Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Sorry to interrupt the exam discussion, but I'm finally done with my A-level Chemistry and I feel like I'm quite possibly going to be getting my target grade.

A big thank you to samb1234, Don Pedro K., sabahshahed294, C0balt and everyone on this thread for all the help!

Best of luck with other exams and until results!
    No problem! Glad to help! IA you will! And I wish you and everyone else here best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-anonymous-me)
    Add minimum hot solvent
    minimum so crystals form

Hot filtration
    to remove insoluble impurities

Cool the filtrate so crystals can form

Filter crystals through Buchner funnel then wash on filter paper using cold solvent
    to remove soluble impurities

Dry in desiccator or oven
    to remove water
    Desiccator is better for substnaces with low melting points or substances that decompose on heating
    Glad you explained it a 5 marker came up on it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crespo0008)
    Do you remember your method?
    I found the moles of Ce4+, it was a 2:1 ratio with 4-aminophenol, that's a 1:1 ratio with paracetamol but it's in 20cm^3 so to multiply it up tp 100cm^3 i multiplied it by 5. Then I used the mr of paracetamol which was 150 and multiplied it by the moles to get a mass of like 0.4something and i divided that by 0.5 x100 to get percentage by mass. Don't know if this is entirely the right method but got the same answer as most of my peers.

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial markscheme or has anyone got the paper??
    (Original post by Pocapoca)
    I found the moles of Ce4+, it was a 2:1 ratio with 4-aminophenol, that's a 1:1 ratio with paracetamol but it's in 20cm^3 so to multiply it up tp 100cm^3 i multiplied it by 5. Then I used the mr of paracetamol which was 150 and multiplied it by the moles to get a mass of like 0.4something and i divided that by 0.5 x100 to get percentage by mass. Don't know if this is entirely the right method but got the same answer as most of my peers.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry MS looking fair
    http://paper-cut.weebly.com/gce-2008-ms.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)

Yeah it is 300 UMS again?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the grade boundaries will be guys ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    What do you think the grade boundaries will be guys ?
    I am thinking 74 for an A* in unit 4 and 77 for an A* in unit 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandMasti)
    I am thinking 74 for an A* in unit 4 and 77 for an A* in unit 5
    Really I thought it would be quite opposite for unit 4 and 5

ReputationRep:
    omg how did you find these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecake123)
    omg how did you find these?
    I saw the link to the website on results day thread!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is 300 UMS again?
    Fingers crossed... Depends on the gb really! Lost a chunk on unit 4 but people complained about the paper so yeah...

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed... Depends on the gb really! Lost a chunk on unit 4 but people complained about the paper so yeah...
    What do you think the gb will be for unit 4 and 5?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the gb will be for unit 4 and 5?
    Not very good at giving exact values for prediction (especially as I've lost my memory of MCQ difficulty lol) but I'd say lower than average for unit 4 and higher than average for unit 5... 73 and 77 for A*?
    Here's me hoping unit 5 is lower though lol

ReputationRep:
    Not very good at giving exact values for prediction (especially as I've lost my memory of MCQ difficulty lol) but I'd say lower than average for unit 4 and higher than average for unit 5... 73 and 77 for A*?
    Here's me hoping unit 5 is lower though lol
    If it's 77 for A* in Unit 5, I think my dreams of getting even an A will shatter into pieces. That's too much for Unit 5! :s

ReputationRep:
    everyone here is really clever ; congrats to you all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabahshahed294)
    If it's 77 for A* in Unit 5, I think my dreams of getting even an A will shatter into pieces. That's too much for Unit 5! :s
    Haha I also hope for a lower one, but I seem to remember people saying the paper was nice after the exam

ReputationRep:
    Haha I also hope for a lower one, but I seem to remember people saying the paper was nice after the exam
    It was nice actually. I expected a much worse paper. But too high gbs are quite deadly..considering the fact that, if you make silly mistakes,you're dead! :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabahshahed294)
    It was nice actually. I expected a much worse paper. But too high gbs are quite deadly..considering the fact that, if you make silly mistakes,you're dead! :hide:
    That Unit 5 did feel okay but there were a few tricks in it so I think 77-78 is a good bet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.