Turn on thread page Beta

Private school kid - AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBFP)
    What do private school people think of state school people?
    Do you think you would have been able to achieve what you've achieved in any school?
    Haven't you gone past your bedtime?
    I shouldn't say:')
    Probably not if I'm honest!
    I have indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    I have attended a private school for 11/13 years of my school life, so i feel like I can answer your question.

I would definitely say that I have received more opportunities than my similarly aged cousins who attended the state school that was my local comp.

We had special classes for the oxbridge candidates, and the medicine applicants received after school tutoring for UKCAT and interview techniques.

In terms of guest speakers, we had celebrities, people from the vatican, and renowned authors etc come and give speeches at our annual prize giving and monthly lectures.

When considering work experience, our school has a tight alumni network and many pupils were able to work in Singapore, Madrid, New York etc hosted by old pupils and parents within the school.

School trips were also more exotic than my cousins' school, as we were able to travel to South Africa, New York, Italy, and New Zealand to name a few.

My parents place education as the highest priority in their life and have always wanted the best for myself and my siblings, and they personally are very glad that they invested in our futures by sending us to private schools.

P.s. no hate towards the local schools as I would have been just as grateful if they had sent me to school with my cousins.
    I really appreciate your reply, this is very interesting!

Looking back, I would have really liked to go to a private school (preferably via scholarship if I qualify!) those opportunities are pretty awesome. I completely agree with your parents, it's understandable for a parent to have that attitude - I would equally invest well in my kid's education.

I mean, my comprehensive I went to isn't bad my any means, if fact I think it's quite good (and I appreciate that!) compared to the other schools in my area, but I think it's those extra things you've talked about which are special (and can make a significant difference to the future of a student)!

The one thing that has bugged me over the last two years was getting work experience and expert advice for my medical school application (don't come from the professional background, or have close contacts) and admissions test prep. So that's why I was curious as to whether privately educated students have that slight advantage.

Anyway all that's (just) over now so it's cool haha!

Grab those opportunities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NT226)
    How did you get your scholarship?
    What are the lessons like - are the class sizes small or large and do the teachers push you and give you loads of work?
    Do you follow the national curriculum and have to do subjects like PSHE, PE, Music, Drama and Dance?
    Is the school an "exam factory" or do your teachers encourage and challenge you to research around the subjects?
    When does your "school day" start and end?
    Do some people take their exams earlier than you do at state schools?
    Sorry for all the questions - I've been fascinated by private schools and always wanted to go to one.
    I went to a private school too (although in Scotland), and I always find it so interesting what other people think it is like.

Firstly, my parents paid for my education as scholarships are really tight at my school.
    Class sizes are bigger at my school, usually about 20 in a class, slightly bigger for English, RE and Maths. Once you get to Advanced Higher they get much smaller, as my Advanced Higher Latin class was made of 2 people and my AH Art class was 4.
    Subjects - we are taught RE, in fact it was compulsory in my school to sit GCSE RE even although we were a Scottish School. Yes we were taught PE, Music and Drama, but not dance. Subjects like home economics and wood work are not taught, it is mostly your core traditional subjects like history, the sciences, latin etc.
    Exams - obviously private schools are essentially businesses and so they want fantastic grades to promote the school, my teachers were always very encouraging and promoted creativity and thinking outside the box.
    School Day, 8.55 - 3.35, however on Games Days it was 4.30 (the girls played hockey and the boys played rugby)
    Yes there are many people who take exams earlier. I took my latin exam 1 year earlier and sat computing 2 years earlier. there was a boy in my brother's year (3 years younger then me) who sat Advanced Highers in Greek and Maths at the same time that I did. We were also allowed to 'crash' subject like every other school like I crashed modern studies in 5th year and crashed AH Art and classical studies in 6th year.

Hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    I really appreciate your reply, this is very interesting!

Looking back, I would have really liked to go to a private school (preferably via scholarship if I qualify!) those opportunities are pretty awesome. I completely agree with your parents, it's understandable for a parent to have that attitude - I would equally invest well in my kid's education.

I mean, my comprehensive I went to isn't bad my any means, if fact I think it's quite good (and I appreciate that!) compared to the other schools in my area, but I think it's those extra things you've talked about which are special (and can make a significant difference to the future of a student)!

The one thing that has bugged me over the last two years was getting work experience and expert advice for my medical school application (don't come from a medical background, or have close contacts) - and help with that damn UKCAT! So that's why I was curious as to whether privately educated students have that slight advantage.

Anyway all that's (just) over now so it's cool haha!

Grab those opportunities!
    No its really cool that you are so interested as most people hold quite a negative opinion about private school kids (in some cases justified) and so are not open to hearing about the differences between the schooling systems.

My local school got quite a bad reputation with usually quite shocking exam results, so my parents didn't want to risk my education and future so they saved really hard to make sure they could send us to another school.
    My cousins as i said went to what would have been my high school if I didn't transfer into the private school system, and they have amounted to much in life (they have not went on to higher education and have had children by accident at a young age. Obviously their school isn't entirely at fault there but it did contribute to a certain extent.

My parents have always said that if they lived in a catchment area with a really good school then they wouldn't have spent the money on a private school education. So that might be something to note.

Yes the medicine applicants at our school were always favoured above the rest and received lots of help when applying. I was applying for Law at the time (and so had to prepare for the LNAT) but did not receive anything near the same level of attention as my med applicant peers.

ReputationRep:
    No its really cool that you are so interested as most people hold quite a negative opinion about private school kids (in some cases justified) and so are not open to hearing about the differences between the schooling systems.

My local school got quite a bad reputation with usually quite shocking exam results, so my parents didn't want to risk my education and future so they saved really hard to make sure they could send us to another school.
    My cousins as i said went to what would have been my high school if I didn't transfer into the private school system, and they have amounted to much in life (they have not went on to higher education and have had children by accident at a young age. Obviously their school isn't entirely at fault there but it did contribute to a certain extent.

My parents have always said that if they lived in a catchment area with a really good school then they wouldn't have spent the money on a private school education. So that might be something to note.

Yes the medicine applicants at our school were always favoured above the rest and received lots of help when applying. I was applying for Law at the time (and so had to prepare for the LNAT) but did not receive anything near the same level of attention as my med applicant peers.
    I see, the caution from your parents was probably for the better. And yeah there are many great comprehensives and selective grammars which are becoming very popular.

Yes, I suppose it's just because of the sheer volume of applicants/popularity of medicine - I've heard the LNAT is pretty hard, hopefully future students will get a bit more help with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDB1826)
    I see, the caution from your parents was probably for the better. And yeah there are many great comprehensives and selective grammars which are becoming very popular.

Yes, I suppose it's just because of the sheer volume of applicants/popularity of medicine - I've heard the LNAT is pretty hard, hopefully future students will get a bit more help with that
    Yeah I am glad that I went to my school as I met some of my best friends who I would not be without today !

Good luck with your medicine application. I no longer have to worry about my LNAT as I am currently in second year of law school at my top choice

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am glad that I went to my school as I met some of my best friends who I would not be without today !

Good luck with your medicine application. I no longer have to worry about my LNAT as I am currently in second year of law school at my top choice
    Fortunately managed to get offers on the second application (in the last week in fact haha) - phew!

That's brilliant, good luck with the rest of the course!

ReputationRep:
    What are the fees at your school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJP98)
    It's not all hogwarts, no.
    I'm also a boarder in an all girls, multinational house, if anyone is curious to what that's like.
    I thought most kids were privately educated these days ...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.