Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    F

(Original post by TeaAndTextbooks)
    Can anyone help with this question please? I'm kind of confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, work out the number of moles of NaOH used in the titration using moles = volume * concentration / 1000.

Then, work out the number of moles of HCl present at equilibrium - since the HCl was used as a catalyst, this will be the same as the original number of moles (which you can work out using the info provided).

Then, work out number of moles of ethanoic acid left at equilibrium by taking away the number of moles of HCl from the number of moles of NaOH, since the NaOH reacted with both the ethanoic and hydrochloric acids.

From here, you can work out the other equilibrium moles etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funky_Giraffe)
    Hey guys, can someone please explain what the heck this question is on about? How are we supposed to know to compare experimental and theoretical lattice energies?!

You compare them to show that one difference is greater than the other - supports the fact that one has more covalent character than the other surely?

ReputationRep:
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...-June-2014.pdf

Help with Q9 d ii

Answer is negative is mark scheme, even though I get a +ve answer on my calculator, is this because in the question above it states temperatures Rises which means its an exothermic reaction hence the negative sign or am I just doing the wrong thing?.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 18.28.37.png
Views: 99
Size:  19.1 KBAttachment 549197549199
    any hep with this one
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    You compare them to show that one difference is greater than the other - supports the fact that one has more covalent character than the other surely?
    Oh right. So if there's more covalent character, there's a greater difference between the values and this means it will dissolve easier in solution? Or is it the other way around? Forgotten all my AS!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 18.28.37.png
Views: 99
Size:  19.1 KBAttachment 549197549199
    any hep with this one
    Firstly, find the number of moles of HCl and NaOH. Take their difference to get the moles of ethanoic acid remaining in equilibrium. The moles you will get are the moles that are remaining after reaction so initial moles-moles that have reacted= moles at equilibrium. Using this relationship, you can deduce the moles of the ester and water as well as the alcohol. Substitute your answer in the Kc expression.

Note: To calculate moles of NaOH, use the mean titre.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys good luck for tomorrow!!!

ReputationRep:
    Why is the answer to MCQ 2=B and not A?
    Also why is the answer to 5a = B and not A?
    https://c838cff4741acb48ae1ed62e5992...0Chemistry.pdf

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Look back to post #641 on this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post65718631

I did an explanation
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    F

Firstly, work out the number of moles of NaOH used in the titration using moles = volume * concentration / 1000.

Then, work out the number of moles of HCl present at equilibrium - since the HCl was used as a catalyst, this will be the same as the original number of moles (which you can work out using the info provided).

Then, work out number of moles of ethanoic acid left at equilibrium by taking away the number of moles of HCl from the number of moles of NaOH, since the NaOH reacted with both the ethanoic and hydrochloric acids.

From here, you can work out the other equilibrium moles etc.
    Thank youu

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can someone please explain what the heck this question is on about? How are we supposed to know to compare experimental and theoretical lattice energies?!

The lattice enthalpy values are given in the data booklet, so you compare them. LiCl will not have a large between its experimental value and theoretical value, while LiI will have a large difference, because the Li, can polarise the larger iodide more that it can polarise the Chloride ion, so lithium iodide shows more covalent character, hence it is more soluble in organic solvents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj3k)
    Why is the answer to MCQ 2=B and not A?
    Also why is the answer to 5a = B and not A?
    https://c838cff4741acb48ae1ed62e5992...0Chemistry.pdf

Thanks in advance
    Question 2: When talking about thermodynamic feasibility, this is ALWAYS talking about entropy. You chose to talk about activation energy, which is to do with kinetics.

So something that is kinetically stable will have a high activation energy.

Something thermodynamically stable will have a more negative ΔS(total).

Question 5: count the moles of gas on each side of the equilibrium equation, and you should be able to figure that one out. Why it isn't A is because it is B.

Lol jk but if a gas is more pressured then surely it helps it go through the reactor anyway? Much like pushing harder to get onto a packed train will make people want to move out of the way so they aren't so squashed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. So if there's more covalent character, there's a greater difference between the values and this means it will dissolve easier in solution? Or is it the other way around? Forgotten all my AS!!
    Greater difference = greater deviation from perfect ionic model = more covalent character = more easy to dissolve in organic solvent

ReputationRep:
    Hey! COuld someone tell me when to and when not to include H2O in the equilibrium constant expression? Because in the CHem U6 exam, we were supposed to include water in the expression, I thought the Ionization of water is a constant. Isn't that so?

ReputationRep:
    Help, I have no idea how you do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which paper is this from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandy_Vega30)
    Hey! COuld someone tell me when to and when not to include H2O in the equilibrium constant expression? Because in the CHem U6 exam, we were supposed to include water in the expression, I thought the Ionization of water is a constant. Isn't that so?
    include water if all the reactants are liquids
    don't include water if water is the solvent (i.e. if the reactants are (aq))
    hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    Which paper is this from?
    Jan 15 IAL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandy_Vega30)
    Include h20 in the expression when its a product but not when its a reactant, thats how i learnt it in class

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OMG I did this question like 5 minutes ago! Let me just take a photo of what I wrote

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.