was fine. If you really don't like them then just don't hang out with them...go do you work during your free time or just hang out with some other people. Trust me...friends are the least of your concern during your A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    What about the people you sit next to in classes? People in after school clubs? You could just smile and work your way up to talking to someone. But to be honest unless you come up to someone they probably won't realise you want to be friends because everyone's a bit shy. If it's because you're scared what's the worst that could happen? How would you react if someone came up to you? Most of the time people are really nice and are flattered someone came up to talk to them. You could find people sitting alone if you find it easier or just say hi and join a big group if you know someone there. All you have to do is introduce yourself and smile, maybe at the start of your classes or something. If you talk to no one you won't become friends with them as they won't know you. You don't have to talk for a long time or anything, just your name or give them a compliment or ask a question about something. Basically if you want friends you'll have to at least talk to them, so you'll have to try to approach someone, and I know that's hard, but people aren't really as mean as they seem.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inkyface)
    What about the people you sit next to in classes? People in after school clubs? You could just smile and work your way up to talking to someone. But to be honest unless you come up to someone they probably won't realise you want to be friends because everyone's a bit shy. If it's because you're scared what's the worst that could happen? How would you react if someone came up to you? Most of the time people are really nice and are flattered someone came up to talk to them. You could find people sitting alone if you find it easier or just say hi and join a big group if you know someone there. All you have to do is introduce yourself and smile, maybe at the start of your classes or something. If you talk to no one you won't become friends with them as they won't know you. You don't have to talk for a long time or anything, just your name or give them a compliment or ask a question about something. Basically if you want friends you'll have to at least talk to them, so you'll have to try to approach someone, and I know that's hard, but people aren't really as mean as they seem.
    Good luck
    Thanks for the advise fully appreicated. Things is I can talk to ppl but im scared of going from aquaitances chatting in class to hanging around them all the time. Theyre friendship groups seem to be fully formed already. I need to grow a pair i know but i dont wanna be known as the desperate girl who annoys every1 and intrudes in convos😲

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubcub99)
    Thanks for the advise fully appreicated. Things is I can talk to ppl but im scared of going from aquaitances chatting in class to hanging around them all the time. Theyre friendship groups seem to be fully formed already. I need to grow a pair i know but i dont wanna be known as the desperate girl who annoys every1 and intrudes in convos😲
    oh yeah i get that. i guess you could just gradually integrate yourself into the group and just like slowly slyther in that's kind of a hard position though, and to be honest i really don't know how to help. It's still possible to get friends though definetly. It might just take a while to warm up but if they seem to be enjoying your company then you should definetly go for it. I think the kind of "desperate girl" thing comes from when people come on too strong if that makes sense and expect people to act with them like they do with their other best friend of like three years. But you seem like you're not oblivious or anything so i don't think you'd make them uncomfortable. I mean a new friend just joined my best friend and me about a month ago and she's pretty cool. I mean it was pretty awkward at first but then like we started opening up and it was fine so you definetly can. Just pay attention to body language and stuff you know if they're acting a bit awkward it's ok but if you get like the full on *****y vibes don't waste your time and find someone else because that's not going to be fun. I know this is kind of corny but smiles are really comforting and stuff if you don't know what to say, but you know don't act mental about it obvs :P You can do dis I believe in u :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to other people.

Crazy, I know. Who would've thought of that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.