Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Celebrity deaths should not cause public mourning watch

ReputationRep:
    the worst was when princess Diana died people like to cannonise people especially 'celebrities'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    A few points here.

I didn't say no one had the right to "Mourn" of course it is a right, as you said, I wanted some perspective. I was invited to a pub to watch Lemmy's funeral. Surely that's a step, or many, too far?

Regarding the people we choose to idolise, (any idolisation is problematic) I completely agree. Art brings us much, including popular art, but you do wish the attention was spread across other fields.

The Internet is not best suited to grown up discourse. People read what they want in a quote or opinion and argue that. Nuance is lost and received wisdoms entrenched. Add to that an army of trolls and hateful keyboard warriors and it just becomes unpleasant and pointless. It is hugely refreshing to receive a message such as yours as a result.
    Haha, thanks! I don't see any rudeness on your part, and, I think you handled it quite maturely. Also, if I may say so, you're quite eloquent, which shows that you're not utterly uninformed.

Yeah, I think watching funerals the way people watch the oscars, or a football game, is wrong. I actually do feel like the solemnity is lost the moment it goes on the internet. A common trend I see in people nowadays is just sharing pictures of these artists and, mourning them, whereas they don't know anything about them. I know of people who just try to show their 'vintageness' and 'I'm a rebel, don't fall under the social norms of Justin Bieber and 1d'

Yeah, probably not going debate, the internet space is probably not a space you want to share opinions, because, most of the time you do get hate, no matter what the opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    the worst was when princess Diana died people like to cannonise people especially 'celebrities'
    Yeah it seems as if that was the point where it all went wrong and you can't blame the Internet for once. We can blame Elton John and Tony Blair though.

ReputationRep:
    They are only flying too close to the sun 🎤

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    Haha, thanks! I don't see any rudeness on your part, and, I think you handled it quite maturely. Also, if I may say so, you're quite eloquent, which shows that you're not utterly uninformed.

Yeah, I think watching funerals the way people watch the oscars, or a football game, is wrong. I actually do feel like the solemnity is lost the moment it goes on the internet. A common trend I see in people nowadays is just sharing pictures of these artists and, mourning them, whereas they don't know anything about them. I know of people who just try to show their 'vintageness' and 'I'm a rebel, don't fall under the social norms of Justin Bieber and 1d'

Yeah, probably not going debate, the internet space is probably not a space you want to share opinions, because, most of the time you do get hate, no matter what the opinion.
    Thank you! It's nice someone gets the point after 2 hours of **** flinging

I wholeheartedly agree with you, including the part about loss. the thing about genuine grief is it doesn't typically lead to public expressions of it.

Loss, on the other hand, is something I felt, particularly after Bowie died, and I resented the forced nature of the reaction as a result.

Just my personal view, I wasn't calling for legislation or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Thank you! It's nice someone gets the point after 2 hours of **** flinging

I wholeheartedly agree with you, including the part about loss. the thing about genuine grief is it doesn't typically lead to public expressions of it.

Loss, on the other hand, is something I felt, particularly after Bowie died, and I resented the forced nature of the reaction as a result.

Just my personal view, I wasn't calling for legislation or anything
    No, i understand. Your reaction makes sense. Sometimes, when you lose someone dear, it's not about bawling your eyes out in public, but crying yourself to sleep, alone, in your room.

That analogy shows that, just because you don't share a post of David Bowie passing away, or write enormous tributes for him, doesn't mean you don't care.

I absolutely hate it, when later, you're talking about him in person with a friend, and the 'friend' sort of looks at you, in this condescending way "you didn't even share his music, or news of his death, which means I'm a bigger fan than you are, or, I love him music more" That's the WORST. How dare you judge my feelings, and my love for an artists and his music based on how actively I share his work?! His work is personal, what the hell do you know?

I mourn alone, and I think it's best not to sensationalise news of someone passing away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    No, i understand. Your reaction makes sense. Sometimes, when you lose someone dear, it's not about bawling your eyes out in public, but crying yourself to sleep, alone, in your room.

That analogy shows that, just because you don't share a post of David Bowie passing away, or write enormous tributes for him, doesn't mean you don't care.

I absolutely hate it, when later, you're talking about him in person with a friend, and the 'friend' sort of looks at you, in this condescending way "you didn't even share his music, or news of his death, which means I'm a bigger fan than you are, or, I love him music more" That's the WORST. How dare you judge my feelings, and my love for an artists and his music based on how actively I share his work?! His work is personal, what the hell do you know?

I mourn alone, and I think it's best not to sensationalise news of someone passing away.
    Yes, it's all a performance and is all about them. You can also tell that's the case because the things they say about the dead are always the same. How is honouring someone by ascribing the same qualities to every one of them?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.