Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So my situation is basically I am a BEng ChemEng student at an RG Uni who is going to graduate with a very low 2.2 (50-52%)! I won't go into detail explaining how I got into this situation because I'm sure you've heard it all already. I also have no work experience so I feel sort of hopeless. Anyone who knows about the jobmarket have any advice for me ? Atm all I can see myself doing is stacking shelves and its frustrating me! Is there even any hope for me to do anything with that degree or should I just consider studying something else all over again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thechillyone)
    Hi,
    So my situation is basically I am a BEng ChemEng student at an RG Uni who is going to graduate with a very low 2.2 (50-52%)! I won't go into detail explaining how I got into this situation because I'm sure you've heard it all already. I also have no work experience so I feel sort of hopeless. Anyone who knows about the jobmarket have any advice for me ? Atm all I can see myself doing is stacking shelves and its frustrating me! Is there even any hope for me to do anything with that degree or should I just consider studying something else all over again?
    Hey don't be too down. My son got a 2.2 from a RG too - in physics.

At the end of the day you have a science degree. Why don't you try teaching - my son has done it and has done phenomenally well. He will never be unemployed and teaching is highly respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Hey don't be too down. My son got a 2.2 from a RG too - in physics.

At the end of the day you have a science degree. Why don't you try teaching - my son has done it and has done phenomenally well. He will never be unemployed and teaching is highly respected.
    Hi,
    Congratulations to your son i really hope I end up sorting my life out after this!

I've looked into teaching and unfortunately I don't think it is for me and I don't think it's be fair to my prospective students to pick teaching as a 'last resort'. I wish I could still go into engineering because that is what i am passionate about but unfortunately I am aware that it may be unlikely in my current situation.

It's strange how you can spend years of your life working hard towards goal just to make a few mistakes at the very last hurdle and be essentially set back to where you started

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Congratulations to your son i really hope I end up sorting my life out after this!

I've looked into teaching and unfortunately I don't think it is for me and I don't think it's be fair to my prospective students to pick teaching as a 'last resort'. I wish I could still go into engineering because that is what i am passionate about but unfortunately I am aware that it may be unlikely in my current situation.

It's strange how you can spend years of your life working hard towards goal just to make a few mistakes at the very last hurdle and be essentially set back to where you started
    No don't think like that.

Teach in a private school - great kids great parents - embrace your degree - people look differently at you when you are a teacher
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi,

Have you actually tried looking at and applying for jobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Have you actually tried looking at and applying for jobs?
    I have applied to Doosan Babcock and Tata Steel but no reply from either....everything else asks for a 2.1
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I have applied to Doosan Babcock and Tata Steel but no reply from either....everything else asks for a 2.1
    No reply yet does not equate to a rejection.

When browsing Gradcracker recently I was surprised to see the amount of positions open to applicants with a 2:2.

Try directly approaching companies and networking. You don't have to just apply to vacancies you see advertised. Google the "hidden jobs market".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No reply yet does not equate to a rejection.

When browsing Gradcracker recently I was surprised to see the amount of positions open to applicants with a 2:2.

Try directly approaching companies and networking. You don't have to just apply to vacancies you see advertised. Google the "hidden jobs market".
    Interesting! I will have a look right away thank you very much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.