Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacroniCheese)
    Good stuff! You should be good to go by next Wednesday
    Looool I hope so XD Won't stop me from worrying myself like crazy though hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, anybody got any tips on EXAM TECHNIQUE?? Im so sussed by it, I just cant seem to hack that understanding of what it is and how to master it whelp.

ReputationRep:
    samb1234 Ayman! Can someone explain why the reaction on the right occurs by addition?

Name:  lol.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  30.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keres)
    15 cm3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon requires 90 cm3 of oxygen for completecombustion, both volumes being measured at 15􀁱C and 1 atm. The formula of thehydrocarbon is

A C4H6
    B C4H8
    C C4H10
    D impossible to calculate without knowing the molar volume of gases underthese conditions.

Guys how do you do this? Please help
    (Original post by keres)
    15 cm3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon requires 90 cm3 of oxygen for completecombustion, both volumes being measured at 15􀁱C and 1 atm. The formula of thehydrocarbon is

A C4H6
    B C4H8
    C C4H10
    D impossible to calculate without knowing the molar volume of gases underthese conditions.

Guys how do you do this? Please help
    Anyone? :') x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    samb1234 Ayman! Can someone explain why the reaction on the right occurs by addition?

It's because benzene needs to undergo substitution reactions because the delocalised ring of electrons needs to be maintained for stability - however with cyclohexa1-3 diene, there is no delocalised ring structure. it is comprised of 3 double bonds, and double bonds can undergo addition reactions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keres)
    It's because benzene needs to undergo substitution reactions because the delocalised ring of electrons needs to be maintained for stability - however with cyclohexa1-3 diene, there is no delocalised ring structure. it is comprised of 3 double bonds, and double bonds can undergo addition reactions.
    Ahhh of course! Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keres)
    Anyone? :' x
    What's the answer for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabahshahed294)
    What's the answer for this?
    B x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keres)
    B x
    I did it like this:-
    We have the volume of the hydrocarbon and oxygen given to us(gaseous volumes) so I used the equation, moles=volume/molar volume and found the moles of both the hydrocarbon and oxygen which had a ratio of 1:6. As this is a complete combustion, we know the products are gonna be Carbon Dioxide and Water. So, I just wrote the equation using the molar ratio I calculated:-

CxHy + 6O2----> 4CO2+4H20.

There are total 12 oxygen atoms so to balance them, I wrote 4 CO2 and 4H20.
    This means that carbon:hydrogen ratio is 1:2 hence 4:8 in this case which is why you get C4H8 as the answer(B)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacroniCheese)
    Good stuff! You should be good to go by next Wednesday
    You know you're on TSR when 'good to go' = 120 ums. xD

ReputationRep:

It's an alkene

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if anyone got anywhere with putting together an unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Hey - what compound do diazonium ions decompose to when heated above 10oC? Was on a past paper but I've forgotten!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby07)
    Hey - what compound do diazonium ions decompose to when heated above 10oC? Was on a past paper but I've forgotten!
    phenol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    phenol
    Have you tried June 2013 (R)?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried June 2013 (R)?
    not yet only done june 2013 so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    not yet only done june 2013 so far
    Okay haha

ReputationRep:
    How come the answer is C here? I thought it'd be A as the electrodes are the same metals as those in solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    How come the answer is C here? I thought it'd be A as the electrodes are the same metals as those in solution?

if you put iron you'd set up potential of Fe/Fe2+ and Fe/Fe3+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)

If you look at the beaker on the right, you can see that the solution contains a mixture of FeSO4 (Fe2+ ions) and Fe2(SO4)3 (Fe3+) ions. Hence, there is no metal iron involved. The electrode is therefore made out of platinum, which is kind of the convention.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.