Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    i am applying for student finance 2016-2017 as my first year of uni.
    my mum recieved a letter saying she need to provide evidence of my brother to prove that he is financially dependents on my parents.
    My brother is over 18 is on his last year of A-levels , he will be finishing school this summer, and will apply to uni for 2017 starts so will not be in education for year 2016-2017. meanwhile during the year before he starts uni in 2017 - he will only be working part time - if he can find a job.

    what evidence should we provide to student finance to show that my brother is still financially dependents on my parents?

    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi erica199

    If your brother is over 18 and in education, your parents could send a child tax credits letter.
    Usually a child dependent would be wholly financially dependent on the sponsor, once someone gets to 18 they may be able to fund themselves through work/benefits. In this instance they would no longer be financially dependent.



students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.