Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Evening.
    I'm due to start my studies in September and being a single parent to one child I have to apply for the childcare grant.
    It's asking me how many hours I will need childcare for but obviously (or this may not be obvious but to me, I have no clue) I haven't started yet and I don't know how many hours I'll be at uni each week.
    My first year is a foundation year so I'm assuming this will make some difference.
    Please can anyone help? I'm going in completely blind with all these applications for everything.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Maia25)
    Evening.
    I'm due to start my studies in September and being a single parent to one child I have to apply for the childcare grant.
    It's asking me how many hours I will need childcare for but obviously (or this may not be obvious but to me, I have no clue) I haven't started yet and I don't know how many hours I'll be at uni each week.
    My first year is a foundation year so I'm assuming this will make some difference.
    Please can anyone help? I'm going in completely blind with all these applications for everything.
    If you contact your university and explain the situation and ask for some estimate of scheduled teaching time for the courses you're applying to they should be able to provide this. I'd definitely recommend bumping this up a bit to allow for travel time and crap timetabling. They might be willing to share a timetable for the current year with you (on the understanding that your wont be identical) to give you a better idea of the times you will need to be at uni for.

University courses are built on the assumption that all students will study 1,200 hours per year - spread over a 30 week term that amounts to about 40 hours a week (but includes independent study which I don't know if a childcare grant would cover you for).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! I'll do that. It just seems they expect you to know all the answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.