Unfortunately, dearest Mayhem is a member of TSR Conservatives #Starcrossed
    right wing baby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Don't worry, it changes at A Level :-)
    well thank the lords for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    How do you feel having practically bought your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everybody pays taxes that keeps the education system running in the UK, so essentially parents of state school kids are 'buying' their education too...

ReputationRep:
    How did you get your scholarship?
    What are the lessons like - are the class sizes small or large and do the teachers push you and give you loads of work?
    Do you follow the national curriculum and have to do subjects like PSHE, PE, Music, Drama and Dance?
    Is the school an "exam factory" or do your teachers encourage and challenge you to research around the subjects?
    When does your "school day" start and end?
    Do some people take their exams earlier than you do at state schools?
    Sorry for all the questions - I've been fascinated by private schools and always wanted to go to one.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by AJP98)
    A little bit, I end up ringing their school kicking off a lot as they don't offer them the best options sometimes x
    Fair enough. Do you think private education has/will give you a significant advantage?

And also, is AJP a reference to the esteemed historian AJP Taylor or is it random?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    right wing baby
    triggered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Fair enough. Do you think private education has/will give you a significant advantage?

And also, is AJP a reference to the esteemed historian AJP Taylor or is it random?
    I do, yes, if nothing else, just for the accent:')
    I wish it were that cool, it's just my initials

ReputationRep:
    Do you sense that you get quite a few more opportunities than state school pupils (in your area, for example just for comparison)? I'm talking about respected guest speakers, university admissions tests tuition, and holding easier access to numerous contacts in professional fields (perhaps for work experience) such as (for example) medicine, politics etc.

i.e do you think you're getting your moneys worth if you were paying fees?

Soz for the lengthy description, it's just for clarity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJP98)
    It's not all hogwarts, no.
    I'm also a boarder in an all girls, multinational house, if anyone is curious to what that's like.
    Are private school people very different from state school people? The way they behave and stuff? Don't you miss being with other 'state school' people?
    How did you get your place by the way?

ReputationRep:
    How often do you/can you eat? Are there snacks between lessons or is it a strict Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner regime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NT226)
    How did you get your scholarship?
    What are the lessons like - are the class sizes small or large and do the teachers push you and give you loads of work?
    Do you follow the national curriculum and have to do subjects like PSHE, PE, Music, Drama and Dance?
    Is the school an "exam factory" or do your teachers encourage and challenge you to research around the subjects?
    When does your "school day" start and end?
    Do some people take their exams earlier than you do at state schools?
    Sorry for all the questions - I've been fascinated by private schools and always wanted to go to one.
    My biggest class is 6, and my biggest class at GCSE was 15, and my teachers are incredible, I love my english teacher like a member of family, but some subjects have awful teachers.
    Yes, but we can pick our own exam boards, and yes we do all of those subjects except for Dance.
    Nope, like I said it depends on subject, so my teachers encourage wider reading and extra knowledge, other subject are all about the exam.
    8.20 is chapel, and 5.10 is end of the day
    Yes, Maths is taken a year early, and most languages can be taken early, e.g. Welsh, as it's not offered as a subject for any year group, so those who speak it fluently outside of school can take second language GCSE in year 9
    No worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afro Tail)
    How often do you/can you eat? Are there snacks between lessons or is it a strict Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner regime?
    Pretty strict, but with snack at morning break, which is always given up for lent
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by AJP98)
    I do, yes, if nothing else, just for the accent:'
    I wish it were that cool, it's just my initials
    :laugh:

Ah well, at least you share initials with one of the greatest British historians of recent times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBFP)
    Are private school people very different from state school people? The way they behave and stuff? Don't you miss being with other 'state school' people?
    How did you get your place by the way?
    Yes! Very different, it's a mix of good and bad. Private school kids are often, dare I say a bit more mature, and things like that, but then state kids are normally a bit more fun. Nope:')
    Initial series of exams, interviews and then keeping up the grades for a few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJP98)
    Very much agreed! I love boarding, it's amazing, and I wish I'd had the friendships people make in state schools (more people etc) and I wish I was around the less capitalistic, right-wing-ness of private, but I do like my school alot
    And here I am wishing I had went to some prestigious all-boys school. If only my parents could've afforded it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    :laugh:

Ah well, at least you share initials with one of the greatest British historians of recent times.
    Woohoooo:'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    Do you sense that you get quite a few more opportunities than state school pupils (in your area, for example just for comparison)? I'm talking about respected guest speakers, university admissions tests tuition, and holding easier access to numerous contacts in professional fields (perhaps for work experience) such as (for example) medicine, politics etc.

Yes, we definitely get a lot more of that, but political speakers are largely right-wingers, and a lot of the uni days are oxbridge/for show...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    And here I am wishing I had went to some prestigious all-boys school. If only my parents could've afforded it.
    Nahh, it has it's downsides

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJP98)
    Yes! Very different, it's a mix of good and bad. Private school kids are often, dare I say a bit more mature, and things like that, but then state kids are normally a bit more fun. Nope:'
    Initial series of exams, interviews and then keeping up the grades for a few years
    What do private school people think of state school people?
    Do you think you would have been able to achieve what you've achieved in any school?
    Haven't you gone past your bedtime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)

I have attended a private school for 11/13 years of my school life, so i feel like I can answer your question.

I would definitely say that I have received more opportunities than my similarly aged cousins who attended the state school that was my local comp.

We had special classes for the oxbridge candidates, and the medicine applicants received after school tutoring for UKCAT and interview techniques.

In terms of guest speakers, we had celebrities, people from the vatican, and renowned authors etc come and give speeches at our annual prize giving and monthly lectures.

When considering work experience, our school has a tight alumni network and many pupils were able to work in Singapore, Madrid, New York etc hosted by old pupils and parents within the school.

School trips were also more exotic than my cousins' school, as we were able to travel to South Africa, New York, Italy, and New Zealand to name a few.

My parents place education as the highest priority in their life and have always wanted the best for myself and my siblings, and they personally are very glad that they invested in our futures by sending us to private schools.

P.s. no hate towards the local schools as I would have been just as grateful if they had sent me to school with my cousins.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.