Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    That's why you cant have an ionic structure, it doesn't 'help' as such
    Does the relulsion in this case increase covalent character?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have summarised notes on all the organic reactions? Or know a good website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _H_V)
    Does anyone have summarised notes on all the organic reactions? Or know a good website

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.c...tic-routes.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luisgr8)
    Hello! One quick question. Are we supposed to know how to name complex ions? (cupprate...) Thanks

Someone please?

ReputationRep:
    Lads!!

ReputationRep:
    I got this 1 sec peeps

(Original post by luisgr8)
    Someone please?

ReputationRep:
    1. name the number of each type of ligand
    2. name of ligand
    3. Name of transitional metal ion(ending in ate if it is negative)
    4) charge on transition metal ion

[Cu (H20)6]2+

is hexa...aqua....coopper(||)

sabahshahed294 luisgr8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)
    2. name of ligand

[Cu (H20)6]2+

sabahshahed294 luisgr8
    Yeah. Correct.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _H_V)
    Thanks
    Welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)
    2. name of ligand

[Cu (H20)6]2+

sabahshahed294 luisgr8

Thanks!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Firstly the question is actually about TiCl4 not TiCl3. Now if we look at the structure for each of them in turn:

1. TiO2 is going to be linear, so there will be a central titanium ion with a +4 charge and an oxygen on either side of it with a -2 charge. Since it's linear, if you looked at another TiO2 the negatively charged oxygens will be electrostatically attracted to the positively charged Ti on another 'unit' and vice versa, meaning you will get an ionic lattice.

2. TiCl4 will be tetrahedral, so we will have a central Ti 4+ with 4 cl- around it. In this situation, it is not really possible for us to get any real amount of electrostatic attraction. if we put 2 TiCl4 near each other, then the Cl - would be attracted to the positive titanium, HOWEVER the positive titanium is itself surrounded by 4 negatively charged chlorines which essentially get in the way (as they repel the negatively charged cl) and prevent any ionic bonds, so instead you just have a molecular structure
    Ahh, thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Remember the difference between diamond and graphite? It's something like that. The mark scheme was surprisingly lenient with this one. I think I got this section C in my first mock back in December and I just left the entire 4 marks empty lol.

Haha I was only (half) joking, but thank you :hugs: I'm just worried that if I get a C on this paper I'll get a B overall and I can't let that happen. Organic chemistry and transition metals aren't topics that come naturally to me since I'm not naturally a chemist/biologist No doubt that I'm actually enjoying things though!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Lol, I just left it empty as well!!

No problem And SAME, I DON'T like transition metals at all, such a dull topic and I used to like organic chemistry but now after unit 5, I am hating it!!

ReputationRep:
    IAL Unit 5 papers are depressing. :sigh::sad: I did two of them and I feel like I know nothing! :'(

ReputationRep:
    Could someone tell me what this question is asking? I dont quite understand what its asking for?
    Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Could someone also explain why the ethandioate must be removed in this reaction?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done IAL January 2016? I liked the paper although the boundaries are super low...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done IAL January 2016? I liked the paper although the boundaries are super low...
    Ill try and have a look in the next few days, doing jan 2015 ial atm

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466262177.764748.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  100.8 KB
    Do these questions come up at all in unit 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    will do it in 1 hour

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.