Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Yes it's always the case. Chemguide has good info on them (I would happily send my notes, but they're handwritten and would take too long to digitise)
    Could you maybe take a photo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Could you maybe take a photo?
    There are 200 pages ish, would take too long and tbh it's basically just chemguide without the bits irrelevant to the spec so you may as well just go on chemguide if you know what topic it is

ReputationRep:
    There are 200 pages ish, would take too long and tbh it's basically just chemguide without the bits irrelevant to the spec so you may as well just go on chemguide if you know what topic it is
    Oh right hahaha no problem XD I meant just the notes on this particular bit though, unless you have 200 pages of notes just for that o.O...XD I'll look on chemguide.

ReputationRep:
    In my CGP, it says that the acid is added to ensure that there are plenty of H+ ions to allow te oxidising agent (potassium manganate (VII)) to be reduced (look at the half equation for MnO4- --> Mn2+ and you will understand why this is).

So, based on this, if not enough acid is added, the oxidising agent won't be sufficiently reduced, so I'm guessing the iron (II) ions won't be oxidised properly into Fe3+, so you'll mostly have Fe2+ ions, which are green in colour. I would guess the answer is hence B.

Is that right?
    its C

ReputationRep:
    In my CGP, it says that the acid is added to ensure that there are plenty of H+ ions to allow te oxidising agent (potassium manganate (VII)) to be reduced (look at the half equation for MnO4- --> Mn2+ and you will understand why this is).

So, based on this, if not enough acid is added, the oxidising agent won't be sufficiently reduced, so I'm guessing the iron (II) ions won't be oxidised properly into Fe3+, so you'll mostly have Fe2+ ions, which are green in colour. I would guess the answer is hence B.

Is that right?
    I think I get it bec of your explanation:
    So theres not enough H+ which means lesser MnO4- turn into Mn2+ so since there's more MnO4-, they react with more Fe2+ therefore producing more Fe3+ - thats why the ppt is brown?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayvaak)
    Is the answer supposed to be C?
    Yep it is. Im not sure bout my reasoning though so could you explain yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imnoteinstein)
    yeah my reasoning is flawed :s! Sorry! samb1234 will probably be able to help you out ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imnoteinstein)
    yeah my reasoning is flawed :s! Sorry! samb1234 will probably be able to help you out ^_^
    With not enough H+ instead of Mn2+ you will get MnO2 which is a brown solid

ReputationRep:
    righttttt thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    MnO4. If I don't have enough hydrogen ions, i.e 8 to form 4 h2o, then I will have 'left over' oxygens which will just react with the manganese cation

ReputationRep:
    MnO4. If I don't have enough hydrogen ions, i.e 8 to form 4 h2o, then I will have 'left over' oxygens which will just react with the manganese cation
    I will never understand how you know all of this... XD

ReputationRep:
    So if the Fe3+ was oxidised, what oxidation state would the iron have to have, and the same for if it was reduced and which is more common
    so was the answer A to Question 6?

ReputationRep:
    Hope the paper on Wednesday isn't as bad as January 2016's IAL paper... Was dropping marks left and right and almost gave up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Hope the paper on Wednesday isn't as bad as January 2016's IAL paper... Was dropping marks left and right and almost gave up.
    Well unit 4, Jan 2016 IAL was easy but our one was difficult so I'm hoping that since Jan 2016 IAL Unit 5 was hard, our one is easy lol

I just want an A so I can get on with my life xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayvaak)
    so was the answer A to Question 6?
    Ye blud.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  140.2 KB
    Hi guys... Can anyone explain to me how can you solve this????
    The answer is A btw.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with this please ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Can someone help me with this please ?
    Lemme guess...this is from an IAL paper.

ReputationRep:
    Lemme guess...this is from an IAL paper.
    Thats UK 2014

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.