Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    I would think it's something to do with a shift in the electron density around the molecule; if you imagine the electron density as a 'cloud', when the molecule vibrates or the bonds stretch/bend, I'm guessing that the electron density is redistributed around a certain atom more than another, causing the change in the dipole moment?

I actually have no idea whether that's right, but that's what my reasoning would be haha.
    lol. Haha no issues.

ReputationRep:
    stupid question, but in the mark scheme where it says ' IGNORE SF except 1 SF'. What does this mean exactly ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _H_V)
    stupid question, but in the mark scheme where it says ' IGNORE SF except 1 SF'. What does this mean exactly ?
    Basically, it means that you can give the answer to any significant figure (I usually do 3) except 1 significant figure. So like, you can round 5465.43 to 5470 (3 s.f.) but you couldn't round it to 5000 (1s.f.).

That's my understanding of it haha! I always go with 3 s.f., unless the question specifically states otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Basically, it means that you can give the answer to any significant figure (I usually do 3) except 1 significant figure. So like, you can round 5465.43 to 5470 (3 s.f.) but you couldn't round it to 5000 (1s.f.).

That's my understanding of it haha! I always go with 3 s.f., unless the question specifically states otherwise
    Thanks, yeah thats what I figured, just wanted to make sure

ReputationRep:
    I've done all the past papers for unit 4, is there any point of doing IAL papers? each year just seems to be a slightly different version of the UK papers, are they supposed to be harder ?

ReputationRep:
    If I did all the papers do you think that would be enough revision along with learning the stuff I get wrong on all the past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _H_V)
    I've done all the past papers for unit 4, is there any point of doing IAL papers? each year just seems to be a slightly different version of the UK papers, are they supposed to be harder ?

The standard is pretty much the same. You can do them for the sake of practice.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465222820.051929.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  139.6 KB
    Don't really get question c(I)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually, you just have to compare the data that is given to you in the question with the Infrared Spectrum values in the data booklet. If you check the data booklet, you'll see that both of the peaks indicate the presence of an amide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabahshahed294)
    Actually, you just have to compare the data that is given to you in the question with the Infrared Spectrum values in the data booklet. If you check the data booklet, you'll see that both of the peaks indicate the presence of an amide.
    Meant the question above it the 4 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Meant the question above it the 4 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Opps. My bad! Let me try and if I get the answer, I'll explain. Which year is this btw?

ReputationRep:
    Opps. My bad! Let me try and if I get the answer, I'll explain. Which year is this btw?
    Jan 2013 unit 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465225424.412313.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  128.8 KB

Are we meant to know all these reactions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should be able to get 2 marks from the ratios alone, then you need to consider which of the remaining groups are in the same environment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    You should be able to get 2 marks from the ratios alone, then you need to consider which of the remaining groups are in the same environment
    Was trying it out. But, how many are in the same environment? 5 or 6?

ReputationRep:
    tells you the ratios in the question

ReputationRep:
    It's 6 says it in the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a hint given in the question. "label from a-f"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    There is a hint given in the question. "label from a-f"
    not to mention the '6 hydrogen environments' right before'

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465225424.412313.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  128.8 KB

Are we meant to know all these reactions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone know if we're meant to know all This

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.