Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    I've attached it a few posts ago, please take a look

It's better to understand the trend rather than use the data booklet, but yours is very good exam technique
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can someone explain why the reagent for step C is Br2? Since when could you heat an alkane with Br2 and make a bromoalkane? I thought you needed UV light etc. for that process...?!

ReputationRep:
    An experiment is carried out to check the oxidation number of chromium inchromium(II) ethanoate Cr2(CH3CO2)4(H2O)2.
    1.00 g (2.66 × 10−3 mol) of chromium(II) ethanoate is dissolved in 25 cm3 of1.00 mol dm−3 sulfuric acid.

The solution is diluted with distilled water until the volume is 250 cm3. 25.0 cm3 portions of the diluted solution are titrated with 0.00750 mol dm−3potassium manganate(VII).

Calculate the volume of potassium manganate(VII) needed to oxidize thechromium(II) ions present in each 25.0 cm3 portion to the +6 oxidation state.The manganese is reduced to the +2 oxidation state.

Question 21d from the IAL Jan 2016 paper, I cant seem to figure out why the ratio of manganate to chromium +2 is 4:5

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby07)
    Hey guys, can someone explain why the reagent for step C is Br2? Since when could you heat an alkane with Br2 and make a bromoalkane? I thought you needed UV light etc. for that process...?!

I think the UV light acts as the source of heat in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z.e.e)
    An experiment is carried out to check the oxidation number of chromium inchromium(II) ethanoate Cr2(CH3CO2)4(H2O)2.
    1.00 g (2.66 × 10−3 mol) of chromium(II) ethanoate is dissolved in 25 cm3 of1.00 mol dm−3 sulfuric acid.

The solution is diluted with distilled water until the volume is 250 cm3. 25.0 cm3 portions of the diluted solution are titrated with 0.00750 mol dm−3potassium manganate(VII).

Calculate the volume of potassium manganate(VII) needed to oxidize thechromium(II) ions present in each 25.0 cm3 portion to the +6 oxidation state.The manganese is reduced to the +2 oxidation state.

Question 21d from the IAL Jan 2016 paper, I cant seem to figure out why the ratio of manganate to chromium +2 is 4:5

Any ideas?
    MnO4- + 8H+ 5Cr2+ --> 5Cr3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O.
    Combine half equations of cr3+ and MnO4- in acidic conditions. Should be 1:5 not 4:5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franckenstar)
    MnO4- + 8H+ 5Cr2+ --> 5Cr3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O.
    Combine half equations of cr3+ and MnO4- in acidic conditions. Should be 1:5 not 4:5
    The mark scheme quotes "4 mol manganate(VII) react with 5 mol ofchromium (II)"

The question says chromium oxidises from +2 to +6 though

-------

I got it now Cr goes from +2 to +6 so +2 ---> +6 + 4e-
    Mno4- goes from +7 to +2 so +7 + 5e- ----> +2

I forgot you needed to cross multiply to get equate the electrons

ratio is then 4 moles of manganate with 5 moles of chromium

ReputationRep:
    How od you do part c) I hate questions like this!! Is there an easy method?? Don Pedro K. C0balt samb1234 anyone?!

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 11.32.46.png
Views: 223
Size:  48.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    How od you do part c) I hate questions like this!! Is there an easy method?? Don Pedro K. C0balt samb1234 anyone?!

Um what I did for that question isn't using the x and y thing but by saying that the contraction of 20cm^3 is due to water condensing. So 10 of the hydrocarbon produces 20 of water. Water has 2 H atoms so a mole of the hydrocarbon has 4 moles of H atoms. And it says with KOH volume contracts by 40, so that is volume of CO2. 10 of the hydrocarbon produces 40 of CO2 and CO2 contains one C atom, so a mole of the hydrocarbon has 4 moles of C atoms. Therefore C4H4, and I checked with the x and y thing whether it was right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Um what I did for that question isn't using the x and y thing but by saying that the contraction of 20cm^3 is due to water condensing. So 10 of the hydrocarbon produces 20 of water. Water has 2 H atoms so a mole of the hydrocarbon has 4 moles of H atoms. And it says with KOH volume contracts by 40, so that is volume of CO2. 10 of the hydrocarbon produces 40 of CO2 and CO2 contains one C atom, so a mole of the hydrocarbon has 4 moles of C atoms. Therefore C4H4, and I checked with the x and y thing whether it was right.
    Thank you so much. Much clearer in my head now!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. Much clearer in my head now!
    Np ☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Np ☺
    what's the definition of standard electrode potential? its seems to be different every time. Would ( the potential difference when the electrode is connected to a standard hydrogen electrode at 1 moldm-3, a atm and 298 k) be a good answer?

ReputationRep:
    How are these two displayed complexes different?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramadeen)
    what's the definition of standard electrode potential? its seems to be different every time. Would ( the potential difference when the electrode is connected to a standard hydrogen electrode at 1 moldm-3, a atm and 298 k) be a good answer?
    Yeah that would be OK

ReputationRep:
    How are these two displayed complexes different?
    They aren't, one maps to the other upon rotation.

ReputationRep:

I literally have no clue how you would do this haha XD This is from an IAL paper, I presume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    I literally have no clue how you would do this haha XD This is from an IAL paper, I presume?
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    Yup
    Haha thought so xD I want to understand how to do it, feel like we could get one like this after that flipping unit 4...Which paper is it from?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466339075.296143.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  122.4 KB
    What would z be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    gabby07 dw I got it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    gabby07 dw I got it
    C0balt explained it well in the previous page

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.