Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pharmacy at Bath University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering putting bath as my first choice but I'm just wondering:
    In terms of the course, is it good? are the lecturers interested in what they do? Are they organised? It also came to my attention that it's the only healthcare science in the university, has this been an issue for you?
    Also would you say the university is too small? Does it get a bit boring sometimes? What's the nightlife like? Are the facilities good- I heard the library gets really full? What would you recommend accommodation wise? And what is the worst thing about studying there? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make the right decision. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student11198)
    I'm considering putting bath as my first choice but I'm just wondering:
    In terms of the course, is it good? are the lecturers interested in what they do? Are they organised? It also came to my attention that it's the only healthcare science in the university, has this been an issue for you?
    Also would you say the university is too small? Does it get a bit boring sometimes? What's the nightlife like? Are the facilities good- I heard the library gets really full? What would you recommend accommodation wise? And what is the worst thing about studying there? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make the right decision. Thank you
    Hey, I'm currently in my second semester for first year pharmacy at Bath. I'd say the thing about the course that has impressed me is the fact that all the lecturers are quite passionate about what they do and therefore are a really good help. For me, going from A level biology to this degree level physiology has been the biggest jump, so much detail. However lecturers know the content is complex and are always willing to help.
    Accommodation wise, it is quite expensive, I'm living in the second cheapest accommodation which includes just a basic room for £122 a week. Compared to othrr unis which have en suite showers and stuff for cheaper prices.
    The uni is really good fun, all sorts of stuff going on, parade (its like the campus high street sort of) is usually buzzing! Freshers week was insane! However this course is very intense so you won't be able to get involved as much compared to other courses.
    I'd say all facilities are very good and whats nice is it looks like a modern uni compared to others I visited.
    And you are correct about the library. It is ridiculous! I don't bother trying to get a computer or anything like that, I just borrow useful books. To be fair, if you come here there is an entire floor on the library for science so there is plenty of choice.
    One big thing about pharmacy at Bath is getting pre reg placements isn't as hard compared to others. My tutor told me "employers actively look for our pharmacy students".
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjiborn)
    Hey, I'm currently in my second semester for first year pharmacy at Bath. I'd say the thing about the course that has impressed me is the fact that all the lecturers are quite passionate about what they do and therefore are a really good help. For me, going from A level biology to this degree level physiology has been the biggest jump, so much detail. However lecturers know the content is complex and are always willing to help.
    Accommodation wise, it is quite expensive, I'm living in the second cheapest accommodation which includes just a basic room for £122 a week. Compared to othrr unis which have en suite showers and stuff for cheaper prices.
    The uni is really good fun, all sorts of stuff going on, parade (its like the campus high street sort of) is usually buzzing! Freshers week was insane! However this course is very intense so you won't be able to get involved as much compared to other courses.
    I'd say all facilities are very good and whats nice is it looks like a modern uni compared to others I visited.
    And you are correct about the library. It is ridiculous! I don't bother trying to get a computer or anything like that, I just borrow useful books. To be fair, if you come here there is an entire floor on the library for science so there is plenty of choice.
    One big thing about pharmacy at Bath is getting pre reg placements isn't as hard compared to others. My tutor told me "employers actively look for our pharmacy students".
    Hope this helps
    Thanks so much, I think I'm definitely going to put it as my first choice, however I'm just wondering which accommodation I should choose. I really would like an en suite, but I've heard that it's mainly international students that stay in the nicer accommodation, is this true? Where would you say would be the most fun to stay in with an en suite?
    Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Hope this helps
    Hey, is it possible if you could tell me the reading list you received as a first year undergraduate student. Im actually really worried about my chemistry knowledge because I am a gap year student, forgotten mostly all my A level chemistry knowledge. Do Bath kinda teach the modules from the basics ( obviously not the BASICS basics, i know that of course XD)

ReputationRep:
    You also should consider that Bath has January exams. You're going to experience it for 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student11198)
    Thanks so much, I think I'm definitely going to put it as my first choice, however I'm just wondering which accommodation I should choose. I really would like an en suite, but I've heard that it's mainly international students that stay in the nicer accommodation, is this true? Where would you say would be the most fun to stay in with an en suite?
    Thanks so much
    Okay thats cool! However you'll be paying about £150 a week (cheapest en suite) for the en suite places. Nah thats not true, there are international students in quite a few of the accommodations. Tbh you will either be lucky or unlucky because I think its about the people you live with not the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    Hey, is it possible if you could tell me the reading list you received as a first year undergraduate student. Im actually really worried about my chemistry knowledge because I am a gap year student, forgotten mostly all my A level chemistry knowledge. Do Bath kinda teach the modules from the basics ( obviously not the BASICS basics, i know that of course XD)
    Hi! There are three books that I think are vital and very useful:
    - John McMurry's Organic Chemistry with Biological Applications (I have the 2nd edition, has a purple flower on it)
    - Vander's Human physiology (I have 12th edition)
    - Rang and Dale's Pharmacology (8th edition)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    You're going to want to brush up on reaction mechanisms (we did so many of those on 1st semester). Nomenclature is important, biochemistry of enzyme active sites (again more mechanisms). Just focus loads on organic chemistry. Plus brush up on your maths (if you need to)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! There are three books that I think are vital and very useful:
    - John McMurry's Organic Chemistry with Biological Applications (I have the 2nd edition, has a purple flower on it)
    - Vander's Human physiology (I have 12th edition)
    - Rang and Dale's Pharmacology (8th edition)
    Thanks so much! Iv actually got the pharmaceutical calculations workbook and textbook by Judith A Rees, so hopefully that'll be helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.