Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm about to start the IB this September and I've really got no one to tell me what I should actually be aiming for without expecting too much of myself. I'm unsure about what to take yet but it should look something like this:

Maths/French HL
    Geography HL
    A science (unsure which one) HL

English Lit. SL
    French/Maths SL
    A science SL

Please don't tell me HL Maths is hard - I'm aware.
    Keeping in mind I joined the English education system without knowing the language at the end of year 7, here's what I'm aiming for at GCSE:

Maths - A*
    French - A*
    Geography - A*
    Physics - A/A*
    Chemistry - B(finished)
    Biology - B(finished)
    English Lit. - B(finished)

Lastly, let me just explain how the hell I got B's in Bio and Chem:
    In year 9, I spoke very little English and still somehow got a very high B - I don't think that's something to be ashamed of
    In year 10, my teacher put me forward fo C3 higher in Chem, and I went into it without thinking. The stumbling block wasn't my mathematic ability, it was that I didn't turn up to all C3 higher sessions that took place outside the school day. I then not only screwed up C3, but also C1 and 2 - I only got As in those. I'm not letting the same happen this year.

I'm not sure about what to do at uni.

Thank you so much for your help people!!

ReputationRep:
    You should look at university courses you are curious about in advance and see what subjects and grades they require. Then aim to fulfill those requirements. My two cents ~

ReputationRep:
    I would say aim for 38-40 with at least 6,6,6 in HL. However, it's hard to say, some people get on better with the IB some worse, you'll see for yourself what you're capable of

ReputationRep:
    Always aim for 40+.

ReputationRep:
    45 or gitfo kid

ReputationRep:
    Never aim for lower than 35 (an excellent score in the IB). If you want to go to a very good university, then you really do need to aim for 35+! Try getting at least 17 points in the HL subjects as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minä)
    You should look at university courses you are curious about in advance and see what subjects and grades they require. Then aim to fulfill those requirements. My two cents ~
    A thoughtful suggestion, but I dont know what ill go on to do at uni. Not even along what lines.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you should do that. It clearly depends on what you want to study. However, in general, anything between 35 and 45 is great and will guarantee a place at an excellent uni.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if I end up taking maths hl my chances of getting close to a 777 for highers might be little lower........is that a problem even though universities know that ib maths is hard (a 4 is the same as an A at a-level!!!! )? In other words, would, say, a 38 with hl maths be the same as a 40 with, say, hl biology? cos it's just so much harder to get a high mark in maths

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Document...TMAT-Paper.pdf

ReputationRep:
    40+ with 666 or 667 is a very good score. It will suffice for nearly all unis. After that, it depends on your application and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    40 plus with good grades at higher level too.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.