Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Ayman! C0balt can you guys explain why the lines are in the order that they are? I thought that since benzene = -205 or whatever it was and structure X (Kekulé) = -354 (3 * -118), shouldn't the line for X be below that of benzene??

Attachment 554341554343

Attachment 554341
    Because cyclohexane is at the bottom, so to go from benzene to it is -205ish whereas from X is -360ish so bigger jump. If you took cyclohexane as your 0, then by definition upwards benzene is at +205 and x is at +360

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    You mean high resistance

I agree
    Yeah woops

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazyy)
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but how does oxygen have anything to do with a flame being sooty? Soot = Carbon. Oxygen plays no part here.
    The fact that one mole of benzene requires 15 moles of oxygen should sound TOO DAMN HIGH.

It cropped up in one of my lessons and it is said that complete combustion of benzene won't always occur because of this.
    So instead of complete combustion you get incomplete combustion, hence the production of our favourites: carbon (and carbon monoxide).

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but how does oxygen have anything to do with a flame being sooty? Soot = Carbon. Oxygen plays no part here.
    Because you only get carbon when there isn't enough oxygen to react with it to form co2. So if it requires a huge amount of oxygen to burn completely, it's more likely that there won't be enough oxygen available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wunderbarr)
    The fact that one mole of benzene requires 15 moles of oxygen should sound TOO DAMN HIGH.

It cropped up in one of my lessons and it is said that complete combustion of benzene won't always occur because of this.
    So instead of complete combustion you get incomplete combustion, hence the production of our favourites: carbon (and carbon monoxide).
    I think I was wrong...
    http://prntscr.com/bj5yoq

ReputationRep:
    I think I was wrong...
    http://prntscr.com/bj5yoq
    It's all right

We're all here to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Has chromium chemistry come up in much of the recent past papers? As well as uses of transition metals in industry? Could be something to revise if not.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god unit 5 papers are so longgggggg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know how to prepare cholesteryl benzoate and methyl 3-nitrobenzoate. Its in the cgp but its never come up in papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonPedrodoc)
    Do we need to know how to prepare cholesteryl benzoate and methyl 3-nitrobenzoate. Its in the cgp but its never come up in papers
    Let's hope not

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure we don't need to know it although check the spec just in case

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure we don't need to know it although check the spec just in case
    It says we do on the spec

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys time yourself when you the past paper? I have never finish on time when I do lol . I am really worried I will run out of time tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Why is Sulfuric Acid needed when oxidizing alcohols?

ReputationRep:
    It's in the spec and I don't think I've come across it in past papers. Knowing Edexcel it's probably better to be familiar with those preparations

ReputationRep:
    what page cgp??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bertie Paterson)
    Why is Sulfuric Acid needed when oxidizing alcohols?
    ensures theres enough H+ ions to oxidise the alcohol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahatara Sadique)
    Hi everyone, would appreciate if anyone can help me out in these mcqs:

1. If the temperature of of the nitration of benzene is allowed to rise too high, dinitration and trinitration can occur. This is the evidence that the:
    A) nitro group is electron withdrawing
    B) nitro group is electron donating
    C) delocalisation energy of nitrobenzene is greater than that of benzene.
    D) delocalisation energy of nitrobenzene is less than that of benzene.
    Why is the answer A? I thought it was B.

2. June 2015 IAL Q17 Why is the answer B?
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Which of the following reagents would enable you to separate iron(III) hydroxide from amixture of iron(III) hydroxide and copper(II) hydroxide?
    A Dilute hydrochloric acid
    B Aqueous ammonia
    C Dilute nitric acid
    D Sodium hydroxide solution
    im confused, help please!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bertie Paterson)
    Bump
    I got that wrong but I think it's because the nitrogen has a lone pair which can be delocalised into the ring and making the ring more susceptible to further electrophilic attack

Edit
    I'm wrong ignore me thanksss

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.